removing places

Jul 11, 2017
LAKE CITY, FL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only been doing this a couple of months, this has taught me where to not go. I had old trailer lots and property that had trailers removed. I began to think what was there and how they looked. It proved my point. rundown places equal trash, bottle caps, metal, and cans. Am I missing something? I have my AT PRO set on pro coins, iron set 36, ground interference set, sensitivity set 2 spots down. I have been hitting 52, 69 and use my at pro pinpointer to find the spot and there is nothing. I dig a foot around it with my little trowel. It says 6 in down, I do and find nothing. Am I doing something wrong? any advice would sincerely be appreciated.:icon_scratch:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ime, when a quality metal detector says X" and you hit X+2", its a large metal object at greater depth. Probably best to refill the hole and move on at that point. Deep Al cans in particular can mimic good stuff.

((no ideas about your settings, but the ATP is a very good machine imo))

OP
OP
L
Jul 11, 2017
LAKE CITY, FL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your reply, I always fill the holes completely. again thank you, I am going to study longer the sounds and the types better.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your reply, I always fill the holes completely. again thank you, I am going to study longer the sounds and the types better.

Like Champ said, if your ATP says your target is 4 inches down, and you dig a 4-6 inch deep plug and the pinpointer isn't beeping yet...exactly...abort mission! Also..your running basically the same exact settings I run on my ATP during normal hunting with my stock coil. Keep at it!! Ddf

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Like Champ said, if your ATP says your target is 4 inches down, and you dig a 4-6 inch deep plug and the pinpointer isn't beeping yet...exactly...abort mission! Also..your running basically the same exact settings I run on my ATP during normal hunting with my stock coil. Keep at it!! Ddf

Dirt-diggin-fool, You are right that: Experience shows that if the signal at the start, is eventually not commensurate with what the pinpointer is telling you, that , yes , it is too big to be a coin. Example: A soda can at 1 ft. might *sound* like a quarter @ 2 inches. Right ? Hence you KNOW something is wrong when you've got 4 or 6" out of the hole, and still not a peep on the pinpointer (yet your detector still shows dead-center in the middle of the hole). This usually means it's something bigger/deeper, hence not a coin.

But this struck me as SUCH AS EXAMPLE of a side-phenomenon of our age of dazzling detector improvements: Ever since the late 1970s and early 1980s, it has become easier and easier to "size up" and "TID" targets. This is GREAT for coin-hunting. You can sort of 2nd-guess size, depth, shape, and conductivity (if and when a bit of "cherry-picking" is in order for certain junky situations). This has made detecting a lot of fun.

But an un-intended side consequence to this, has been that a lot less caches are ever found nowadays. Contrast to if you ever study the finds of those with primitive lousy BFO and early all-metal TR (1960s to early 1970s), you see a lot more caches (albeit accidental) found in those days. Because BY THEIR VERY NATURE, they lacked sensitivity or tell-tale-audio that we have now. And while they may have struggled to get a coin to 4" deep, yet they beeped quite nicely on deep hub-cap signals. So back in those days, w/o "whistles and bells", more caches were dug. But today, we are spoiled and pass those durned hubcap and soda can signals (durned that junk anyhow).

Kind of ironic how less-able machines of yesteryear were actually the superior coin-hunters. The less sensitive they are to small objects (single coins), and less tell-tale audio to spoil you, then the more "hubcap and soda-can" sized objects you are forced to dig.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirt-diggin-fool, You are right that: Experience shows that if the signal at the start, is eventually not commensurate with what the pinpointer is telling you, that , yes , it is too big to be a coin. Example: A soda can at 1 ft. might *sound* like a quarter @ 2 inches. Right ? Hence you KNOW something is wrong when you've got 4 or 6" out of the hole, and still not a peep on the pinpointer (yet your detector still shows dead-center in the middle of the hole). This usually means it's something bigger/deeper, hence not a coin.

But this struck me as SUCH AS EXAMPLE of a side-phenomenon of our age of dazzling detector improvements: Ever since the late 1970s and early 1980s, it has become easier and easier to "size up" and "TID" targets. This is GREAT for coin-hunting. You can sort of 2nd-guess size, depth, shape, and conductivity (if and when a bit of "cherry-picking" is in order for certain junky situations). This has made detecting a lot of fun.

But an un-intended side consequence to this, has been that a lot less caches are ever found nowadays. Contrast to if you ever study the finds of those with primitive lousy BFO and early all-metal TR (1960s to early 1970s), you see a lot more caches (albeit accidental) found in those days. Because BY THEIR VERY NATURE, they lacked sensitivity or tell-tale-audio that we have now. And while they may have struggled to get a coin to 4" deep, yet they beeped quite nicely on deep hub-cap signals. So back in those days, w/o "whistles and bells", more caches were dug. But today, we are spoiled and pass those durned hubcap and soda can signals (durned that junk anyhow).

Kind of ironic how less-able machines of yesteryear were actually the superior coin-hunters. The less sensitive they are to small objects (single coins), and less tell-tale audio to spoil you, then the more "hubcap and soda-can" sized objects you are forced to dig.

Tom in Ca....well said! With that in mind, it is correct to assume I'll not dig any cache's anytime soon...I guess it's due to the fact that EVERY deep signal I've chased beyond what seems like a coin has turned out to be a hubcap, huge iron or a soda can under ten inches of fill. Thanks for reminding me if my complacency, I do admit I've grown or leaned towards cherry picking, giving up when I realize my target is not a coin. And I do apologize to the OP for such misinformation. Tom, thanks for chiming in and setting things right, you'll be the first person I thank when I do unearth my first cache. At least when I do chase that hubcap, at least I'll know I'm walking away knowing what it was...Ddf

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I haven't used anything newer Than a Cz6a and a Garret 1200(?), can't remember the exact model number, one of the early ones with the led screen from the 90's that was too complicated for me to use after being use to the cz6a, just never even gave it a chance to learn the machine either. I have some older whites, But my choice is the cz6a.

A have no idea about the detector of the thread, but understand what you are saying and it is the reason why I dig Everything in places I can, within reason. I've dug some deep mercury dimes, silver halves, cents,even V and buffalo that I would have just passed up if I didn't dig everything ..... Some of them were tough to find too(I still don't use a pin pointer) !! The depth would seem to change as you dig sometimes. I've also had a big piece of iron around the spot a coin a little distance away, and had a hard time pinpointing(with machine). That's happened many times. Pop cans,pipe,wire, around do it too.

No clue if technology has really advanced all that far or not. or if machines just gained more bells and whistles. So...no clue if my experiences are even relevant with todays machines! :laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread