Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure what you are talking about as my Sunray inline probe with my Sov GT is an outside control box that it just screwed on to the Sov GT with a connection. There are no wires to solder. Maybe you can post a pic of what you are talking about.

Attachments

• NEW_S-1_PROBE_1.jpg
    NEW_S-1_PROBE_1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm wondering if this is a first-generation probe. From what I understand, the upper shaft is originally sent to Sunray for the installation. The probe electronics are wired directly inline from the detector head. The black lead on the right goes to the probe. The coil lead screws into the connector on the left. The probe control box is riveted directly to the upper shaft.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you may be better off trying for a trade or sell & buy a new one.

alot of those wires can be very tiny

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
you may be better off trying for a trade or sell & buy a new one.

alot of those wires can be very tiny
That's a good idea Jeff, but I'd like to eliminate it altogether. I don't understand why it's hard-wired inline to begin with.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
because the Explorer series has the coil wire inside the stem

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am with Jeff on this one. In a while if nobody can help you maybe you'd get better feed back from Sunray. Wires inside the shaft.........Of course.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
or are you referring to the Probe wire itself ?

002.JPG

it's just how the older models were.

I have 2 S1's one is Hard wired the other detachable

I ripped a 3rd one apart once, The wires feel like thread & are as thin

Last edited:
OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Jeff. I may just remove the probe from the assembly be unsoldering the probe wires at the circuit board.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are making this WAY too hard. Buy a replacement upper. Most of us with X1 probes have the old upper laying around. NExt, REPLACE THE SHAFT. You don't have to cut or un-solder anything. Remove the X1 upper, unscrew the X1 cable from the control cable, then re-install the coil cable as originally intended.

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
You are making this WAY too hard. Buy a replacement upper. Most of us with X1 probes have the old upper laying around. NExt, REPLACE THE SHAFT. You don't have to cut or un-solder anything. Remove the X1 upper, unscrew the X1 cable from the control cable, then re-install the coil cable as originally intended.
Hey thanks Jason, you are right! I didn't realize things were "connectorized" between the upper shaft and detector head, I thought the X1 was hard wired to the cable. You guys on Tnet are the best.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FFD, I'm curious why you wanted to remove the X1. Does it not work or do you just not like the style of probe?

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
FFD, I'm curious why you wanted to remove the X1. Does it not work or do you just not like the style of probe?
It came with the detector when I bought the machine used. Have used it for three years now. Lately it's been acting up when in probe mode, sounding off when in the hole in non-mineralized soil. On top of that, I'd like to eliminate the extra weight and go with a hand-held. My shoulder would appreciate that.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotcha. My last X1 gave up the ghost and started falsing like crazy. As long as it doesn't work right anyway, your could just cut the guts out and then drill out the rivits to remove the box. That way you won't have to buy a new upper. Method depends on whether or not the item works!

As for the weight, have you tried shortening your lower rod setting? Most people (including me) want to put it too far out and you end up muscleing the weight all day. Shorten the rod and let it hang natural.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread