Rented detector, found some stuff.

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
We rented a detector this morning and I went straight outside to try it out. A Garrett 100 is all they had. The rental place called it a "stake locator".
Well I found a couple of pennies, a dime and three old Winchester Nublack blackpowder shotshell bases.
The shotshells match the 1887 Winchester I inherited.
Found a LOT of damned nails and some more weird hunks of iron. No pulltabs... :dontknow:
I also found a sweet metal plate with little nail holes in the edge that are rusted. The plate is brass I suppose.
I also located the properties coal tinder. Right by the old road where you'd expect it to be.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Tomorrow is the day I am waiting for. I didn't expect much out of the yard with such a lowly model. It beeps incessantly and has no readout or volume control. I have no headphones so I taped over the speakerholes.
Tomorrow we are going to a birthday party in a park with a playground. That will be fun.

So I kind of walk along with it set to "coins" which is on the opposite spectrum of "all metal" so I assume it is what passes for a pinpoint? Anyways, I walk along with the disc sort of gliding over the grass and it beeps literally every few feet. I stop, swing a little to locate the "center". Then I cut a circle around the spot and check it again before I flip out the plug to check it again. I rest the detector beside the hole and start pulling the clod apart and use the disc to see if it has metal, if it doesn't it goes back into the hole. By using the disc constantly I can usually find whatever it is and use the grassy part of the plug to cover up my hole. This leaves some residual dirt, but I figure it will fade and soon the area will be back to normal.
Is that right? I don't want to ruin anything.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GL said:
Tomorrow is the day I am waiting for. I didn't expect much out of the yard with such a lowly model. It beeps incessantly and has no readout or volume control. I have no headphones so I taped over the speakerholes.
Tomorrow we are going to a birthday party in a park with a playground. That will be fun.

So I kind of walk along with it set to "coins" which is on the opposite spectrum of "all metal" so I assume it is what passes for a pinpoint? Anyways, I walk along with the disc sort of gliding over the grass and it beeps literally every few feet. I stop, swing a little to locate the "center". Then I cut a circle around the spot and check it again before I flip out the plug to check it again. I rest the detector beside the hole and start pulling the clod apart and use the disc to see if it has metal, if it doesn't it goes back into the hole. By using the disc constantly I can usually find whatever it is and use the grassy part of the plug to cover up my hole. This leaves some residual dirt, but I figure it will fade and soon the area will be back to normal.
Is that right? I don't want to ruin anything.

watch that video, it is the basics for the proper plug digging technique, which will leave virtually no sign of you being there.

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Neato.
Works for me. I'll be doing just that in the morning. I was getting better as the day wore on.

Good thing I was digging in my own yard. I will spare you all the photos of my holes...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread