replace dollar bills with coin legislation did it die already ?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Be careful what you wish for. Isn't Canada now going to do all their coins in a steel format? Think the U.S. will opt for a one, two or three dollar coin that will ring up in a high enough category so that carnie chasers won't have to dig nails to get the drops from the vomit rides?

Only upside if the coins were steel-based is newbies would have to dig everything to get the new "clad" and consequently remove tons of nails and old steel bottle caps from the trashy parks.

Hmmm...

Snarkie

Feb 14, 2011
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins are much more expensive to produce than paper currency. I remember when Canada switched from paper dollars to bronze dollars. All the strippers had to wear purses on their hips. It was tragic. :(

Just the other day, I paid for dollar overage at the grocery store, with a Kennedy half dollar. The idiot cashier looked at it with knitted brows, before going to the next cashier and asking what it was, and asking if it were legal tender. The other cashier had to explain how to treat it and count the change back. :help:

If these dipsticks don't even know what a $.50 piece is, how are they going to understand a dollar coin? :dontknow:

heat45

Sep 1, 2011
Detroit/Windsor
Primary Interest:
Other
Snarkie said:
Coins are much more expensive to produce than paper currency. I remember when Canada switched from paper dollars to bronze dollars. All the strippers had to wear purses on their hips. It was tragic. :(

Just the other day, I paid for dollar overage at the grocery store, with a Kennedy half dollar. The idiot cashier looked at it with knitted brows, before going to the next cashier and asking what it was, and asking if it were legal tender. The other cashier had to explain how to treat it and count the change back. :help:

If these dipsticks don't even know what a $.50 piece is, how are they going to understand a dollar coin? :dontknow:

What a waste of a Kennedy, even if it's a post-1964.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Snarkie, You brought up two very good points that I hadn't thought about, strippers and idiot cashiers. So maybe I should rethink my position about dollar coins.
On second thought, why be cheap and give the stripper just a dollar, you could giver her a $5, and that would solve half the problem, so I will stick with my pro dollar coin position. But then again, the coin shooters will complain about too much steel in the coins, not so easy for me to decide, but luckily, someone else will make that decision.

Happy hunting!

PS, I still enjoy finding a 2€ coin, even though its "worthless".

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maipenrai said:
Hey Snarkie, You brought up two very good points that I hadn't thought about, strippers and idiot cashiers. So maybe I should rethink my position about dollar coins.
On second thought, why be cheap and give the stripper just a dollar, you could giver her a $5, and that would solve half the problem, so I will stick with my pro dollar coin position. But then again, the coin shooters will complain about too much steel in the coins, not so easy for me to decide, but luckily, someone else will make that decision.

Happy hunting!

PS, I still enjoy finding a 2€ coin, even though its "worthless".

again $2.00 bills for Strippers is the way to go.
you get a near sighted one, who knows nothing about 2's
and till she finds out, she thinks your tipping 20's :laughing7:

OP
OP
scrounger d detector collector
Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
yea, bring on the 2 dollar bill. eliminate the penny.

cash drawers would have an extra empty compartment.

which could be used for halves or dollars.

i really think the dollar coins can fly too.

eventually.

this thread has now gone HOT but i still dont see any posts

about the original intent and question.

the pending legislation.

anyone know at least the bill number and who is the sponsor ?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the info. you requested- The Currency Optimization, Innovation and National Savings Act, or COINS Act, was introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives as H.R. 2977 on September 20, 2011 by Rep. David Schweikert of Arizona.

Also now-
There is a new study out that says that replacing the dollar bill will actually cost more money than it's worth.-Here is the short version-
http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...STUDY-Replacing-Dollar-Bill-Dollar-Coin-Won’t

And the full report-
http://americansforgeorge.org/websi...ep-the-Greenback_Fiscal-Economics_Fleenor.pdf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread