Reproductions: are informed sales ethical?

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing unethical about it. It's fine to have a different opinion but ethics dont apply here. They disclosed that the items are reproduction. May not be for you but they are doing nothing wrong.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I know several people who make arrowheads, spear heads, blades, and other items from obsidian, chert, and flint. Several are acclaimed craftsmen in the knapping world. One is a Dane who makes beautiful Clovis replicas from flint found in Denmark. Why should they be forbidden to sell their crafts, so long as they are honest about the origins? I am also familiar with a small group in Iceland that makes a good living making and selling replica Viking Era tools, weapons, and other items.

What your motivation is for your dislike of honest commerce, I will not venture a guess.

Time for more coffee.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some just don't care if it's the real deal or a Repro.
It's been happening for centuries in coinage-decades in the antiquity world.
If one can name it-it has been done before.
You want old anything-30 yrs ago in SE Asia they made it, buried it, dug it, sold it..........
Buyer beware

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Uninformed sales are unethical, really fraud. I've purchased a few repros myself of points I would otherwise be unable to find made by excellent modern knappers.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I DO NOT LIKE IT. Maybe I missed it, but are these permanently marked as repros?? The maker of ANY repro that is not permanently marked as such is unethical. Mark 'em and I have no problem with the "Art". IMHOP ONE fake in a collection taints the whole collection, especially for the future when you are gone. ballpeen..jpg

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like Tom's idea of engraving a repo. The maker could be an honest and very talented person. The buyer not so much.

Injunbro

Oct 8, 2011
SE Arizoa
I see no problem. I know of a mountain man group who used to enjoy living in the stone age for a weekend, week, etc. They used reproductions rather than wreck ancient artifacts. Several hunted w/ repro bows & arrows, antiques would be too brittle to use. Any real expert, archeologist, can tell by the edges which arrowhead is old & what isn't. Green River knives, rifles, muskets, axes, etc. have been copied for re-enactors, etc.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see no problem with it. They are art, after all. And they actually LOOK new. I can as a rule put an aboriginal point next to a new one and tell the difference.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no problem with it as long as it's in the open and not misleading. That auction was honest.

If I were to make one and sell it? Would it really be a reproduction or a modern made point? I probably couldn't make one...just using it as an example. My wife wants a clear quartz point, we have never found one. We may end up buying even a reproduction so she could have one.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It takes real skill and strength to make one apparently. I brought home some "excess" Flint Ridge Ohio, flint in 2018, and found out I could make smaller pieces from larger ones. I don't know how the folks who made them, whenever it was, were able to do so.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same dilemma exists in any collectibles market, numismatics, militaria ect.
I'd prefer not to see a market flooded with high quality fakes, but there are alot of things I would prefer that will never happen and I have no control of.
There is no way to stop it, best to ignore it and know your stuff when buying.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It takes real skill and strength to make one apparently. I brought home some "excess" Flint Ridge Ohio, flint in 2018, and found out I could make smaller pieces from larger ones. I don't know how the folks who made them, whenever it was, were able to do so.

I don't live all that far from there and still haven't been there yet!! hahaha. Maybe this summer!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't go in 2020. I also have about 20 POUNDS of worked artifacts from there. I gave away about three 5 gallon buckets of the rough material to a friend. It IS possible to tell recently knapped from the old stuff, if you study the artifacts and new pieces. With a hand lens, the differences are quite apparent.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a collector of ancient points. I also have a large frame of Jim Hopper art. All signed by Jim and most made from rare stone I personally gathered. These are not fakes. They are a totally different thing and I love them.

The original post asked if the auction was ethical. Those items arent fakes being represented as ancient. They are very nice art sold as exactly that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread