🥇 BANNER REPUBLIC OF TEXAS Star Button

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
I haven't posted anything in a while because I have been letting Vol1266X (Quindy) post our finds as the Tennessee Trio, which includes Josh. He asked me to post this button because of its rarity. We went to a new site on Tuesday which Josh had found for us. Josh found two reales and a bunch of flat buttons and a ball button. Quindy found a flat button a ball button and some round balls. Quindy would have found more but he spent a lot of his time filming Josh and his finds. haha I had found a few round balls and a flat button. Toward the end of the hunt, I found a dome button which I thought was an Eagle button. Since I did not have my glasses, I couldn't tell so Josh cleaned it off. He said it had a star in the middle. I thought he was just messing with me since we do that to each other every chance we get. After cleaning it up a little more, it turned out to be a Republic of Texas button. Thanks for looking, Doug Looking at the button with a better magnifying glass I have determined that the button is an Infantry button. There is an I in the middle of the star.

Attachments

• dsc01489.jpg
    dsc01489.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 603
Last edited:
Upvote 13

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ! There was one of these buttons found at a site I used to hunt in VA.I was told it was sold for $4500 :thumbsup:

Holy crappe!!!!! Dman is buying Margaritas!!!
Awesome find Doug. You da Man. Sounds like that button is as rare as seeing Bigfoot and Elvis together, or even rarer.......getting Quindy to but lunch.
My BANNER vote is in.
Get out there and find the rest of those buttons now!
-MM-

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgive my ignorance but I googled your button because it seemed you had a great find, judging from the comments :icon_thumright: but I noticed that there seemed to be different types of these buttons, and I would like to know more about the find.

It would seem you have a Banner button, could you enlighten a dumb Brit.:laughing7:

SS

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Forgive my ignorance but I googled your button because it seemed you had a great find, judging from the comments :icon_thumright: but I noticed that there seemed to be different types of these buttons, and I would like to know more about the find.

It would seem you have a Banner button, could you enlighten a dumb Brit.:laughing7:

SS
SS, Doug did not have his button book at home so I looked it up at his request now that he has seen the "I".
It is a Republic of Texas Infantry button. It is TX 10 in Albert's button book and is 19.5 mm (coat size). It has a Scovill Waterbury back mark and was first made in 1837 under a contract with Scovill. It's a rare button for sure. A CSA soldier may have worn it or the site may be a veteran's home. That will be an unsolved mystery. Anyway, it has a secure and cherished place in Doug's CW collection as it should. HH, Quindy (for Dman).

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this recently that reminded me of your star. Congratulations on a great find!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121122_222212.png
    ForumRunner_20121122_222212.png
    118.8 KB · Views: 122

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find. It seemed to have cleaned up well. So this button was made for the Texas Army to defend itself from Mexico. Great history and to end up in good ole Tennessee.
Priceless!
Congratulations!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a sweet button Dman:occasion14:

I just might be moving to the good ole Texas Republic if they get away from this hijacked Gov..

The vote is in:icon_thumright:

Blaze

rebelrouser

Dec 4, 2008
that is super find Doug.a Texas relic has always been on my wish list. i am very happy you found it. hope you three get back to that spot soon.hope all three of you had a great Thanksgiving.i am like Tennessee digger and thinking of going and getting a golf shirt.

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Way to go D!
I don't get on here much anymore, but this find is sure worth a reply.
Banner find all day long, congrats to you.
Go find some more:thumbsup:

Hill

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SS, Doug did not have his button book at home so I looked it up at his request now that he has seen the "I".
It is a Republic of Texas Infantry button. It is TX 10 in Albert's button book and is 19.5 mm (coat size). It has a Scovill Waterbury back mark and was first made in 1837 under a contract with Scovill. It's a rare button for sure. A CSA soldier may have worn it or the site may be a veteran's home. That will be an unsolved mystery. Anyway, it has a secure and cherished place in Doug's CW collection as it should. HH, Quindy (for Dman).

Now that I think about it, the other Texas Star button types I saw on here could have been similar but different (if that makes sense). Does anyone know if this is the first one of this type posted?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, I did see one the same, but could not see the 1 on the one posted.

Republic of Texas button, Infantry, Scovills & Co Waterbury rmdc dots dividing, stippled channel
, (19.3mm).
Button depicts "REPUBLIC OF TEXAS" along with the lone star and raised I for infantry. As an independent country, the Republic of Texas formed its own army to defend Texas against the Mexicans. Backmark: "SCOVILLS & CO / (dot) WATERBURY (dot)" rmdc on a stippled background, ca 1840's & 1850's, (ScovillC06). Two part low convex button, coat size.
Ref: Albert TX10, Tice TX208. I will now vote BANNER..:notworthy:

SS

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WooHoo, congrats Dman on a great piece of history you recovered! What a great moment that must have been for you and the trio when you had an inkling of what it could be!!

IM

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your 2nd BANNER. You are one of the few who potentially has an ALL C.S.A. BANNER-Your C.S.A. buckle (for sure) and Texas Infantry button that may have been lost by one of Col. Gano's Texas Cavalry troopers under the command of Gen. John Hunt Morgan. WTG , Quindy.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o:o Holey Mackerel !! Big Congrats on this outstanding rarity Dman ,, :hello2:

:skullflag: sorry about posting late , I spent Thursday night until sun up Fri camping out in front of Dicks Sporting Goods to get Black Friday deals on Puma and Adidas golf shirts .

Hope your MD attire choice works for me as well ;)

Last edited:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That button is high on many relic hunters list ! Big congrats.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
being a new site and finding these Great finds. I can hardly wait to see whats next. Hopefully even more republic of Texas relics. Great find,
Bill

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, I have been out of touch for a short time and just love what I came back to. The lone star of Texas. Very nice find. I have been on the hunt here for some time for one of them. Now I have to get out and do some digging. And that I will do.

Very well done Dman. HH

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a VERY well-deserved Banner!

Best Wishes,

Buck

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW Great button congrats!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread