Request for help in identifying object found near Ohio River

jefrenshaw

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning, everyone.

Yesterday I purchased the little guy in the attached picture. I bought him from a main in Jeffersonville, IN who said that he found him near the banks of the Ohio River. He said that he spoke with officials at the Falls of the Ohio State Park and that he was told that it is likely a Hopewell Rain God from around the 6th century AD. Unfortunately, the interpretation center at the Park is closed for renovation until fall, so I'm not able to speak with them myself.

Any idea what this could be? He seems like he's in awfully nice shape to be 1,400 years old. Also, any advice about where I can go in the southern Indiana / Louisville, KY area to get an expert opinion?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I'm new to treasure hunting.

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0132.JPG
    IMG_0132.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0128.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0130.JPG
    IMG_0130.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0131.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0133.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0134.JPG
    IMG_0134.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somehow I missed the word "bought" before posting the statement I jus deleted.

If real... then... "wow". :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to post more pictures of all sides including the bottom and close ups that are clear so we can see better. Moving this to Indian artifact forum were experts can look at it

Understand though, there are a lot of fakes sold.

OP
OP
J

jefrenshaw

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to post more pictures of all sides including the bottom and close ups that are clear so we can see better. Moving this to Indian artifact forum were experts can look at it

Understand though, there are a lot of fakes sold.

Thank you! I'll take a few more pictures and post to the artifact forum as you suggested.

Jeff

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! I'll take a few more pictures and post to the artifact forum as you suggested.

Jeff
You can post new pictures to this thread. I have already moved thread to Indian artifacts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jefrenshaw

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Charl is on to something, too. The one thing that doesn't match up though is geography. The man who found this piece told me he found it near the Ohio River. As far as I know, the Pueblo lived in the southwest. That said, this piece looks just like the Pueblo Rain God.

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Jefrenshaw" your pictures are
great, but you're missing a couple of details that could be helpful; is it made of pottery/ ceramic or perhaps some kind of stone? Size? Is it 5"s, 8"s tall, can't tell for sure only gauging from the 1rst picture with countertop and dishwasher in the background.
Similar shaped figurines have been reportedly found in the central states River valley complex area. Some of the Hopewell and Mississippian artifacts are known to have originated from very distant areas (Canada, Central America, coastal areas, etc..
As far as the figurine looking too good to be "that old" trust me, there are much older
artifacts which have been found that are in pristine condition.
Assuming that the seller was being honest with you, I would consider the possibility that it could be an unfinished effigy pipe. Similar effigies albeit without the tall neck open mouth have been found in your region that were pipes.
Here are a few examples from Arkansas, Arkansas, and Missouri. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436741474.005886.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436741533.886831.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436741590.096669.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436741632.997690.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436741660.433998.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436741688.393937.jpg

OP
OP
J

jefrenshaw

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark and others,

First, I want to thank you for all of your helpful insight. This is my first time to post to this forum and your willingness to help is awesome. The figurine in my photos is about 5 1/2" tall. Is there a tell tale way to determine whether he is clay or stone? He feels a little gritty, but I imagine that could be the texture in either case.

Thanks again!

Jeff

OP
OP
J

jefrenshaw

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple other things that may be worth pointing out...(A) There's a tiny hole in the bottom of the piece and another hole inside of the bowl. You can see the size of the hole in the pictures I posted. (B) It looks like the bowl and the body could be separate pieces. That makes me lean toward believing he's made of clay.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might just me and I could be totally wrong but I don't think so. It looks more modern to me than old. To me the material doesn't look rite but like I said I could be wrong. Welcome to the site

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe Charl is on to something, too. The one thing that doesn't match up though is geography. The man who found this piece told me he found it near the Ohio River. As far as I know, the Pueblo lived in the southwest. That said, this piece looks just like the Pueblo Rain God.

If it's a Pueblo Rain God, it may have been found in Ohio, but it's made in New Mexico. Sometime after 1880. Is it possible the man who told you that was not being completely honest? Is this something you wanted to be from Ohio? I hate to go here, but sometimes it happens. Provenance added that is what the buyer is looking for, rather then where it is really from. It's happened to me years ago. Like noted, it isn't impossible that someone found a pottery vessel from New Mexico in Ohio. The problem is, messing with provenance happens. And if you google "Hopewell Rain God", I don't think you'll find anything. Maybe he was just flat out mistaken. Maybe send photos to museums in the SW, asking what they think. If it's a genuine Tesuque Pueblo Rain God, you could research the value. I have seen them sell on eBay. Really, sounds like right ID, wrong locale where found. A rain god, but from the SW, not Hopewell. But Mark Todd knows your region better then me...

Last edited:

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark and others,

First, I want to thank you for all of your helpful insight. This is my first time to post to this forum and your willingness to help is awesome. The figurine in my photos is about 5 1/2" tall. Is there a tell tale way to determine whether he is clay or stone? He feels a little gritty, but I imagine that could be the texture in either case.

Thanks again!

Jeff

Most people with little experience can tell pottery from stone just by its weight compared to mass, or by tapping it lightly with your fingernail,or even tapping your teeth against it to feel whether it's a dense or sparse material/ like pottery. The fact that the head of your figurine has an open mouth and slit eyes that (at least appear in the pics.to be) are hollow behind would suggest pottery rather than stone, but it's always helpful to know for sure from whoever's holding the artifact.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mark and others,

Thanks again!

Jeff

i'm sure it's ceramic.

Mark, we posted at same time. I'm sure for same reasons, those slits for eyes. It's ceramic.....

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact Joshua Ream. I'm pretty sure he still checks in here every now and then. Also try Neanderthal on here. Matt is one of the best in the country at this stuff.

To me it looks newer than Hopewell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread