South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve been watching a number of YouTube videos where people are plucking their target, then regularly sticking their pinpointer in to check for more signals. I don’t see them showing a second good target find very often.

My practice is to find the target that matches the signal that lead me to dig, fill the hole/replace the plug, then swing over it again with the coil. On rare occasions (1 in 100) I will get another signal that will lead me to open the hole up again.

My hunts are all about being as efficient as possible with my limited time. Also my sites are usually near cellar holes where every hole has at least a couple pieces of iron. I’m thinking it would be a waste of time to rescan the hole after target extraction since I know there will be iron signals in there for me to waste my time on. I also realize that some good targets may be 2-3 inches below the hole bottom, out of reach of my coil but within reach of the pinpointer.

What are best practices for “rechecking your holes”?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always recheck you holes, silver signal you just pulled a mercury out recheck hole...ohhh silver #2..recheck hole ohhh silver #3..... Im guessing you get the point...

Recheck with the metal detector not the pin pointer....

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually do both if I have to dig a plug. If I pop a clad coin with the screw driver or shovel tip then I will stand back up and re-scan but if I dig a plug 4-6" then I probably already have my pin-pointer out and turned on. I will find the target and check the plug with the pinpointer and then check it again after I put the plug back down with my detector. (I have found coins both ways with the pin pointer and a few inches deeper with the detector and had to re-dig the plug again. )

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My method is, while still kneeling with the plug out after extracting the intended target, I grab the shaft of my detector and recheck the hole with my detector.
This works two fold:
1) I will know if another good target hits, and
2) I don't waste time digging for trash and iron that the pin-pointer will keep you digging for.
And better to do it before the plug goes back in or your basically digging twice anyway.

Just my method, but ALWAYS re-scan. I find a LOT of 2 or more coin spills.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a firm believer of keeping it simple(and less crap to haul around)....IF, your metal detector found (what ever it is INCHES DOWN) . Just use your M.D. to locate it ,once its dug up.
With the Exception of .... 'SMALL' minus gram gold

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Why would you re-scan when you fill the hole back in?? Makes no sense after you’ve filled the hole back up. Re-scan b4 you fill in or check your tailing pile b4 filling in. If there is another target, now you re dig the same hole?? Huh?

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why would you re-scan when you fill the hole back in?? Makes no sense after you’ve filled the hole back up. Re-scan b4 you fill in or check your tailing pile b4 filling in. If there is another target, now you re dig the same hole?? Huh?

You are correct. I should start re-swinging my holes before I fill the plug. The main point of this post is to see if people are regularly sweeping their hole with their pinpointer after they have extracted the target.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How long does it take to sweep your machine over an open hole? twenty seconds, thirty maybe? A lot more wasted energy filling hole, re-sweeping, and digging again. I have been detecting for almost fifty years and learned early on, ALWAYS go over the hole and any plug and/or dirt you may have removed.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
How long does it take to sweep your machine over an open hole? twenty seconds, thirty maybe? A lot more wasted energy filling hole, re-sweeping, and digging again. I have been detecting for almost fifty years and learned early on, ALWAYS go over the hole and any plug and/or dirt you may have removed.

Exactly. Good luck

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a firm believer of keeping it simple(and less crap to haul around)....IF, your metal detector found (what ever it is INCHES DOWN) . Just use your M.D. to locate it ,once its dug up.
With the Exception of .... 'SMALL' minus gram gold

What pin pointer are you using to pick up sub-gram gold? I can't imagine using anything other than a highly sensitive detector coil designed for small gold?

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use the pin pointer to recheck the hole, but if its a area full of iron you will be chasing junk, that's why i suggest using the metal detector....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread