Research & Charming a land owner pays off Ended silver slump & joined the 1700s club

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research & Charming a land owner pays off Ended silver slump & joined the 1700's club

Joined the 1700's club today and ended a LONG silver slump at the same time! I was hunting a very large field looking for a church or meeting house site that should have been close to two very old cemeteries on the land I'd recently been granted permission to hunt. About 800 or so acres here and most of it farmed. I spent the last few weeks cleaning up brush and saplings around what was a freed black school close by from soon after the Civil War. I did that mainly to get access to the rest of the land but I also found some old wheaties (1911 thru 1927, one 1914 had me temporarily very excited but it turned out there was no coveted D mint mark!), 3 very nice Indian pennies (1895, 1901 & 1903), and some costume jewerly in the process. Also found one discharged 69 cal 3 ring miniball along the wagon road trace but no camp site as of yet. (Pictured with the 3 ringer is a piece of epaulet and a tag from Economy Laboratories Co of Kansas City, Mo, both found at other sites). Today I went scouting for the old church and about 35 yards West of the graveyard, out in the middle of a hugenorous bean field, I hit a lonely signal which ended up being a small and very thin silver coin. I knew it was bound to be old and was thinking 3 cent piece....and hoping reale but there's just not much opportunity for finding coins that old around here in Southeast Missouri....low and behold that's what it is though, a very worn late 1700's Carolus III 1/2 reale (if anyone can give me any more accuracy on date from the pictures, that would be awesome). Later on I did, I believe, find the old church site on the next hill East of the graveyard. A couple of Colonial era buttons, some discharged pistol balls (have read somewhere that it was common for the gents to discharge/unload their weapons before entering a church), and then the last signal of the day.....just as ominous clouds of rain were moving in and thundering over head...was another coin. This one just a bit larger and heavier. I quickly stuck it in my little pill bottle, filled my hole and treked the nearly 1 mile back to my van. I denied all my yearnings to break the speed limit on the way home and when I finally arrived and cleaned my coins, I discovered a very worn reale and also a 1940 Seated Liberty dime. The dime may very well be another counterfiet but I'm not positive. It has a strage look and feel to it but it does have the silver shine, just under a bit of gray film which could be from the soil and/or results of a burned down building? Will have to test it to be sure. The soil hasn't been kind to the buttons but still nice to find another virgin colonial era site! Can't wait to get back there but it may not be until late next spring. The winter wheat is just starting to come up. HH to all!

Attachments

• 1119finds3.jpg
    1119finds3.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 1119finds5.jpg
    1119finds5.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 1126finds.jpg
    1126finds.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 1126finds1.jpg
    1126finds1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 1126finds3.jpg
    1126finds3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 1126finds6.jpg
    1126finds6.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 1126finds7.jpg
    1126finds7.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 1126finds12.jpg
    1126finds12.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 1126finds10.jpg
    1126finds10.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 1126finds13.jpg
    1126finds13.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 1119finds.jpg
    1119finds.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 6

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, now that was the way to do it very nice hunt.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like you are just scratching the surface of that place. Very nice finds today. No telling what all else is out there. I like the way you got permission to. Good luck in all your hunts!
HH
TnMtns

Tim(Mo)

Jul 20, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some nice coins !

Looks like your on to something.

Missouri_John

Nov 27, 2006
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
At least someone in "Swampeast Missouri" is finding stuff lately, because it sure isnt me. That's a very nice variety of coins and lead

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know exactly what you mean. Because, I had the gumption to ask for permission for small yard, I now have permission to hunt a very large and very old mansion property. One never knows what's possible until they try.

Your wonderful finds are proof of that, way to go!

HH!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer finds.....any of those coins would make a great day. The LC's and more silver are waiting there for ya. Great finds and best of luck on more great stuff. :icon_thumleft:

kam50

Mar 7, 2009
Canton,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 Garrett Pro pointer
Minelab X-Terra 305 Garrett pro pointer(Fake one got ripped off!)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. Glad your finding stuff. All I'm finding so far is clad, but it pays for batteries. HH

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats to you for entering into the colonial realm. You're now officially hooked.

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! I want to join the 1700's club. Been hitting the 1800's lately but I will take it!

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Nice silver, congrats

You may want to slip in the winter wheat during a conversation with the farmer. There are a few sites here where they don't treat it as a cash crop but use it for feeding horses. These farmers don't mind that I dig around in it. I always bring it up like " and I'll be sure to stay off the fields while your winter wheat is growing" which has lead to "oh I don't care, get it there whenever you want"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions