Research Help

Mee

Oct 31, 2005
[ftp][/ftp] Does anyone know where I might be ale to research shipwrecks in a specific area and time frame? I'm trying to research a wreck in the St. Augustine area of FL. that is pre 1860. I have tried doing a web search but haven't had much luck. I don't know much about it other than it was shown to be beached on an old marine survey map from that era. It wasn't on any of the maps that I have found doing a simple search (google,yahoo ect.) but I wasn't able to find the Isis or Florida wrecks on any either. Both are well known and in the same area I'm trying to research. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Cablava

May 24, 2005
Try the local papers, the museum, the lighthouse records. church records etc

"Beginning in 1586, there was always some sort of beacon or watch tower erected to watch over the treacherous waters along the "crazy banks" and shifting sandbars along the St. Augustine inlet, off the Atlantic Ocean.

Prior to the building of a coquina stone lighthouse in 1824 on the site of the current lighthouse, there were 272 documented shipwrecks along the St. Augustine coast. The current lighthouse was built from 1871-1874. "

http://www.staugustinelighthouse.com/exh_collect.php?s_collection=2

There are many places to search, the web is great but yon need to be patient and play with words and come from different angles.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mee,
just so you know The area from St. Augustine to Matanzas Inlet is a reserve area that was set aside by the state for research purposes as is the area from St. Marks to Cape San Blas. No contracts are issued for those areas this info came from jenifer Mckinnon from the state of fl arch dept.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions