🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research, Legwork, and Detectin'...

Hello all!

Today was one of those legwork days. I had done a bunch of research. Now after all the work I teamed up with my buddy Rodes to go and find property owners and ask permission to hunt. (In rural areas, this task is much harder than it seems!!!) First I headed off to a place that appeared on an old map as a small community--including a post office. I was aware that there was little there now, but when I arrived on the site I was astonished! Population = 0. Number of structures remaining = 2; a small shack and a barn amid a great expanse of fields:

field.jpg
barn.jpg

Here's my Camry with the detectors and gear parked in the middle of nowhere...

camry.jpg

I even had to cross two creeks in the car. The second one was deeper. Go Camry, Go!

creek.jpg

Got permission to hunt the shack. Also got permission to hunt the fields. I think I have accurately pinpointed the location of at least one other house site, a school, and the post office judging from the geographic features of the area. Wrote down the GPS coordinates of these after much sleuthing and walking around there. Although we didn't have much luck around the shack, I will certainly return to hunt the other sites on the property.

house1.jpg

Picked up some nice fossils from the fields, as well as an Indian artifact or two:

Ended up the day with a quest to locate some one-room schoolhouse sites. Found one, but the property owner wasn't in. The second one along our way I strongly felt was on the same lot as a modern church, judging from the old maps. The first look at the site was discouraging--dirt had been pushed around everywhere to build the church. Plus, newer graves from the cemetery now existed on all of one side of the site AND the parking lot was PAVED!! We decided to try a smaller area right by the church where it looked like the soil had not been disturbed. We attacked any and every undisturbed patch we could get at, and we started digging wheats immediately--always a good sign.

rings1.jpg

My buddy Rodes got a set of 3 silver rings still held together by an aluminum strip. I wonder if this was lost before a wedding ceremony?! Any ideas? They are sterling, not white gold.

rings2.jpg
button.jpg

We also found several small metal buttons--typical finds for an old schoolhouse:

quarter.jpg

Then I dug up a personal first--a whole pocketwatch! (I've only found fobs, chains, front or back plates, or pieces of them before). I also nabbed a silver Washington Quarter:

n.a.relic.jpg

Every once in a while, I have to step back and marvel at the interesting places this hobby can take us and the interesting people we meet along the way. Such a valuable day in terms of practicality...there gets to be a point where you've done all the research you can do beforehand, and you just have to get your feet on the site to learn more. Great scenery. Excellent company. And the best part is that we got a few keepers too.

Regards,

Buckleboy
Lifetime Member of the K.D.M.

Attachments

• yard.jpg
    yard.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,297
Upvote 0

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Research, Legwork, and Detectin'...

Wow! Beautiful area and great finds!

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

WTG...I am sorry to see that a detectorist had beat you to the old church site. However, can you blame him/her ;D

Eddy1H

Dec 17, 2006
Rockwall Texas
Detector(s) used
Cz20, Cz6a, 1212X, Minelab, Muskateer Advantage Whites, XLT, Surf PI, Garrett TR

Great research and great finds, for the both of you.
Way to go

Gool luck detecting

Eddy

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome post and nice finds! HH, Mike

Rockfshr

May 22, 2005
Hampton Roads VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No pics of the pocket watch? :o

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

It's nice when the research does pay off even a little bit. Congrats on a good hunt and great pics. Best of luck on the return trip. HH!

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Great pictures and looks like a great day out BuckleBoy!

Nice to know the research is done, see the history, and get permission I bet... keep us updated!

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ain't it great when a plan comes together? Good work and nice finds!

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70

Great pics, and a few great looking sites! Good luck on future hunts!
Sean

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII

That research payed off.

What's up with the quarter? The date looks odd in the photo. It almost looks like a star.
date.jpg
I'd love to see what that coin looks like without the dirt on it.

Congratulations on the rings too!

Ridley

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rockfishr: We forgot to take pics of the pocket watch. I still have it, and I am debating leaving it uncleaned because it looks so cool! I'll try to get around to taking a photo of it and updating this post soon.

Ridley: The quarter cleaned up fine, and it is a normal 1944, but there is a good bit of wear. What you are looking at is the date actually worn down into the rim of the coin.

-Buckleboy

Gold Dog

Mar 4, 2007
Southern Md.
Detector(s) used
Tesoros - Stingray 2 / Whites Eagle 2 SL90 / Whites Clacic 3 / Whites 2db

WTG. Great photos and a place to hunt that has some of just about everything.

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The bug has struck, I am going to have to go out and hunt some place, those pictures are just wetting my Treasure Hunting appetite.
The weather should be starting to warm here soon in the Chicago area.
Looking forward to doin some swingin.
The more places you go to hunt to the more you are going to find.
Keep at it.

WaSaBi

T

TreasureTales

Buckleboy thanks for the great pix and the story. Your research and willingness to get permission to hunt really illustrate the correct way to go about treasure hunting. My hat is off to you. WTG.

Pix of the watch would be appreciated. You don't need a 4x4 because your camry seems to be doing the job. LOL
But doggone it, you need to show the fossils, too.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

At least if I ever get the car stuck in a creek I know I'll be dressed appropriately to get it out. :D I'll see if I can steal a minute somewhere next week to grab a pic of the pocketwatch and fossils. That's the ONLY way to hunt, TreasureTales, although it can take a while to find the property owner in places like that. The good thing is that everyone around in the area will know who to ask. Many times I've gotten much more info than I bargained for when talking to the locals. I get told about someone's financial or romantic status, how many children they have...uuuughh! Occasionally someone clues me in on another site in the process of telling stories though. I always take a pad and paper with me when I go to knock on a door. You never know what you're going to hear. Sometimes I've even had to call property owners because they live a good distance away. (I hate this, and would rather meet and talk to them in person, but sometimes this is my last resort.)

Regards,

Buckleboy

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those pictures are GREAT! 8) Congrats on those finds too!!!

Nana :)

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5

Great pics, finds and you have done excellent on researching that site.
I think you will finds lots more there.

Good luck!!! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread