Research: on Is Brinks culling Silver

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Check out some of these links and find the service center nearest you ans see if you think that they are culling silver based on there web site / Buisness plan.

Federal Reserve link

http://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs.htm

Armored Carrier links

http://www.dunbararmored.com/html/air/default.asp?file=locations

http://www.brinksinc.com/

"Supersorters: Brink's proprietary coin sorting and counting equipment with one of the highest throughput speed in the industry."

http://www.loomisfargo.com/locations_1.htm

http://www.totalarmoredcar.com/about.htm

Mojo

Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
coinmojo said:
Check out some of these links and find the service center nearest you ans see if you think that they are culling silver based on there web site / Buisness plan.

Federal Reserve link

http://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs.htm

Armored Carrier links

http://www.dunbararmored.com/html/air/default.asp?file=locations

http://www.brinksinc.com/

"Supersorters: Brink's proprietary coin sorting and counting equipment with one of the highest throughput speed in the industry."

http://www.loomisfargo.com/locations_1.htm

http://www.totalarmoredcar.com/about.htm

Mojo

Mojo,

I have to agree with you on this topic. Anyone who has been CRHing for a while knows this is not going on due to what they find in their boxes. Perhaps some people who are new to this and are not finding much want to find a reason why they are not finding much, hence the silver harvesting by the coin courier theory. Some people seem to think because it may be possible to cull due to technology, that means it is going on.

Maybe some local small outfits are doing it, but not Brinks, Dunbar or Garda, at least in my area. I have found boxes with silver from all three. And from time to time decent amounts.

I think the drop in finds in my area lately, and probably in other areas, are just more CRHers searching. Every bank I get halves from now has 2 or 3 others getting boxes as well. More people searching are going to result in less finds for each over time and more rejects coming in thus less good boxes.

Find a virgin area and get some Brinks or CWI boxes and you will find some dream boxes I bet.

Jim

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
maybe they don't do it everywhere, but i think something is up in my area. i did have 1 good box from brinks this month but every other one in the past has not given up much silver......compared with the others i get from loomis and gardia

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009
I had an interesting conversation with a very friendly teller today as I picked up a new half box.

She mentioned the Brinks driver told her "If the customer is looking for silver, tell him not to bother" - in essence.

He explained to her - as has been asserted here, that the coin counters kick out silver (no idea how much) at their central facility in the region. This got me really disappointed but then I opened the box and the end of 1 roll was a Ben :)

So it would appear that when silver kicks out, they will hold onto it- for sale or investment.

However it still seems that this isn't taking ALL the silver, just some.

Scott

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
scotty1418 said:
I had an interesting conversation with a very friendly teller today as I picked up a new half box.

She mentioned the Brinks driver told her "If the customer is looking for silver, tell him not to bother" - in essence.

He explained to her - as has been asserted here, that the coin counters kick out silver (no idea how much) at their central facility in the region. This got me really disappointed but then I opened the box and the end of 1 roll was a Ben :)

So it would appear that when silver kicks out, they will hold onto it- for sale or investment.

However it still seems that this isn't taking ALL the silver, just some.

Scott

Sounds like the driver is trying to save some work by discouraging CRHing?

Jim

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009
On a really good sidenote: I was discussing this with the teller and the woman in line next to me said "Really, silver coins are harder to find? My mother saved a whole jar full of old half dollars, silver dollars, etc". Needless to say, I gave her my card ;)

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone better tell that Brinks driver that there culling machine missed 6 Franklins in my last box !!.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
TxTim would probably disagree that the are culling silver. Look at some of the boxes he has had in the past. Coin mojo you as well.

Golden Silver

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my theory on why silver is getting harder to find. Now I know this could be considered very extreme but it is my opinion.

The last silver coins were produced approximately 40 years ago. The U.S. Government routinely removes currency from circulation because it is "worn out." (taking millions of coins out each year, some of these most definately are silver) People have been hoarding them for years, taking another several million of them out of circulation. Add to that a little hobby you may have heard of.. CRH. That takes another large amount of coins out of circulation every year.

Hello folks!! this isn't like trying to figure out quantum physics. there are less and less coins to be found in the wild! Work hard and quit yer bitchin! Be thankful for the free $$$$.

I will now step down off my soapbox hoping I have not offended anybody.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Piercesdad said:
Here is my theory on why silver is getting harder to find. Now I know this could be considered very extreme but it is my opinion.

The last silver coins were produced approximately 40 years ago. The U.S. Government routinely removes currency from circulation because it is "worn out." (taking millions of coins out each year, some of these most definately are silver) People have been hoarding them for years, taking another several million of them out of circulation. Add to that a little hobby you may have heard of.. CRH. That takes another large amount of coins out of circulation every year.

Hello folks!! this isn't like trying to figure out quantum physics. there are less and less coins to be found in the wild! Work hard and quit yer bitchin! Be thankful for the free $$$$.

I will now step down off my soapbox hoping I have not offended anybody.

You are right about the coins being removed thus less to be found. As more CRHers remove the coins, there will be less. It will require more "Grandpa" collections to find their way into the system for us to keep getting dream boxes from time to time.

You are correct about them removing old money from circulation, but generally that is only paper money. That is why it is so common when you get half or dime rolls to see so many bent and damaged coins and they keep coming back.

And if you have bent or mutilated coins and your bank won't redeem them, your only option is to try to spend them or send them to the US mint, but they will only give you scrap value. Not the same with paper money.
Check out the link and go to the bottom. http://www.ustreas.gov/education/faq/coins/sales.shtml

Jim

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Another possible theory. Explaining silver drying up or Disappearing.

Yesterday I scored a bag at a bank that contained over120 keepers.
( I couldn't wait for them to make the cycle)

But before I discovered this bank / bag The coins were destined for Brinks or CRH #1 Either way these coins are now in my possion and will never see a Brinks Hopper.

I sort of intercepted them. Cut them off at the pass. Nip it in the Bud..........

Before they make it to Brinks there are always several obstacles.

CRH #1

CRH #2

Tellers.

Other Tellers.

But it is clear that the coin counting machine at this particular bank "DOES NOT REJECT SILVER!" .And as far as I can tell Neither does Brinks.

Mojo

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
coinmojo said:
Another possible theory. Explaining silver drying up or Disappearing.

Yesterday I scored a bag at a bank that contained over120 keepers.
( I couldn't wait for them to make the cycle)

But before I discovered this bank / bag The coins were destined for Brinks or CRH #1 Either way these coins are now in my possion and will never see a Brinks Hopper.

I sort of intercepted them. Cut them off at the pass. Nip it in the Bud..........

Before they make it to Brinks there are always several obstacles.

CRH #1

CRH #2

Tellers.

Other Tellers.

But it is clear that the coin counting machine at this particular bank "DOES NOT REJECT SILVER!" .And as far as I can tell Neither does Brinks.

Mojo

That is why I prefer either Brinks boxes or bags from machines to hand rolls-- generally the teller is out of the equation and the coins go straight from the dumpee to the CRHer one way or another. I have seen tellers change the bags at all my dump banks and never once did any of them go thru them looking for coins. But at my banks where there is no machine and the tellers have to verify coin rolls, there is always one or two that know the value of silver and say they take all they find.

As far as the idea about Brinks having machines that sort silver, I think most know that is pure BS. Anyone who regularly finds silver in a box of halves knows this. The "a few got by theory" falls flat. Machines designed to serve a purpose (sort silver) would not miss that many all the time.

Jim

PGHdfxr

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2008
I saw a show on the history channel modern marvels or something called coin operated and coinstar was one of the parts. and unmarked armored trucks (brinks) picks up 500 pound tub of coins, sorts, rolls some , bags some,and ships them out fast. they showed the operation and did'nt mention silver. Maybe their starting to catch on, or because of rooms like these..... I'm sure we all will know pretty quick if they start!

sfwusc

Mar 20, 2008
Ju8vP3t said:
Does anyone know if the coin counters in bank lobbies separate out silver? Ever run silver through one?

well, some say they find silver in the reject tray, but people find silver in the bags too.... so I would say it they usually take them.

-SWUSC

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Ju8vP3t said:
Does anyone know if the coin counters in bank lobbies separate out silver? Ever run silver through one?

I have bought bags of halves from different kinds of machines and have always found silver in them. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Jim

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
it sure is strange that on some weeks i find 60-100 keepers doing 4 brinks boxes a week and other weeks i find ZERO. seems to me that if a brinks box contains silver it will show up pretty fast, and if you are half way through a brinks box and you have not found anything it is most likely a skunk...

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
silvercop said:
it sure is strange that on some weeks i find 60-100 keepers doing 4 brinks boxes a week and other weeks i find ZERO. seems to me that if a brinks box contains silver it will show up pretty fast, and if you are half way through a brinks box and you have not found anything it is most likely a skunk...

Usually that is the case, however, in some of my Brinks boxes (the kind they use here are 25 rolls on top of 25 rolls, square box) I have seen where the top 25 will be great and none in the bottom 25, and vice versa.

I wonder if sometimes as they fill the boxes rolls from two different batches wind up in the same box, one batch on top and one on bottom. That is the only way I can explain when I get that.

I have also had a couple of boxes that had one or two rolls that were almost all keepers, and the rest of the box was a skunk. How could all the keepers wind up in just one or two rolls and the rest be rejects?

Kind of strange how it all works I guess.

Jim

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
wish i could figure it all out....i have tried....right when i think i have a plan it proves to not be the way i thought....i think somone here said it best "it's all just luck of the draw..."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread