RESEARCH PAYS AGAIN, WITH BLING!

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
Did some research using Google Earth and an old aerial photo as an overlay on an old school yard. Sure enough this popped out of the ground. The picture was taken right after it was found. It's 10K and the stone looks like onyx. The center may have a cheezy zircon. Also found $.50 in clad. There's gotta be some silver there too. Research pays! It was a good day!

Pete

Attachments

• RINGASFOUND.jpg
    RINGASFOUND.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 958
Upvote 0

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Good for you, Yeasty! Nice looking ring. Hope you do find some silver.

HH,
Pepper

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love that ring..it looks old fashioned... or really may be old..either way ...its a keeper for sure.

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome great find. I haven't had much luck with goggle can't seem to quite figure it out to my advantage, then again maybe I am just stupid.....

Juanmoretime

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2008
Shreveport, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Miinelab CTX-3030, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Explorer II, Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research pays !!!! Nice find, makes it more fun when you plan based on research and you actually find stuff!!! Good job! ;D

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did some research using Google Earth and an old aerial photo as an overlay on an old school yard.

Details! Give us details!

Is the site something different now and you laid the image of the old schoolyard over it as it appears now from the air?

Were there even older homes that were removed to make the old school?

Did you look for something shiny in the old photo?

I recently came across a photo of an 1931 airshow with mobs of people and I have it narrowed down to two plowed fields just outside of a nearby tiny-town. Problem is the owner is non-resident and the lesee farmer won't give me permission or the owner's contact info; he keeps saying he'll contact the owner but hasn't yet and won't let me detect until he does. Been more than 1 year now. I'm working on it; and he's probably stalling while he detects the spot. ;)

OP
OP
Yeasty

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
Charlie,
In Delaware we are blessed by having web access to zoomable aerial photos of the entire state for the years '02, '97, '92, '68, '61, '54, and '37. One of the advantages of being a small state! Thats 81 years of seeing the landscape of the whole state evolve photographically from a bird's eye view. Of course some years have better resolution than others. It's interesting to see how old home sites, schools, paths, shore lines, parks etc come and go or change over the years. If I see an interesting feature I download a copy of the picture and overlay it on Google Earth and find where the feature is in relation to today's conditions. I then use the Lat/Long coordinates from Google Earth and program them into my GPS as waypoints which will guide me to the exact spot of interest. Then I start swinging.
Pete

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TreasureTales said:
Charlie, can't you get the owner's name and contact info from the county courthouse or the tax collector or county clerk's office? Then you can bypass the tenant and go right to the owner.

I know his name and that he lives in Florida (FL - from a neighbor, and googling his name came up zip). Probably if I went to the clerk's office in person I could get the info, but they won't give it beyond name & lot # over the phone. I'm sure they're just looking at the tax map and not the payment records.

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work, great find...always love gold...still havn't found first ring... 8)
However, I have started using google earth to look for tot lots or other good areas near the next customers house I have to go to. Started doing this after my first 15 minute hunt.
Keep it up... :thumbsup:

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks treasuretales for getting off the subject, very good advice...Today the baseball fields....soon the lakes and pools...Soon my first ring... 8)

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Nice little gold ring... diffrent. :thumbsup:
Platinum would be a little better than silver. :whip2:

OP
OP
Yeasty

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
TreasureTales knows. "Research is the key to finding the old stuff."
I have almost as much fun researching the possibilities of old sites. Heh, the keyword is "almost". To me, ferreting out information and then using it to actually finding good stuff enhances the satisfaction of this hobby. Plus, **GASP!!!** I actually learn something once in a while! Whooda thunk it?
Pete

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread