Research

BeaverWarrior82

Jul 29, 2015
Brandon,MS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many of you have done lots of research in our great state?

Ive been comparing confederate maps to modern maps trying to locate routes,camps,and battlegrounds.
I checked out a couple of old books that contain confederate diaries of the war.
Would like to get together and collaborate to see if we can find some good targets for MD.
Ive been leaning torward any old sites near any creek,river,etc.
Lots near port gibson,vickburg,raymond, jackson,natchez, etc, Many many targets to choose from.
Just hope they arent all protected to where we cant MD.

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BW, I will send you a few links tonight. Been looking at a few spots with the overlaid maps too. A lot more small skirmishes throughout the state that aren't marked so shouldn't have to worry about much but permission from property owner, oh and finding them.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been doing some research. I've been trying to pick up county history books, but they are hard to come by. I only have Rankin county so far, but am on the trail for one on Madison county. I also have "Vicksburg: The Campaign That Opened The Mississippi" by Michael B Ballard. It is really good for following Grant's march.

OP
OP
B

BeaverWarrior82

Jul 29, 2015
Brandon,MS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing some research. I've been trying to pick up county history books, but they are hard to come by. I only have Rankin county so far, but am on the trail for one on Madison county. I also have "Vicksburg: The Campaign That Opened The Mississippi" by Michael B Ballard. It is really good for following Grant's march.

I am from Rankin county as well Cryer.. Im off 80 inbetween brandon and pelehatchie

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I am from Rankin county as well Cryer.. Im off 80 inbetween brandon and pelehatchie

I actually live in Madison. I picked up the Rankin county history book at the Civil War show that was held in Brandon last month.

angleofattack

Aug 9, 2015
West Point, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Euro tech pro dd, xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been looking around for some historic sites and ran across this which opens a host of ideas in several areas of the state. Its long and detailed , but worthy of a read. I am new to the md hobby but have a new detector and looking to get out some as soon as the hot weather breaks.

PLYMOUTH AND ITS FORT

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is some cool info. A lot of details that should produce some good spots to hunt. I am printing it out to put in file to study some more.

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plymouth was added to the national register of historic places in 1980.
I would love to speak to a local historian though.
Thanks for submitting this angle.
Ray

angleofattack

Aug 9, 2015
West Point, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Euro tech pro dd, xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ghost town

How can they add it to the national registry if no one knows exactly were it is and what exactly does that mean. There is a map of were it is described to be you can look at the link I posted up in the title there is another link. I looked at google earth and couldn't see it. From what I read know one seems to know were the town was.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread