Researching CW era maps. What is "M.M."?

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Researching CW era maps. What is "M.M."?

I've been researching Loudoun County (northern Virginia) looking for some good spots to hunt. Prior to the Civil War, Loudoun county had lots and lots of mills that supported a robust agricultural economy making it one of the most prosperous counties in the state.

I see some mills listed as S.M. - presume Saw Mill - and G.M. - presume Grist Mill. But I found the foundation of a mill and it's marked M.M. on 2 CW maps. There are several other mill locations on the maps marked M.M. I can't think what M.M. would mean.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

DCMatt

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
Re: Researching CW era maps. What is "M.M."?

could be sorgum "molasses" not all mills milled grain "grist mills" some milled or presses to make sugar or molasses.

Les

OP
OP
DCMatt

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Researching CW era maps. What is "M.M."?

gypsyheart said:
I think it stood for Merchant Mill.....

Here is a good site for finding out what was milled where....
http://research.history.org/Digital...st=Merchandise&Last=Merchant mills, described

I think you're right. Wheat was an established cash crop in the county prior to the Civil War. As best I can tell, a merchant mill was a grist mill on a much larger and finer scale. Wheat was purchased from local farmers and ground into fine flour, then packed in barrels for shipping.

Thanks Gypsy!

DCMatt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread