Retired Land Surveyor New to Forum :::

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Just getting started and enjoying it! I am a retired land surveyor and used the Schonstedt GA-52Cx Magnetic Locator to locate property corners! It was a blast & I never forgot that!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Guys, during my years out on the job as a land surveyor in San Diego County I recalled being especially pleased when using what they call the "Pipe Finder!" Any surveyors on the forum know exactly what I mean. Modern day surveys use 3/4" or 2" Iron Pipes when setting property boundary markers. Standard issue on every survey truck was then and probably still is the Schonstedt GA-52Cx. Since we knew where we should be searching thanks to our survey, we always got a signal unless the marker was gone.. Well, I never forgot those days and now I'm interested in a new hobby. I've done a bit of research and what I know is that I don't know much. Checking out the Fisher F2 and Garret Ace 250 or 350 since that would be my price range. I'd like to learn how the display works on the different units.

Desert Don

Dec 28, 2015
On the Mojave Desert near Mojave.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, and Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. In the past: Home made detector (circa 1969), World War II mine detector, Fisher M70 M-Scope (1971), Bounty Hunter TR 550, Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Lexicon7,

I'm fairly new to the forum myself. But welcome anyway...I guess I can say that. As for a detector, I'm not familiar with the Fisher F2, or the ACE 250. But I am familiar with the Garrett ACE 350. I used one before I purchased my Garrett AT Pro. I now prefer the AT Pro. But that's not to say that there was anything wrong with the 350. Both of my sons use the 350, and have done quite well. I also have and use the Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. It a pretty decent entry level detector. It's easy to understand and use. Both of my cousins use the Pioneer 505 as their primary detector.

I hope you find just the right detector for you, and enjoy the hobby as much as I have for the last 47 years.

Desert Don

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad your here.

I always wondered how Surveyors / Land owners Located those Old hidden Steel Spikes.

I come across them every now & then.

I don't own one but an ace 250-350 or Similar machine from another company will serve you well.
I started with a est, $350 Whites Classic 3 back in 1998.

IMO Get a Machine in that price range Then if you want to upgrade you will have 2 machines.

I always envy those Surveyors as they get the first look at New to be Developed Sites (Many were off limits ,before they came up for sale.

Also ill bet you can work your way through 'Some Bad Arse Bush '. LOL
GL
Davers

OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Just getting started and enjoying it! I am a retired land surveyor and used the Schonstedt GA-52Cx Magnetic Locator to locate property corners! It was a blast & I never forgot that!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Desert Don and thanks for the response. Right now I'm on an extended visit with my family in the Bend Oregon area but I've been a full time RVer and planning to return to that lifestyle at the latter part of next summer. Odd that I never put the two together but RVing and Detectoring really go together well. My plan is to go to the Quartzsite Az RV show and exhibition next winter. I'm studied in solar and BLM free camping and there is a lot of that in the Southwest Desert. Since you are known as Desert Don, wondering if you are near there...?

Desert Don

Dec 28, 2015
On the Mojave Desert near Mojave.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, and Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. In the past: Home made detector (circa 1969), World War II mine detector, Fisher M70 M-Scope (1971), Bounty Hunter TR 550, Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Desert Don and thanks for the response. Right now I'm on an extended visit with my family in the Bend Oregon area but I've been a full time RVer and planning to return to that lifestyle at the latter part of next summer. Odd that I never put the two together but RVing and Detectoring really go together well. My plan is to go to the Quartzsite Az RV show and exhibition next winter. I'm studied in solar and BLM free camping and there is a lot of that in the Southwest Desert. Since you are known as Desert Don, wondering if you are near there...?

Nope...not near Quartzsite. But I am on the desert. The Mojave Desert in southern California near Mojave. I've been in Bend Oregon twice. Once back in 1959 with my Grandmother, and the other time I was ferrying an airplane from Fresno to Pasco. I stopped there to refuel. All I can remember about the 1959 trip was a visit to Peterson's Rock Garden. Is that still there?

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Davers, thanks for the response. As for surveying, I did my full apprenticeship during the 80's and you are correct..
when a point to be staked falls in the brush, they sent me out there and normally I would crawl under it and then stick the rod (with the prism on it)up through the canopy to take a quick shot. Then the instrument man would guide me until I got the point in the ground... in my younger days it was fun but later I got to send my apprentice out there into the tick infested poison sumac poison oak etc ect... So yeah if your finding spikes that look like huge nails those are "set" point for lay-out purposes and we would only use the "pipe finder" for property markers when doing boundary work... It was always a blast doing that though so wondering why it took me so long to find this great hobby... I wonder if there are any treasures in the endless forests here in Deschutes County Oregon? Right now it's 3 feet of snow but I'm doing my research and will most likely start with the Garret Ace 350. Leaning that way anyhow but there is lots of time yet to ponder it all... Can't wait!!!

OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Engine, I think I'll be on this forum for a very long time so perhaps we'll talk again soon...

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the party. I would think in your many years of work you would have some contacts for some good private hunts. Good Luck and Happy Hunting

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Oregon for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Davers, thanks for the response. As for surveying, I did my full apprenticeship during the 80's and you are correct..
when a point to be staked falls in the brush, they sent me out there and normally I would crawl under it and then stick the rod (with the prism on it)up through the canopy to take a quick shot. Then the instrument man would guide me until I got the point in the ground... in my younger days it was fun but later I got to send my apprentice out there into the tick infested poison sumac poison oak etc ect... So yeah if your finding spikes that look like huge nails those are "set" point for lay-out purposes and we would only use the "pipe finder" for property markers when doing boundary work... It was always a blast doing that though so wondering why it took me so long to find this great hobby... I wonder if there are any treasures in the endless forests here in Deschutes County Oregon? Right now it's 3 feet of snow but I'm doing my research and will most likely start with the Garret Ace 350. Leaning that way anyhow but there is lots of time yet to ponder it all... Can't wait!!!

Enjoy your Snow Time & Look forward to seeing & hearing about your finds Next Spring & Summer.

OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know about that but the altitude, the bad roads, sub zero temps and the endless trees are still here and after 50+ years in San Diego, I miss the southwest and can't wait to get back to "normal" temperatures... Way too cold for me here! I'll probably be coming your way in a few months heading towards Havasu, Parker Strip, Quartzsite and the river. Like to do some wake boarding and poke around in the desert say with a... metal detector!

OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks dig :::

OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks vp, looks like quite a lot going on around here.. checked all of those links.
I would imagine along the Deschutes River especially in some of the more remote areas
should have some un-found treasures! There is lots of free camping in those areas
and this summer I plan to hang out in my RV and dig around :::

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome!
My detecting buddy, before he got into detecting, used to work for a real estate outfit, and had to find property corners with a metal detector.
So, I can see how your interest in the hobby began!
Your profession should help lead you to some potentially great properties to hunt...!

OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your post.. yes you are correct.. I found it odd however that the joy I felt each time I used the pipe finder never manifested in these later times until now.. I already have a lot going on so not like I need a new hobby but I am so excited to get started and this is such a great and friendly forum..

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! If you have the resources purchase the AT Pro. You can set it up like the ACE series if you want, but IMHO starting with the pro-mode is the way to go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread