Retractable key chain?

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinking about attaching a heavy duty retractable key chain to my pinpointer and hang it from belt or beltloop, when finished just let it retract. Usually carry mine in my cargo pocket, gets hung up when I go to one knee, and carry my diggin tool left hand. What do you all think?

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds good,i used a wallet chain b4 i got my sunray :thumbsup:

DirtyDon

May 5, 2005
rome.NY
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did this mod and it worked well with a few exceptions. It swings when you walk and it wears a hole in pants where it hits up against your leg I couldn't find a way to stop these things from happening. Other than that, it worked well and was handy......Get Dirty....Dirty Don....

OP
OP
jharhed

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I ditched the key chain idea. I bought a tape measure holder instead. Looks as if it was made for it.

Attachments

• 12-15-08_1543.jpg
    12-15-08_1543.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,207

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark (Under water unit)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the key chain idea, and I am going to purchase one for my pinpointer....for the guy who says it wears holes in their pants? Well, ever heard of velcro? Place a strip of velcro on your pants, and a piece on the back of the pinpointer....problem solved? SushiDog

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you detect sandy soil, or in areas where there is fine dusty soil, you'll need to clean it lots! Half way through a hunt you'll end up with your pinpointer hangingdown banging your kneees (carried one for years with 25 or 30 keys). A better idea as shown above is a tool holster, you're not limited by the length of the chain etc. Check out some of the big box home improvement stores. You can pick up a belt holster for almost anything or tool know to man. Find one that fits nicely and you're off and running. I have a couple that were originally made for small binoculars and one for a GPS. The other thing nice is they have a snap on the belt loop that makes it a breeze to get em on or off your belt. Lowes has one that I've been eyeballing for awhile. Will hold a pinpointer and a digger plus a probe. Looks like all it would is a hole poked in one of the small pockets for a probe.

DirtyDon

May 5, 2005
rome.NY
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried this about 4 years ago and it worked quite well but in the process the swinging chain put holes into three pair of dungerees by swinging over the front pocket.

Notsuredomus

Aug 12, 2012
Classic Hill Mine, Siskiyou County
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Whites GMT
Garret ProPointer
Bazooka Gold Trap Super Prospector
Fossicker Production Pan
Proline 3in Dredge/Highbanker Combo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use one of those for my N52 Gauss Rare Earth Magnet. Attach it to my waist belt and when I get a hit I run that sucker through the area a couple times and it really save times on those tiny iron pieces that are so abundant. Then when I am done just drop it and zip right back in place. I lost two 40.00 magnets before I made this purchase.

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer this over a chain. It stretches to about 40 inches.

DSCF4073.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread