Retrieving Targets

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is hard to find a forum, video, blog, et nauseum on metal detecting at the beach that does not include the Mantra “ close /fill open holes found, as leaving holes anywhere makes us look bad in some people’s eyes. Most detectorists do I do this out of courtesy and common sense. What is missing is information on how to efficiently and effectively do this task.

Starting with the DRY SAND ZONE
While digging and filling holes is easiest to do in this zone in the day, it is challenging at night. Not only does night vision drop off as one ages, it is difficult to see the hole as you are blinded by light reflected back into your eyes, especially if you are using white LEDs (most do) as a head light. Is there an optimum distance to dump scoopful of dug sand away from the hole as well as separate the piles of dirt?
As a precaution. I collapse the sided of a dug hole before filling and compressing the sand so that there is no hard edge to trip over.
WET SAND ZONE;
What is the best way of retrieving targets in the wet sand?
I use a series of small scoops to isolate the target, as wet sand is heavy to lift. Again what is the best way of doing this?
Once, I hit the water level/soupy wet sand,
I have to be very aggressive, taking rapid full scoops, before the
Target is sucked down and lost.

SHALLOW WATER Retrieving.
I prefer using a smaller size coil in this one, as pinpointing with a DD search coil is challenging me.
Even though, I am able to dig smaller holes, the problem remains on how to best fill them in calm waters such as protected lagoons and bays.
Is it even possible to fill holes in the water when the currents are strong or there are waves?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread