Retrun to marble dump tonight. 70 more, silver ring, glass bangle, porcelain cat? Figure marked Japan.

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally went back tonight. Running total is 129 marbles. I finally dug out a sadly broken 5 gallon crock full of cans that blocked me from opening up pocket more. It also is how that fragile glass bangle? Probably survived 80 years on the top layer of a dump. Top layer is 1930s and 40s house hold bottles, mostly easy to date owens Illinois bottles, not worth hauling out. Hopefully I at least get a milk bottle out of here or a decorative piece.

I'm guessing ring is silver because it came out too nice to be plated brass. Plated doll spoon last time was pretty rough from same pocket. Also in mix toy candle stick?, D buckle, porcelain animal figure marked Japan and a glass paper weight. Due to the dump being surrounded by water on all sides except one I'm hesitant to really dig it past a foot down. turning it into a sinkhole seems possible.

Attachments

• 20240409_220318.jpg
    20240409_220318.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 175
Upvote 38

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally went back tonight. Running total is 129 marbles. I finally dug out a sadly broken 5 gallon crock full of cans that blocked me from opening up pocket more. It also is how that fragile glass bangle? Probably survived 80 years on the top layer of a dump. Top layer is 1930s and 40s house hold bottles, mostly easy to date owens Illinois bottles, not worth hauling out. Hopefully I at least get a milk bottle out of here or a decorative piece.

I'm guessing ring is silver because it came out too nice to be plated brass. Plated doll spoon last time was pretty rough from same pocket. Also in mix toy candle stick?, D buckle, porcelain animal figure marked Japan and a glass paper weight. Due to the dump being surrounded by water on all sides except one I'm hesitant to really dig it past a foot down. turning it into a sinkhole seems possible.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great job
I like those marbles..I’m still looking for some

OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you everyone for the comments. There was a hazel atlas Mason jar 🫙 in here pitched opening downward and it had a marble in it. Most likely that jar of marbles was dumped here and they all spilled out in this one zone. There's plastic wheels to toys in this zone, some doll house miniature items, shoes, bottles. I suspect someone's childhood toys got dumped on top layer of dump and if i work the first foot of dirt more could be hidden in it. So far bottles have been worthless. Only nice looking one was a aqua pre prohibition Brooklyn NY beer busted unfortunately.

OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a very fun place to dig, congrats!
Yes. Now is the time because by Summer mequitoes and poison ivy get bad and I won't go in here.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500

Now that's different!
Good one.

OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that's different!
Good one.
Thank you. Went back today for 90 min. Got a lot of rain end of this week so after 1 foot of digging my hole started filling with water 💧... it needs a few days to dry out. Still got 14 marbles and a full set of reins. Gem is from bike reflector. Few bottles I haven't cleaned up yet nothing rare bottle wise.

Attachments

• 20240413_122757.jpg
    20240413_122757.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240413_125317.jpg
    20240413_125317.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Thank you. Went back today for 90 min. Got a lot of rain end of this week so after 1 foot of digging my hole started filling with water 💧... it needs a few days to dry out. Still got 14 marbles and a full set of reins. Gem is from bike reflector. Few bottles I haven't cleaned up yet nothing rare bottle wise.
That's cool. I like finding the glass ball marbles they used as stoppers in old bottles on the goldfields here. Unfortunately kids back then would smash them out of the bottles to use as marbles so mostly you find those bottles with the tops smashed off of them. By coincidence they get found on their own near old bush homesites where the bottles got smashed and the marble flung out and its dug up with an unassociated target.
Love the glass tops from other bottles too.
IMG_20240414_122900_827~2.jpg

jimther

Jul 24, 2017
Eastern Taxachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites SPECTRUM XLT
Garrett PRO-POINTER
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice saves RBD... love finding marbles. Why do people throw those away ??

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice. Reminds me of when I was a kid. I would go visit my grandmother and my dad and his brothers would shoot marbles up on a mountain when they were young and the marbles would wash down the mountain into the street when it rained. I would collect them and put them in a cigar box. Really cool finds.

OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice saves RBD... love finding marbles. Why do people throw those away ??
Thank you. Lot of toy parts in here, dug a toy car, doll spoon and candle stick, headless farmer on tractor 🚜 toy so far. Few wheels to older toys. I really think someone's childhood toys got dumped here along with house hold trash. If it dries out enough before complete grow back I may go deeper. For now I'm covering the 1st foot of soil in marble area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions