PLAY CBS NEWS VIDEO

• [*=left]4 Comments
    /
    [*=left]39 Shares/
    [*=left]11 Tweets/
    [*=left]Stumble/
    [*=left]Email
    [*=left]More +

One very smelly sperm whale secretion may soon make one lucky British beachcomber a very happy man.
Ken Wilman told British broadcasters that he had been walking along Morecambe beach in northern England when his dog, Madge, discovered a hard, soccer ball-sized piece of smelly rock.
"She wouldn't leave it alone. I picked it up and it smelt horrible so I knocked it with my walking stick and a small lump came off," he told Sky News television in comments broadcast Thursday. "I put both pieces back on the beach but something in the back of my mind told me it might be something unusual."
One Google search later and Wilman realized that Madge had found something special. Ambergris, formed in the intestinal tract of sperm whales and often vomited or secreted into the ocean, is a waxy substance that can be used in perfumes to prolong their scent. Wilman said he has been offered as much as $68,000 (50,000 Pounds) for the musky material.
Callum Roberts, a professor of marine conservation at the University of York, said the find appeared legitimate.
"It's a waxy, yellow-gray piece of flotsam. I'm sure that 95 percent of people would walk past it without further thought," he said in a telephone interview. He praised Wilman's quick thinking, invoking the scientific dictum that "fortune favors the prepared mind."
This is the second such whale windfall discovered in Britain in the past six months. In August last year, a young boy stumbled upon a chunk of ambergris estimated to be worth $60,000.
Wilman, 50, had a slightly different take on his find, telling BBC television that people should trust their dogs.
"If your dog pays an interest in something, YOU pay an interest in something," he said. "Because you never know. There's gold out there on that beach - floating gold."

kmil10

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see the Reality Shows already:
"Vomit Rush"
"Dog the Vomit Hunter"
"Whale Wars" (oops that one is taken) :tongue3:

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well ya just never know.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who'da thunk it?! That's crazy.

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Ambergris (pron.: /ˈæmbərɡrs/ or pron.: /ˈæmbərɡrɪs/, Latin: Ambra grisea, Ambre gris, ambergrease or grey amber) is a solid, waxy, flammable substance of a dull grey or blackish color produced in the digestive system of sperm whales.[SUP][1][/SUP]
Freshly produced ambergris has a marine, fecal odor. However, as it ages, it acquires a sweet, earthy scent commonly likened to the fragrance of rubbing alcohol without the vaporous chemical astringency.[SUP][2][/SUP] The principal historical use of ambergris was as a fixative in perfumery, though it has now been largely displaced by synthetics.

Very rare used is all the most expensive perfumes and it is worth a butt load if you ever find any...:headbang:

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a couple guys down on there luck with the economy band together to go after there dreams, cause the real estate market went out and they are 1 million in debt, They have exactly 2 weeks to start sending home whale secretients or there investors and the bill collectors will start coming down on them.

kmil10

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nate in Ga said:
Just a couple guys down on there luck with the economy band together to go after there dreams, cause the real estate market went out and they are 1 million in debt, They have exactly 2 weeks to start sending home whale secretients or there investors and the bill collectors will start coming down on them.

I'd watch that. Regurgitation Nation

MariahGreer

Mar 21, 2013
Longwood, FL
Detector(s) used
Prospector T200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to know how they even came to use whale vomit in perfume.... that what got me like WTF more than anything.. eeewww We just never really know whats in our products... I really doubt it says whale vomit on any bottle.... lol but this was pretty interesting

Eric Wilson

Mar 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been used for many years- perhaps back to the whaling days. I have heard that it is found in Sperm whales that are diseased in some way. I'm not sure about the veracity of that however. I first heard about it when I read a little blurb in the back of a Classics comic book when I was 9 or 10 years old. It told about someone finding a lump of it on the beach and selling it for thousands of dollars. I never forgot about it. It was one of many things that fueled my interest in treasure hunting. That was around 1967 or 68.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread