VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone!
Today I went back to the house site where last week I found my 1787 Fugio Cent.
I brought my dad again and I also brought my grandfather along to show him what metal detecting was all about. We had a lot of fun.
My first good target was a clad dime.
Then I dug a modern nickle.
The next target I dug showed up as about an 80 on my ACE 400, with some good depth. I dug the plug and pulled it back. I located a target with my Propointer, but it turned out to be a piece of lead or some other cheap metal. I re-checked the hole with my detector and it said there was still something there. I located another target with my Propointer. After some digging I popped out a coin. I wiped it off and saw "2 cents"

2centpiece.jpg
This is the front. After some cleaning with water, q-tip, and later toothpick, I found the date was 1864- a first year :hello2:! Also, near the end of the "IN GOD WE TRUST" banner there is a small raised line that I think could be a possible die crack, but unfortunately you can't see it in the photo

1864 2centpieceback.jpg
This is the back. It is pretty much normal.

My dad and I also found a button each. My dad dug a beautiful late 1700s cuff-sized tombac button. I dug a brass button probably dating from 1790-1820.

button fronts.jpg
Fronts

buttonbacks.jpg
Backs. The button my dad found still has the shank, but the shank on the button that I found was gone.

I know this site has more and I will definitely be going back.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Upvote 5

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love 2 centers. yours is an awesome shade of green. The buttons are swell. Keep it up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread