Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things are not always as they seem! I made two more excursions back to the abandoned Sonic Drive In Restaurent site since last week. I took my a ACE 250 to coin shoot the first 6" or so for coins and made a haul of clad coins. Didn't really count it to the penny but it came to around $15.00. My plan was to go back with my GTI 2500 and dig all the remaining targets, especially the deep and failnt ones in hopes of finding some rings, jewelry, etc. At any rate I went back with the "big machine" and found that the ACE had nearly cleaned it out! I found a grand total of forty five cents clad. I was curious about signals I kept getting at 12", some kind of large target nearly anywhere in the green strip I wanted to plant my GTI 2500, so I dug down about 11'' and found a reinforced concrete bottom! Apparently the grassy area was just dirt fill that had been put into a "bathtub" about a foot deep with sod on top. I spent a couple of hours digging deeper targets that were reading in the gold range and invariably it turned out to be a really corroded penny. So, I think my coin cache has about played out. It was truly amazing how many coins I recovered here in such a short time but no real "treasure". For a truly fun dig, me and the ACE had a great time while it lasted. Any of you coin shooters want to have a ball, this is the type site to look for and I just remembered another Sonic that has been closed down just a few miles away from the house. Gotta' go check it out! JIM

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thats a pretty good haul jim!did you have to obtain permission to hunt this site or was it ok to just do it? i will be travelling south in a few weeks and there are several abandoned businesses along the way. maybe i should check some of them out.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal,

sounds like a good time!

HH

Lonewolfe

F

Floater

Sounds like a good time Jim. 15.00 bucks will put a little fuel in the car for the next adventure and maybe a lunch too. digging the deep targets is still worth it I would think. I don't know the identifier on your machine but if you really cleaned it then I would definitely be diggin deeper. Bring the big shovel with ya. If you get something that deep just take a few good chunks. Beats trying to dig a deep hole with the trowel.. HH

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Thats alot of clad Jim,had a good day. Why are the SONIC'S closing down? are they rebuilding some.We have had four new ones go up in my area over the last five years.HH

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This particular Sonic closed down and relocated across the highway at a busier intersection. Property is now owned by out of state investorr so the car lot next door says. It's been vacant for about 3 years and I have never seen anyone working on it and it is all grown up and neglected. Nobody to ask that I could locate and , was being used by other businesses for parking so I parked and had at it. I know where there's another one, same circumstances, same condition and I think I'll go check it out. The only problem is that it is in an area that has every day drive by shootings! May check it out very carefully! JIM

R

rusty nails

the ace 250 is an awesome metal detector - i hunted a park last weekend that is supposedly hunted out for about and hour and did well in the coin dept. - i know the places that i hunted had to have been dug before - they were too obvious ~ ! and i am a novice - the ace has a few quirks that r good quirks that once u get a feel for it - it all works out - allright

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
jimmileo said:
This particular Sonic closed down and relocated across the highway at a busier intersection.? Property is now owned by out of state investorr so the car lot next door says.? ?It's been vacant for about 3 years and I have never seen anyone working on it and it is all grown up and neglected.? ?Nobody to ask that I could locate and , was being used by other businesses for parking so I parked and had at it.? I know where there's another one, same circumstances, same condition and I think I'll go check it out.? The only problem is that it is in an area that has every day drive by shootings!? May check it out very carefully! JIM
Guess that means you'll be testing to see what the scale difference is between .380's, 9mm's, and .38's? BTW, guess you'll be taking your trenching tool as well, never know when you'll need to dig a foxhole. LOL
If worst comes to worst, send 'em back with interest.

R

rusty nails

i have a place of interest like that where i want to hunt a tore down store front from the 1900's to 80s - the guy i asked permission from - said - " go ahead - but i wouldnt go there too late at night like 6 or 7 - because somebody might take your detector "- so i am going to hit it like at 7 or 8 am -
5 or 6 some peeps r still coming home from the bars - something to think about ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread