Return to the Crossed Cannons site - LC, IHPs, Barber, Marbles & more!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a couple hours in yesterday at the farm where I found the crossed cannons insignia last week. I had a pretty good hunt with an 1848 Large Cent, 1862 fatty IHP, 1908 IHP, 1904 Barber dime, a beautiful 1916 Canadian penny, and couple very old marbles. Also got some early wheats including a 1909. Of the 22 pennies from this yard 8 were IHP, 12 wheats, 1 Canadian, and only 1 Memorial.

Here is the group shot
2-24-19 all.JPG

Reverse of some of the coins
coins.jpg

I found these two marbles which I believe are both 19th century. I can't take credit for digging the swirly one. A mole dug it up. It was just laying there in his little dirt pile. The other one was in the hole with the 1904 dime. When I saw it in the hole I thought it was a musket ball at first. But I would take a marble like this ove a musket ball any day. I will post them on the Marble forum and see what I can find out about them.
marbles 1.jpg marbles 2.jpg

And the obligatory dirt shots - LC and Barber
dirt LC.JPG dirt dime.JPG

Thanks for looking
Steve

Upvote 43

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Truth. I found out the marble you love is already married :laughing7: She was born is Germany, hand made, and is called an "Indian"

I usually like looking for older stuff, late 18th century/early 19th century, but this spot has been fun.

Thanks Why Me? Places like this are out there, you just have to knock on the right door!

Thanks Tommy. This place wasn't hard to find, but I was lucky that the farmer is so cool about me hunting on his property.

And I don’t see a divorce anytime soon lol congratulations

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
What a nice spot you have to hunt! Congratulations on all the great finds...Bet there's more there! lol

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a great site , nice keepers , hopefully still more there.

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an amazing dig and finds. I love those marbles. Reminds me of elementary school in the 50’s. We use to bring marbles to school and play a game against other students. One could actually win marbles from the other players by shooting them out of the circle. Those are sharp looking marbles. Silver pretty nice too, but those marbles bring back fond memories.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an amazing dig and finds. I love those marbles. Reminds me of elementary school in the 50’s. We use to bring marbles to school and play a game against other students. One could actually win marbles from the other players by shooting them out of the circle. Those are sharp looking marbles. Silver pretty nice too, but those marbles bring back fond memories.
We used to play the same game when I was a kid in the 60s. But those two marbles are late 1800s/early 1900s so we weren't playing with these kind of marbles. The swirly one is a hand made German marble called an "Indian" and the other is glazed porcelain. I love both of them.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Thats a nice haul Steve. Little newer of finds than im used to seeing from you but still good stuff.

That one marble is an oldie probably german. I love finding them. Ive picked up alot of them over the years.

Jer

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice haul Steve. Little newer of finds than im used to seeing from you but still good stuff.

That one marble is an oldie probably german. I love finding them. Ive picked up alot of them over the years.

Jer
You know I prefer much older sites Jeremy, but right now I don't have any productive colonial sites so I'll take what I can get :laughing7:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Agreed,

I take all era of finds myself. I really enjoy the colonial period finds myself. For awhile i was focusing on them and was doing well with early 1800s finds.

But i was spending more time reading maps trecking woods etc to finds sites than i was hunting.

Im mostly finding late 1800s stuff but more consistent. Im sure you'll get on a few early sites this year.

Westmoreland co close to where i work has got some really old sites.

Jer

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed,

I take all era of finds myself. I really enjoy the colonial period finds myself. For awhile i was focusing on them and was doing well with early 1800s finds.

But i was spending more time reading maps trecking woods etc to finds sites than i was hunting.

Im mostly finding late 1800s stuff but more consistent. Im sure you'll get on a few early sites this year.
y des
Westmoreland co close to where i work has got some really old sites.

Jer
I found these Spanish silvers in Bedford, Somerset, and Westmoreland counties, with two more from Culpeper Virginia and one from Washington county. I have found 3 more since this picture was taken. You don't see many of these dug in Allegheny county despite more diggers. Sometimes you have to drive a little ways for the older stuff.
Spanish All - 1.JPG

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Yeah that's a fantastic amount of Spanish silvers Steve.

You got me beat there by a long stretch. However about 5 years ago or so I did find a 8 reale at a foundation site down in Sewickley.

1821 I wanna say 1822 can't recall the date at the moment. But yes for some reason you don't find them in Allegheny co.

I think because all the soil has been moved around to much over the years. I am sure it's well old enough for spanish silver though.

Yes one day when kids are gone I may focus on our nearby counties to start to build more of a colonial collection.

Jer

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that's a fantastic amount of Spanish silvers Steve.

You got me beat there by a long stretch. However about 5 years ago or so I did find a 8 reale at a foundation site down in Sewickley.

1821 I wanna say 1822 can't recall the date at the moment. But yes for some reason you don't find them in Allegheny co.

I think because all the soil has been moved around to much over the years. I am sure it's well old enough for spanish silver though.

Yes one day when kids are gone I may focus on our nearby counties to start to build more of a colonial collection.

Jer

Allegheny county is definitely old enough for Spanish silver, and I'm sure plenty of it still resides in Allegheny County. But so much of the land is urban and suburban, paved over and built over. All but a handful of mine were found along 18th century travel routes, where there were once taverns or encampments. Those sites are lost in Allegheny county.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread