cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was finally able to find some time to return to the woods where I recently found the rare Indian Head error, twice actually this week. It's amazing what's happening here in the Northeast with an early spring arrival, I don't ever remember leaves and bugs popping up so early. Usually April is the best month around here to detect in the woods, as the brush is still minimal enough to get to the really good spots.

It wasn't long before I started finding little hot-spots like I had hoped. These woods are SO old, you can almost picture the crowds that have walked, picnicked, hunted, camped, and just visited this area over the last couple hundred years.

One of the first things I uncovered is a mystery to me, a long (5 or 6 inches) thin piece of silver (at least I think it's silver), decorative and engraved....

sb.04.19.10.9.jpg

sb.04.19.10.10.jpg

sb.04.19.10.11.jpg

Not really sure what I've got here, there are two small holes at one end on either side, so it looks like something was attached to swing out of channel. Any guesses?

Shortly thereafter I plucked out another Indian Head, not very far from the 1873 ddo that I found. Unbelievable, almost the same condition...whatever it is about this soil it's very kind to pennies....

sb.04.19.10.1.jpg

Then, two more pieces of decorative silver something, split, but right next to each other. Maybe the cap to a small container?

sb.04.19.10.5.jpg

After a section of lots of trash and bullets and shell casings, I came upon a little rise and a flat spot closer to the lake itself, and started finding a lot of wheat pennies. Then, one right after another, five pieces of silver...

sb.04.19.10.4.jpg

sb.04.19.10.6.jpg

sb.04.19.10.3.jpg

I love the little ring, seems very old to me, but how can I tell? Marked "Sterling", and appears to have a hallmark just below that.

I went back a few days later, only had about an hour, and didn't find anything except for this tiny little lock:

sb.04.19.10.2.jpg

The round portion is no bigger than the circumference of a dime, with a little dog head in the center. Not really sure what it would be used for, maybe a diary?

Well, I'm certainly going back this week, there is so much area to cover I can't wait to see what else lies beneath this earth.

Thanks for looking, and happy hunting to you all,
Steve

Upvote 0

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Steve, You'll be able to tollerate the brush and bugs for awhile longer now, since your goodie pouch has had a good taste of whats in those woods.
HH DFW

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an exciting wooded site you have found there to hunt! Many old goodies in the bag and lots more ground to hunt. I love the silver relics you have recovered, and will follow this thread in hopes a TNET expert can provide an ID on that first item. Now go back and find some more before the spring growth overtakes the woods!

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Oh man, I've never seen so many cool finds from one hunt. I'd be going crazy until I got back out there.
I'd sure love to find an Indian in that shape. They're usually pretty nasty around here, but when I lived in Michigan they'd come out of the ground like they were just dropped.
Have a good time!
Mike

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
cool stuff! I think that looks like the handle to a letter opener possibly.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds,

Those woods have seen some activity.

HH Jer

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keseppa

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2009
Kokkola
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DS 30, DS 23 XL
The silver piece in the first picture is a decoration from the back of a wooden comb. Can't say for sure from what time it is because I don't know US antiquity as well as European but I think its about 150-250 years old.

Very nice finds.

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may well be the covering of a comb. I was thinking it might cover one side of a lady's fan. Beautiful, regardless! Wish I had a place like that to hunt.

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silver 2 pieces that go together might be a match box. For storage of matches. And the engraved piece I am leaning more towards part of a mechanical pencil.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds! :icon_thumright:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome finds :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very unique finds. I agree that it looks like a decorative comb back. The comb itself was probably celluloid or ivory. If that is indeed silver, it would be too fancy for a plain wooden comb.
The punched holes on the open side were for screws or rivets that secured the comb into the handle. It was most likely part of a set that included a hairbrush, a mirror, and maybe a fancy tray.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Steve. Silver finds like these are a great sign! Congrats and pound that spot. Hogge :headbang:

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the old silver items. That brush/fan piece is very beautiful! And that ring I absolutely love. I found one very similar to it last week in a bottle dump. In the picture of the ring, to the right is there what looks like a solder point where the pattern doesn't match up? If so I think we might have sister rings the patterns aren't the same but the style is very much alike :) check it out....

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,316551.msg2280639.html#msg2280639

........and as always good luck and happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions