Returned two out of three, good will plus $20

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The beach was almost deserted when I arrived as the sun was setting. Speak of miserable, the chilling winds were howling so loudly, I could barely hear the threshold with my underwater head phones. It became beyond spooky when it turned pitch black in only a few minutes, and my headlamp did not put out enough light.

As night time is crime time, I am especially cautious, and noticed what looked like a beach comber looking for items between high and low tide, then up along the towel line. Upon changing direction, he moved higher toward the crest then rapidly approached me on the diagonal (not good).
Since the wind was blowing toward me I could hear from a distance and was relieved when asked me if, I was able to detect a car key.

I told him, I would be glad to try, and requested that
He drag his foot in the sand to mark where he had been, which turned out to be about ¼ of the beach, which would take hours to search. Fortunately, he knew where his towel was, and I was able to find the key within a few minutes. When I looked up, I saw that he was already gone, back to the top of the crest, to talk on his cell phone and returned when I shined my light at him. He thanked me for finding the key several times and I told him that he was welcome and glad I was able to help. A few minutes later he returned and gave me a twenty dollar reward, which I gratefully accepted, as I am retired. This will enable me to buy a better head lamp for nightline treasure hunting plus a little gas; hopefully, be able to help others.

I later found sixty five cents in change: 1 qtr, 2 dimes, 3 nickels, 5 zinc pennies trying out the three new programs for the CTX 3030 I with a 17 inch search coil. I was amazed by the sensitivity and selectivity of this monstrous search coil.

I would have found more, but I left as soon as I was able to check out the modified search programs for my use which was my objective of the trip.

A few weeks earlier, I found an expensive electronic car key, with a CVS discount card on key ring.
I had a clerk at Longs Drug Store, contact the owner, but I never received a call back from the person who lost the key (NO JOY)!

Earlier, I was asked by the leader of the beach cleanup crew, to help him find a key that was lost from a borrowed pick up used to clean up the beach. Returning this key, created a lot of good will with the large beach cleanup crew (volunteers) who meet weekly for this purpose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Good story SGC! It's nice to be able to help someone and be rewarded. Swinging the 17 inch coil is another thing altogether! It is a handful!
Best of luck!

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's a great post, Sir Gala Clad!:thumbsup:

Congrats on finding those items and returning them.

HH
Lorraine

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great story. I don't think I could handle hunting at night on the beach, I'd be to freaked out.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love being in the ocean at night, but I tend not to use a light because it draws unnecessary attention. Normally, the water is calmer and it is just me and my thoughts. On the downside, I get stung more by the critters (especially jellies if there has been an offshore wind).

I am pleased that you were able to find the fellow's key. I hate finding keys without a way to return them, knowing that somebody lost something very valuable to them and junk to me.

OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto: For me there is nothing better than to be out detecting when the moon is full, or when the wet sand / water is luminescent and you can see the blue glow as you walk/sweep your search coil.

I love being in the ocean at night, but I tend not to use a light because it draws unnecessary attention. Normally, the water is calmer and it is just me and my thoughts. On the downside, I get stung more by the critters (especially jellies if there has been an offshore wind).

I am pleased that you were able to find the fellow's key. I hate finding keys without a way to return them, knowing that somebody lost something very valuable to them and junk to me.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good-deeds-logo-colour1.jpg

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, a full moon is wonderful. On a clear night, you cast a shadow.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sir Gala Clad, you sound like you're a pretty decent chap. Thanks for the uplifting story. I've enjoyed reading it with my morning coffee!

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoyed that! Great return!

OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story. I don't think I could handle hunting at night on the beach, I'd be to freaked out.

Nor could I! But that all changed after my home was broken into and office equipment stolen in the morning while I was grocery shopping.

Now I cannot leave my home unless someone is there while I am away.
I especially dread running into surfing friends – an infection from stepping on broken glass/debris from the breakin almost cost me my life, and ruined my balance (nerve damage).

I took up shallow water detecting to keep the swelling down in one of my legs from edema, soaking in salt water reduces the swelling without having to use medicine, which would be harmful over time.

Now I am more comfortable alone at night on the beach, than being in my home which I once considered my castle.

Fear remains but has shifted from fear of the unknown and dreaded to “That of not doing or being able to do what I want to do”.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread