CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings All from California,

I used to own a metal detector as a teenager. Used to detect parks, beaches and the occasional old site. I am now approaching 60 and am interested in returning to the fold. The question is, should I start with a "beginners" machine? Or should I invest in something a bit more expensive that I can grow into? Any help is appreciated!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet! Depends on your level of interest and time to devote to the learning curve. I personally aim high so I have something I can grow into. Good luck!

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :hello:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: California for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome back

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! Find a dealer and play around with the detectors, something will attract you.
Jon from s/e Michigan
8-)
:cat:
:occasion14:
:headbang:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet from MI Tommy

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome from Connecticut! You can probably pick up a used AT Pro pretty reasonably and it’s a great machine. You might find a higher end machine very frustrating as a beginning machine. I got a Nox 800 and it’s been a tough learning curve. The fact that I’m tone deaf and have a very short attention span (both facts verified repeatedly by my wife) haven’t made it any easier. Whichever you choose, good luck.
HH
dts

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome back to the hobby:occasion14:

OP
OP
C

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from Connecticut! You can probably pick up a used AT Pro pretty reasonably and it’s a great machine. You might find a higher end machine very frustrating as a beginning machine. I got a Nox 800 and it’s been a tough learning curve. The fact that I’m tone deaf and have a very short attention span (both facts verified repeatedly by my wife) haven’t made it any easier. Whichever you choose, good luck.
HH
dts

Thanks dts52! The Minelab Equinox 800 is definitely on my radar! I was also looking at the Garrett AT Max and Fisher F75. Any thoughts?

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Thanks dts52! The Minelab Equinox 800 is definitely on my radar! I was also looking at the Garrett AT Max and Fisher F75. Any thoughts?

The Equinox 600 is best bang for the buck. I do own both the 600 and 800 but I didn't pay new, retail price on my 800. Honestly? Had an 800 been available when I bought my 600, I'd gotten the 800. That's my usual mentality to buy the top. My 600 still gets as much of my swing time today. Hope this helps.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back!

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters of all kinds -- welcome aboard mate! :occasion14:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, CalReg - Sorry, I have no experience with either the AT Max or the Fisher so I can't help you there. One of my buddies recently got a Nokta and he is very pleased with it.
dts

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The 800 seems like a great all around detector. I've owned all different detectors, up and down different prices and types. My primary is F75. I use in good ground land sites. I've never even taken it to the beach because I know it won't work well in bad ground or wet saltwater beaches. Minelab does very well in the right hands. Learn and relearn your detector and have as much fun as you can

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! Perhaps start with a mid-range machine that has some features that interest you. Be warned some of the newer detectors have a lot of things to adjust and play with while hunting. If you like tweaking your detector. GL & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions