Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been away from detective for a while and I'm looking for a new machine. So far I'm looking at the Fisher F22 and one of the Garret models (still looking into them). Money is an issue, but also know you get what you pay for. Any tips, suggestions, opinions?

Tons of good ones in the F22 price range.I went with this a few years ago & Love it :) https://mans.io/files/viewer/666998/1

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've heard nothing but good things about the F22. The Simplex is another good machine albeit a bit more expensive. Of course, there's also the Vanquish metal detectors too. Whatever you decide, good luck and happy hunting!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome back, what kind of detecting you going to do the majority of the time? If you plan on beach hunting, specifically in the wet sand or in the water, the lower end Garretts and the F22 are not the best choice. Now if you plan on hunting the dry sand only and also hunt parks, schools, tot lots, and private yards then they will serve you just fine.

OP
OP
Tony66

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
I've never heard of teknetics. The link was for the liberator, but the patriot really caught my attention. Thanks for the heads up.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome back.
You might also consider keeping an eye on the classifieds on the forum for a higher end machine that is up for sale.
Also figure out what the options are then put up a wanted ad up, for a membership fee cost will out weigh the end saving on a gently used machine.
Many folks buy, get hooked on the latest model, and the other one sits behind gathering dust balls around the coil in the corner.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally had problems with the F22 - The primary issue was on two machines the pinpoint button quick working after just a few weeks. I sent one in for repair and gave up on the second one. The button is poorly glued on at the factory is my guess and falls off.
2nd the VDI is pretty bad on all but shallow targets and depth is OK at best to 6". Having owned both the F22 and Simplex at that price point I would recommend the Simplex. However I do like the tones and iron audio on the fishers machines so for me Personally I'm open to trying out an F75 whenever I get a chance to pick one up on the cheap. Also many hated the teardrop coil but I actually liked it on the F22 and wish the Simplex came from the factory with a smaller coil 9" would have been my preference.

Actually I would probably recommend the Simplex for anyone who is under the $400 dollar range. It is a very good imitation of all the bells and whistles you get with a Equinox or Deus. Had I not already owned the ORX I would probably still be using the Simplex.
For $250 dollars it is very hard to beat and for another $100 down the line you could pickup another coil but for now I would recommend you leave some room for a good pinpointer first. (The only other machine I owned at that price range that I prefer was a Tesoro but I have a soft spot for Analog machines and they are no longer in business)

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally had problems with the F22 - The primary issue was on two machines the pinpoint button quick working after just a few weeks. I sent one in for repair and gave up on the second one. The button is poorly glued on at the factory is my guess and falls off.
2nd the VDI is pretty bad on all but shallow targets and depth is OK at best to 6". Having owned both the F22 and Simplex at that price point I would recommend the Simplex. However I do like the tones and iron audio on the fishers machines so for me Personally I'm open to trying out an F75 whenever I get a chance to pick one up on the cheap. Also many hated the teardrop coil but I actually liked it on the F22 and wish the Simplex came from the factory with a smaller coil 9" would have been my preference.

Actually I would probably recommend the Simplex for anyone who is under the $400 dollar range. It is a very good imitation of all the bells and whistles you get with a Equinox or Deus. Had I not already owned the ORX I would probably still be using the Simplex.
For $250 dollars it is very hard to beat and for another $100 down the line you could pickup another coil but for now I would recommend you leave some room for a good pinpointer first. (The only other machine I owned at that price range that I prefer was a Tesoro but I have a soft spot for Analog machines and they are no longer in business)

I love my Simplex. I would definitely recommend it along with the wireless headphones. And right now, they STILL have the special deal where you get a free Pulsedive pinpointer with purchase. That's a $100+ pinpointer that integrates with the wireless headphones. So when you turn on the pinpointer, your detector goes quiet. Turn off the pinpoint and the detector turns back on. It's an awesome piece of kit.

You simply can't beat that deal anywhere on the market today. Great totally waterproof detector, wireless headphones, and great waterproof pinpointer for $339. No one else can touch it for the price. But that pinpointer deal has already lasted longer than I figured it would given that it was supposed to be a "holiday special". So if you want that deal, get it soon. Big Boys Hobbies is a forum sponsor and they still list the deal on their web site.

HOWEVER... if you are going to do wet salt water sand/beaches, then the Simplex (like the other single frequency machines you listed) are not the best choice. For salt water beaches you will want a multi-frequency machine like the Vanquish. The Simplex has a salt water setting and it is usable, but not great.

OP
OP
Tony66

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
Lots of good input. When I had my Bounty Hunter, I enjoyed it, but knew I would upgrade eventually. So, if I'm going to get back into it, I'll get a better machine. Considering where I live, I'd be lying if I didn't think I'd hit salt water. There's a couple of beach like areas less than 10 minutes away.
I forgot about the classified section. When I have the funds together, I'll definitely check it out.
I would consider myself a beginner, but want a better machine than I had before.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to locate a dealer or md club in your area to get hands on a machine. You may find a totally different one than you thought.
Jon 8-) :cat::occasion14: :headbang:

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to hit saltwater beaches, then a single frequency machine is not going to be the right detector. You would want a multi-frequency machine for anything salty. I would look at the Minelab Vanquish, Minelab Equinox, and Garrett Apex. Of those three, only the Equinox is totally waterproof (and it is expensive). The other two have waterproof coils but you can't get the control box wet. So you could do damp salty sand but you'd want to stay out of the surf unless you are going to pony up the dough for the Equinox. All three are also great machines for parks, yards, and fresh water beaches.

When I was looking for a new machine I narrowed it down to the Simplex and the Vanquish. For me, salt water wasn't a concern because I live in the Midwest. Being waterproof is what sold me on the Simplex because I do a lot of kayaking. But if I lived near the ocean I would buy the Vanquish in a heartbeat. That assumes the Equinox is not in your price range.

Good luck! Let us know what you finally decide.

OP
OP
Tony66

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
Based on the suggestions and a little bit of research on said machines, I'm leaning towards one of the vanquish machines, simplex or teknetics. In that order. Since I don't have the funds yet and not sure when I will, I've got plenty of time do more research.
However, as an observation, it's nice to see the forum is still a good place for getting help. Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions