doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you own still or have you ever re-purchase your first detector and decided to swing it again?

Please share your experiences of fond memories of metal detecting on your best finds that you will never forget. Why that detector will never replace what memories it gave back to you, what you use today and you would never look back either it being your first, or even second detector what memorable moments you have if you would like to reply to this thread.

More than often most would never waste time spending time detecting again from experience where our technology has taken us and through your time with detecting with newer devices that you swing today vs vintage or older ones you have swung, why did you do it as their are others out there that never consider looking back?

What Vintage models have you bought and would you pick up again?

What do you use as your go to today or want to buy in the future and why?

Since the Analog vs Digital days what would make you pick up that dusty thing again just for reminiscence the past?

Would it be to compare it to what you have today and what takes you back to way things were knowing the conditions and environment in your prospecting vs what you have to work in today...remember when we only had then to what you know now the experience while still trusting our inner child to dig for everything to what you put in your trust in the detector you use today is it your display? Maybe there are some folks that still listen and are digging everything even if they have that top notch device...good on ya.

In either case I would like to hear from you and HH.

Regards.

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No, i had a couple of Garretts then i bought a Tek Mk 1, then a Minelab Sov that i used in many places around the world.. Deep detection and worked everywhere...Great unit..Later i got a F75 that I liked and found a lot of great stuff. Im 78 now, looking forward to trying my new Nox. Detectors gave gotten more powerful and much lighter and that is a plus for me...

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first machine that was my own was a Compass 94B - used - got it at age 12 - 1975
After my first year and almost finding nothing - I almost gave it up
When thaw came in 1976 - i decided to try my yard which went back to the late 1930s
I started finding Mercs, wheats and other silver and old items - everyday after school I
would hit my yard and when i thought an area was cleaned out - i would go back over it
slower and with higher sensitivity (actual higher back ground hum) and go for the faint
signals and still find deep stuff. I learned my machine and after that Spring - every place i went
I was pulling up keepers.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have my first detector, a Garrett Groundhog I bought new in 1977. It still works too. One of my most memorable finds was my first Walker. I was detecting a school in a small town and saw a huge pine tree. I figured the tree was probably much smaller years ago so I put the coil under the limbs and got a great signal. The Walker was only down one inch in the soil.

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah most detectors back in the day didn't give up more than an inch or so, that's what I found with my 3001 Micronta Radio Shack detector, reason moving up to the Whites 4000i, also when you were kids me moving from something light to heavier really didn't bother me so much as it does now today, hence reason going for the lighter models. I really liked how the Whites sounded when it narrowed in on a coin, most were really 1-3 inches at most but bought a lots of mojo's back in the day which my penny fines was also just a memorable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread