gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rev War Loyalist Button! Southern campaign - Royal Provincials

Greetings from a muggy and buggy Charleston, SC. Took the kayak out tonight to a site that vmiairpwr and I have hit 3 or 4 times in the past with little success. It was a landing site which was occupied by both the Continentals and the British during the Revolutionary war. When I got there it was a very high low tide so I didn't have much space to hunt. In the end it worked out because I was forced to hunt in the Marsh grass where I hadn't looked in the past. About an hour into the hunt I got a solid 60 on the AT Pro. I couldn't find the target and nearly dug a manhole trying to find it. I almost gave up on it, convinced it was just a big piece of aluminum buried deep. Finally the pinpointer locked on a small disc. Looked like a flat button which I would've been happy with, but a little bit of water revealed the crown and an RP. Royal Provincials! I'm thrilled to say the least and I think this might be my favorite find. It measures approx 20-21mm. Going to coat it in some briwax and get some better photos but here's how she looks right now with no cleaning. Any way to tell if it's an officers button? Thanks for looking.
_20150919_193651.JPG
IMG_20150919_195415331.jpg
IMG_20150919_195220581.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 16

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, that's way better than any flat button!, great find!!

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations

OP
OP
gheenoe78

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's brackish. I get a lot of false signals on this machine so I usually dial it back to only 3 or 4 bars on the sensitivity scale and just hunt targets up to 5-6 inches deep.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rev war is always a great find. It's pewter so it is from an enlisted soldier not an officer button. There is nothing to clean so any attempt would make the condition far worse, and make sure you check in on it every once in a while because even when sealed fairly well they can still break down a bit. I recently had to redo many of my pewters that I dug many years ago. If you dug it in fresh water, and it being grey in color, I think once coated you likely will be good. Mine are always white from oxidation with edge loss.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find Gheenoe!
If you are only get one keeper on a hunt that is definitely the one to get.
Great way to stay after that target. Bet you happy it was a high low tide???? Congrats
George

OP
OP
gheenoe78

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks y'all and thanks for the ID and preservation tip IP. I'll get some better photos tonight when I get it sealed with some wax.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WAY TO GO GHENOOOOO ON THE REV FIND , COOL ..

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome to find a pewter in that same...i have one but on 1/4 that size...many dug around me in great shape...British version of the USA button..congrats

OP
OP
gheenoe78

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, here she is with a thin layer of briwax. Ready for the display case and her next 235 years as a treasure I hope to pass down to my children or a local historical preservation society.

This is my second rev war button, the first being a 23rd regiment of foot. I've since bought a book about the 23rd regiment and their history during the war and am reading up on this period in history. Might even find some new sites in the process!
_20150921_194508.JPG

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save on a piece of history. Isn't it amazing how one item make your whole day.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, here she is with a thin layer of briwax. Ready for the display case and her next 235 years as a treasure I hope to pass down to my children or a local historical preservation society.

This is my second rev war button, the first being a 23rd regiment of foot. I've since bought a book about the 23rd regiment and their history during the war and am reading up on this period in history. Might even find some new sites in the process!
View attachment 1214052

I've been lucky to find quite a few of those but it's still a rush every time. This Fall I'll have to visit some of those sites and try and squeeze one more.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG man...I told VMI once...I too am working a site where troops were resupplied during the rev war...found a few pewter regimental buttons and mine have all been broken...tons of musket balls, but been a little jealous of you guys ha ha well done!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions