Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Got back out the the Revolutionary War battery this evening- a site active during the Revolution, War of 1812, and Civil wars. This cite had already produced a War of 1812 I button last week and a few round balls. Within minutes the Safari began ringing off the hook- everywhere I dug I began pulling out lead slag, fired .69 caliber musket rounds, and smaller round ball fragments. After an hour or so I dug my first buttons- both flat buttons in need of a long olive oil soak. Not far from the these, I dug a large, domed, copper button with a square whole in the middle. The prize of the day occurred just before sunset as the Safari's tones began bouncing between high ferrous and low conductive. Given the history of the site, any repeatable signal was good enough to justify a plug. As soon as I flipped the plug over I knew what I had...my first officer's GOLD cuff link! I had found a 3rd regiment of foot pewter cuff earlier this year, but never dreamed of finding a solid gold one. Enjoy the pics!

20150215_201456.jpg 1306852328717.jpg 1306852330342.jpg 1306852349560.jpg 1306852488309.jpg i.jpg

Upvote 22

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's down right sweet! Congrats on the gold cuff link. Seen lots of silver but this is the first gold one, maybe it should go up on the banner-Ya I'm voting on this great looking find.

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of Bertie's site I go with him to. Buttons and musket balls. Hard to beat finds!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just unreal that's all I can say nice button, hell nice everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!vanzutphen

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great cufflink! Really interesting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Update

After doing some research last night, I found that the octagonal cuff links date from the first half of the 18th century and fell out of fashion by the 1780's which corresponds with the Revolutionary War battle site timeline. I also confirmed the gold content of the link with an acid test and it and it came back 22K. Apparently goldsmiths, the jewelers of the 18th century, fashioned such items of jewelery and personal adornment by melting down gold coins. The Smithsonian reports that 18th century gold adornment could only be afforded by royalty and the very wealthy and consequently are exceedingly rare. Definitely makes you wonder who might have worn it

20150216_095836.jpg

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on an extremely nice, and rare find. Good show!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update

After doing some research last night, I found that the octagonal cuff links date from the first half of the 18th century and fell out of fashion by the 1780's which corresponds with the Revolutionary War battle site timeline. I also confirmed the gold content of the link with an acid test and it and it came back 22K. Apparently goldsmiths, the jewelers of the 18th century, fashioned such items of jewelery and personal adornment by melting down gold coins. The Smithsonian reports that 18th century gold adornment could only be afforded by royalty and the very wealthy and consequently are exceedingly rare. Definitely makes you wonder who might have worn it

View attachment 1120537

Good research, although this a really great find & I think its the first gold version of this period I have seen posted, it's only just Rev War era & may have no association at all. But there is a chance......
CONGRATS

See another from a non Rev War context:
http://www.xpmetaldetectorsamericas.com/real-finds/rare-18th-century-octagonal-gold-cufflink-found

Last edited:

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the group. Totally a great set. You'll remember that day for a long time

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think many can look at this post and think ...ok, just part of a small gold cufflink. whatver.. but it's not like they were throwing them out, and I'm guessing gold was gold, and that could have been traded as currency. It's certainly nothing like finding a piece of modern jewelry, and I guess that's the point I'm trying to make.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the beautiful finds.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think many can look at this post and think ...ok, just part of a small gold cufflink. whatver.. but it's not like they were throwing them out, and I'm guessing gold was gold, and that could have been traded as currency. It's certainly nothing like finding a piece of modern jewelry, and I guess that's the point I'm trying to make.

Yes, this should get all our juices flowing because your not going to see another one posted for awhile!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread