Reverse Tesoro roll

HistoryStudent

Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This works very well on a multi-tone Tesoro Golden uMax

I've heard people discuss the Tesoro Roll which means hunting with low or little discrimination until a possible good signal is found after which you roll the discrimination up until the signal either disappears or stays good leading you to dig or move on.

I've been using this technique in reverse lately, in nail infested sites. I start with the discrimination set just below nickel until I get a questionable signal after which I roll the discrimination down to see if it changes to a low tone or clarifies into a solid good medium or high tone.

Lower discrimination means better depth and it's amazing how much depth and clarity increases right before your eyes, or ears rather.

I use this technique especially with my 5.75 inch concentric coil because it's much noisier in nail sites. My 9x8 web coil is much quieter so I can run the discrimination lower with it. I just bought a 10x12 concentric coil but I haven't used it yet. I'll try it this weekend.

I managed to pull this stuff from a miserable nail site last weekend with the small, noisy coil use the reverse roll.

IMG_20180326_183703.jpg

Goondock

Jun 24, 2015
Idaho
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are becoming one with that tesoro. Those are some great finds!

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave & Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting! I'll have to give this a try.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
This technique was always referred to as reverse discrimination, seems like it has a name change...lol. Yes, I use this technique often with my uMax. Good seeing some discussion regarding this, I'm sure it works on other brands/styles as well.

Gbortnick

Mar 7, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Mojave with just one tone. I currently us Digger 27s roll where he goes beyond the null and back to sound. How can you do your reverse roll with a single tone machine. Tell me more about your system. Digger 27s system has me at 90% correct discrimination but always looking. I first had a Eldorado but I really love the Mojave. Even better than my new Whites mxt all pro. Tell me what ya think!

Gbortnick

Mar 7, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Mojave and use the same method Digger27 uses. Could you please expand and tell me what you use and how I can use this with a Mojave? I want to learn every method.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great advice and finds! Us old guys call that "Thumbing" the disc. Very good tech.:skullflag:

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Once I set the disc on my Golden, old tone version, I leave it, rarely rolling the disc. Instead, I use that notch switch, I usually hunt with the notch off so that I can set the tone adjust where I want it on nickels, then, As I get a mixed signal within either the low/middle - middle/high range, I flip that notch switch to hear how the signal changes, or if it disappears altogether. Nickel and small gold rings will remain or clear up, they never completely disc out.

OP
OP
HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent

Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Mojave and use the same method Digger27 uses. Could you please expand and tell me what you use and how I can use this with a Mojave? I want to learn every method.

I'm not sure what Digger27's method is but I'm curious about it because I have single-tone tesoros that I haven't worked with as much. The reverse-roll technique would have a different effect with single-tone machines and here's why.

Tesoro's lose depth when you turn the discrimination up and gain depth when you turn it down however, even with higher discrimination, the detector will still almost see things that are just out of range and give a broken or mixed sounding tone. The Golden is a multi-tone machine (low, medium, high) so as I turn my discrimination down, the machine can see more clearly what had been just out of range and give me a clearer tone. Sometimes chirpy medium tones become solid low tone or it might become a solid medium or high tone. It works really well in noisy locations but the important part is that it works so well because the Golden is a multi-tone machine.

If you used this technique with a single-tone machine, the sketchy tone will become a solid tone but it's still just a single tone. You can tell a lot from that single tone but you might not know if you have a signal that you want to dig. It could be a nail or a coin because while you gained depth, you lost discrimination. So, the opposite technique would work better with single tone machines -meaning start with your discrimination low and move it higher to determine where the signal stops and then decide if you want to dig based on the "roll" of the dial.

I hope that helps. There are others here who have much more experience than me with single-tone machines and I hope they will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong about something. I have a silver sabre micomax and a small box Eldorado that want to understand better and they are single-tone machines.

OP
OP
HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent

Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once I set the disc on my Golden, old tone version, I leave it, rarely rolling the disc. Instead, I use that notch switch, I usually hunt with the notch off so that I can set the tone adjust where I want it on nickels, then, As I get a mixed signal within either the low/middle - middle/high range, I flip that notch switch to hear how the signal changes, or if it disappears altogether. Nickel and small gold rings will remain or clear up, they never completely disc out.

I haave not worked with the Notch on my Golden much at all. I don't hunt many areas where pull-tabs (etc.)are much of a problem. Rusty nails are what I fight most and if I understand the Notch tool correctly, it's primary function is blocking pull tabs but not nickels or gold rings. I mainly look for brass war relics. I know that the Golden wasn't designed for that but it's so good at discrimination and the multi-tones are so useful that I would find it hard to switch over to a Tejon even though it IS designed for relic hunting.

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
I haave not worked with the Notch on my Golden much at all. I don't hunt many areas where pull-tabs (etc.)are much of a problem. Rusty nails are what I fight most and if I understand the Notch tool correctly, it's primary function is blocking pull tabs but not nickels or gold rings. I mainly look for brass war relics. I know that the Golden wasn't designed for that but it's so good at discrimination and the multi-tones are so useful that I would find it hard to switch over to a Tejon even though it IS designed for relic hunting.
m

I think you may be missing a lot of nice relics with your golden, as it does not go any where near as deep as the Tejon or Vaquero, and while I think the depth of the Golden may be adequate for parks, looking for coins and jewelry, I just don’t think it was designed for relics... any relics you do find with the Golden is going to be put pretty shallow, relatively speaking.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
m

I think you may be missing a lot of nice relics with your golden, as it does not go any where near as deep as the Tejon or Vaquero, and while I think the depth of the Golden may be adequate for parks, looking for coins and jewelry, I just don’t think it was designed for relics... any relics you do find with the Golden is going to be put pretty shallow, relatively speaking.

Although I don't own a golden (yet... Too pricey) I can attest to this statement based on the umax (5 pins) compared to the HOT (4pin) detectors.
I will say I get very respectable depth on my umax detectors but if you want to hunt deep the vaq and tejon are the way to go.
There's a reason I have many Tesoros. Some are best for some things, others are best for others.
For parks I use the compadre, Mojave, bandido II micromax, or outlaw where most things are shallow(er). (Deleon if I want the tesoro with a touch of fancy digital. Great for coin shooting and not digging trash)
For deep relics and for going back over parks I've picked with my 5 pins I use the vaquero or modded Cibola.

You could reason that the vaquero is best all around because of depth, but there are downsides. It can be more chatty in iron than the 5 pins and there are times I don't need (or want) to be digging 10-12".

It's also the reason I have two of the Turkish machines. The racer2 is great and all but doesn't punch as deep as my relic does. And trust me there are time you don't want that relic in the field. I chased a small piece of can slaw to 14" with that thing.

There's ups and downs for each of the sub sets of Tesoros. For some the vaq is all they need. For others the outlaw is all they need.
Just depends on you. Downside is unless you live close to a nut job like me and can try them, you have to buy and use to know what you like.

OP
OP
HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent

Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my doubts about missing things with my golden. In fact, since I started using this machine, I've found more quality finds than I found with T2 in the same locations. Things out here in the pacific northwest are rarely deeper than 6-7 inches and my golden can see that deep and more with the 9x8 coil. Plus, the golden is a real pleasure to hunt with. So, I'll stick with it for now.

erte

Mar 19, 2017
Croatia
Detector(s) used
gpx 4800, tdi pro, sov gt/xs, sand shark 10.5'', vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like better the regular roll, this is the best video i've seen yet of rolling with a tesoro

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread