Revisiting Enoshima Beach, Japan

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
Today I went to Enoshima beach to do some detecting. I detected at a spot that I've hit over 50 times before, but it still continues to give up coins. My grand total for today is 1,321 yen, or about 13 dollars and 21 cents. One of the 500 yen coins that I found has a discontinued design dating from Showa 63, or 1988; the reason they discontinued it was because counterfeiters were making a lot of fakes, and also because you could use a low denomination Korean coin (I forgot what type), and use it in a vending machine in Japan as a 500 yen coin.

Sorry about the quality of the first picture, I took it with a cell phone at the beach because I was going to spend some of my find before I got home.

Enjoy the pics and HH.

Attachments

• 9_12_10 Finds.jpg
    9_12_10 Finds.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 732
  • Showa 63 500 yen OBVERSE.jpg
    Showa 63 500 yen OBVERSE.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 761
  • Showa 63 500 yen REVERSE.jpg
    Showa 63 500 yen REVERSE.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 766
Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you do pretty good at that beach......Matt

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Cool looking coins, man. Do you often find a large variety of foreign coins on the beaches there? Or do you mostly find just the local types?

OP
OP
Coins4Cheese

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
EpsilonMinus said:
Cool looking coins, man. Do you often find a large variety of foreign coins on the beaches there? Or do you mostly find just the local types?

I've never found a foreign coin here before, just Japanese coins. But there is another metal detectorist who found a US dime on the same beach that I metal detect on.

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Is Enoshima beach the same one you can see Mt. Fuji from? Man, if so, that's a wicked location! And on top of that, you get to hunt for treasure, hah, awesome. Much envy!

OP
OP
Coins4Cheese

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
EpsilonMinus said:
Is Enoshima beach the same one you can see Mt. Fuji from? Man, if so, that's a wicked location! And on top of that, you get to hunt for treasure, hah, awesome. Much envy!

Yep that's the place. It especially beautiful when there's a sunset, and sometimes the sun sets right behind Mt. Fuji, which makes it a spectacular sight.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not for sure, but probably the Korean coin that was being substituted was the 500 won coin.....worth every bit of 50 cents......
and that is not a bad bit of changing......50 cents for 5 dollars......
Some people just have no scruples.
It is hard to imagine that you find no foreign coins.....here in Korea I find Chinese and Japanese at a rate of about 1 out of every 7 or 8 coins. And in one site up towards the DMZ I didn't find any Korean coins, but found a U.S. 1 cent, an Australian 1 cent, and an English 1 cent......must have been a sitdown and chat time for the soldiers.
Try to take a few pics of Mt. Fuji, and some of the spectacular sunsets/sunrises that you might encounter. We would all enjoy
those. Good hunting. :thumbsup:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the high ratio of foreign coins in Korea * was most likely WW2 and Korean war ---japan had already took before WW 2 started and later on Chinese troops were there too (during the Korean War* -they worked with the north koreans)-- of course during the korean war us , brits and aussies were part of the un troops

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ivan, just one bit of erroneous info in your followup post:
Japan never took over Korea during WWII. It took over Korea in 1910. The Japanese were in Korea
as invaders/occupiers from 1910 to 1945.....that is why I find ONLY JAPANESE COINS dating from the
1910-1945 time frame.....because one of the occupation things that Japan did was force the Korean
people to use Japanese money. (Many other things too, but that's on a historical site.)
You are right as to why I found the other coins. Many troops from many countries in Korea, resisting the
communist try at taking over Korea after the Japanese left, at the end of WWII......left a vacuum that the
commies tried to fill.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread