Revolutionary War British Stirrup

Collers9640

Nov 21, 2011
Pennsylvania/South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 & 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this stirrup at the same site that I found the 54th Reg Button. The Stirrup was about 2 ft deep, packed in clay. It is also in remarkably great shape. I guess because little moisture and little oxygen got to it. The Metal is still Grey!!!!
Anybody know what phenomena could haven't preserved it some well. I 100% sure of its age and of it being rev war due to the location I recovered it.
Also after electrolysis what should I coat it with (Please I'm looking for someone that has a professional solution for coating it Thanks)

Attachments

• image-1198963783.jpg
    image-1198963783.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 251

skimel

Aug 23, 2012
Farmington NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I also found a stirrup yesterday although I don't know from what time period. I found it near an old rock foundation in the middle of the woods. I have no idea on the age of the structure. The stirrup and the remains of an old pocketknife are the only items of interest that I have found so far. No coins yet. Hopefully someone will answer up as to preservation techniques.

OP
OP
C

Collers9640

Nov 21, 2011
Pennsylvania/South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 & 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can you send me a pic of the stirrup? Maybe I can help. Do you know what was on the homesite?

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

skimel

Aug 23, 2012
Farmington NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will take photos shortly. Not sure what was on homesite. There are foundation rocks, some remnants of old handmade bricks, and broken pane glass, nothing else. Its in woods with absolutely nothing else nearby. I have checked records and can find no info on a previous house. On the same property several hundred yards away there used to be a negro school built I believe in the 1890's and used until 1943. Then the school house which was a one room log cabin, was turned into a tenant house and additions were added. It is long gone and the only remnants is an old well. Haven't found much on that site either, other than old glass, nails, and remants of agriculture implements.

skimel

Aug 23, 2012
Farmington NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMG_20121006_114520-1.jpg IMG_20121006_114735-1.jpg

Here is the stirrup. the pocketknife found 5 feet or so away from where the stirrup was found. I haven't cleaned them yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread