Revolutionary War 'USA' Pewter Button!!

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today, I went to look for the location of a fort that was in my area during the Revolutionary War. We know the general area, but it encompassed a good amount of acreage... enclosing a house, a large barn, several acres of land and had two block houses built to house the cannon, I believe they were both six-pounders. Anyway, I found a spot where there is some large-ish stone strewn about with a bit of brick mixed in. There is pottery, glass, pipe stem pieces, etc. on the surface as well.

So, I was poking around trying to get a decent signal through the iron -using the AT Pro with the 5x8" coil. The first thing that came out was this tombac button:

Tombac.jpg

All the while, a coooold wind was picking up and I could see a wall of rain coming over the mountains, like 'Something wicked this way comes'... I was debating with myself whether or not I should start making my way to the Jeep, but decided, 'Just one more signal' and I'll run for it. I got a decent hit, dug it up, couldn't find it with the pinpointer... finally got it in my hand, cleaned it off a bit and, 'Awe crap, a chunk of melted lead'. At this point, the rain was pelting down and the temperature had dropped 15-20 degrees. I threw the find in my pocket and high-tailed it out of there. In the car, I wiped off the tombac and figured I'd check out the muddy bit of lead, when I thought I could see a pattern... With the help of a toothbrush and some rain coming through the window, I realized I had found my first undeniable Revolutionary War find! It's not the best, but pretty cool to me.

USAButton.jpg

We find musket balls often, but you never really can tell when they're from for sure. Finding this button at least mostly confirms I'm in the neighborhood of the fort. In the near future, I'll hit it up more thoroughly and see what else comes up. Does anyone have any recommendations for cleaning it up a bit without messing with what detail is there... it's kind of crusty. Thanks for looking!

Upvote 23

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great button, I found one in about the same condition. Still there is no denying what it is, nice piece of history

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find man !!!!:occasion14:

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a great button....I hope that you are close to the fort and your next USA will be whole!--JB

chefjuan

Sep 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, love the rev war button!! I don't think the first one is tomback but it's definitely pretty old!! Great finds and HH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet find

OP
OP
Driftwoood

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, all! Yeah, I'll surely be scouring that area over the next few months. It's not only cool historical stuff in general, but a very specific and locally important site as well. I will be sure to keep posting new finds!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's amazing, congratulations! I hope some of those made it over to this side of the river :laughing7:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice! still waiting to join that club.

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the rev war button. Any usa rev war is a special piece of history to me.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting