Rhode Island Point

StringFellowHawk

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this a while ago on an island is Narragansett Bay in Rhode Island. Any one have any thoughts or information on it. It was on the edge of an eroded shoreline. I was actually looking for "sea glass" and happened to find this insted.

NCM_7105[1].JPG NCM_7106[1].JPG NCM_7107[1].JPG

Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice! It's a good size Late Woodland Levanna point. Appears to be made of jasper. Thought Attleboro red felsite at first, but that spot of yellow in the red tells me jasper. Boy, that's huge for a Levanna. Great find.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site and nice big triangular point

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice! It's a good size Late Woodland Levanna point. Appears to be made of jasper. Thought Attleboro red felsite at first, but that spot of yellow in the red tells me jasper. Boy, that's huge for a Levanna. Great find.

wow you are right......it is huge......what would it have been used for......atlatl dart point?

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow you are right......it is huge......what would it have been used for......atlatl dart point?

Steve, I've seen Levanna points made of quartz that exceeded 3 inches. Since Levannas and the smaller Late Woodland triangles are seen as arrow points, it has been suggested that very large ones found on coastal sites might have been harpoon points. This was suggested by the late Jeff Boudreau, who wrote our most recent, and best, New England typology guide.

OP
OP
S

StringFellowHawk

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any idea how old it is? I thought the red stone(Jasper), was very strange for the area.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing is badass. Great find!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Any idea how old it is? I thought the red stone(Jasper), was very strange for the area.

Levannas are roughly in the 500-1200 year old range. Two sources for jasper used in Woodland times here were Pennsylvania jasper and Limerock jasper from Lincoln, RI. Visually, it's impossible to distinguish the two. Assuming it is jasper, usually need heat treating to get it red like that.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions