RHODE ISLAND TRIP: Cellar Holes, Fishin Poles, and a Plate Surprise ending!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RHODE ISLAND TRIP: Cellar Holes, Fishin' Poles, and a Plate Surprise ending!

It was once said that every morning in New England began and ended with Dunkin' Donuts so I had to go and find out for myself. 8) :wink: .....So there I was, on a plane to Rhode Island to visit a very good friend of mine Bill Ladd as well as New England friends John, Howard, and Rob. When I arrived in R. I. I knew we were in for a weekend full of fishing, both Dirt AND Saltwater!
Bill had a beautiful cellar hole lined up for us to detect. He and Howard had found it previously but had stopped digging after finding a Carolus III Two-Reale and a Draped Bust Large Cent in the first 5 minutes of detecting there. He didn't have his video camera with him and wanted to get the site being dug on video. The cellar hole was a real beauty too, one of the prettiest I've seen and very well intact. Within a minute or two of dropping the coil down to detect I received a solid Copper signal in my headphones....I cut a plug in the rocky soil and flipped it over and the signal was still in the hole. I broke out the Propointer and put it down into the hole and got a solid signal right on top of a large Glacial Rock....I started removing dirt with my finger and out popped out a King George Half-penny. We were happy and thought "It's ON" at that point which was literally right as we turned on the detectors. We had a good time and although there wasn't as much there as we had hoped, we did end up with some nice keepers.
The next day we went fishing out past the 'Beaver Tail' and took home ALOT of Keepers! :icon_sunny: :headbang: We had a blast and spent the next day back at dirt fishing the whole day until my flight had to leave that night @ 7! ;D Thanks again Bill, John, Rob and Howard. They treated me with terrific hospitality and if one hadn't known from their accents ;D :wink:, he might've thought he were down South somewhere.
I had a terrific time, thanks again guys and can't wait to do it again in the near future!! :occasion14: :occasion14:

On the day I returned home to Virginia, I figured to unwind, I'd go out and try to get a couple bullets in the late afternoon heat.....What I ended up getting was quite a very nice surprise!

So without further adieu, here's the photos:

RHODE ISLAND, the resident home of not only my friends, but also of T.A.P.S. aka The "Ghost Hunters" 8) ;D

Bill and Myself
Rhode Island Trip edd.jpg

In the Relic-hunting World, this is what New England's known for..... .....and this was a NICE one!
Rhode Island Trip (12)ed.jpg

We were ready to dig into it!

Rhode Island & Return Relics 047.jpg

Rhode Island Trip (26).jpg

These were a few of the finds including a worn King George Halfpenny that popped out in the first couple minutes of scanning..... Also a Revolutionary War "Arabic 17" 17th Foot of Regiment Button
Rhode Island Findsed2.jpg

One-Piece Eagle Button
Rhode Island & Return Relics 048.jpg

OFF TO THE SALTWATER...

I definitely DID CONFIRM, that it is a Mortal Truth!, that every morning does Indeed began and end with Dunkin' Donuts! Therefore we made the regularly scheduled morning stop there to fuel up on iced coffee and donuts and then we were off on the trail of the elusive 'Door Mat' Flounder, or as they call'em up there in New England, Fluke. :) :wink:
Rhode Island Trip (74).jpg

Man did we ever catch the trail of those suckers and had a blast all day long reeling those babies in! We brought nearly a dozen of those big "Flukes" back to the dock! :headbang:
Rhode Island Trip (76)ed2.jpg

Me and Bill with 2 of the Biggest of the trip...
Rhode Island Trip (39a).jpg

.....but they were all right there in size...
Rhode Island Trip (72)ed.jpg

AND THE REST OF THE STORY...

Well, the next day we dug alittle more and then I had to say goodbye to those New Englanda friends of mine. :wink: ;D When I landed back in Virginia, the next day I figured I'd just enjoy the day back, maybe go dig a couple bullets and just enjoy the afternoon. I went to one of my bullet fields and I dug up a couple bullets, a .69 and a .44 Colt, then I figured I'd mosy on over to another site of mine down the street at a friends house where I'd dug alot of Civil War and War of 1812 relics in the past. I had been there about 20 minutes and had dug some can slaw, a big piece of copper pipe and was just going slow when I decided to try up closer towards the house. As I dropped the coil and started scanning I got another nice High 80's signal, I thought it was going to be another piece of Copper Pipe...:

The site where I dug this saw heavy activity both during the War of 1812 and the Civil War. It could've been broken or lost during the earlier 1800's or worn by a CS soldier and lost/broken during the Civil War.

Pre-War Militia Oval Belt Plate
Pre War Militia Belt Plate2.jpg

GROUP SHOTS

Rhode Island & Return Relics 039ed.jpg

****THANKS FOR LOOKIN :icon_thumleft:****

Attachments

• Rhode Island Trip edd.jpg
    Rhode Island Trip edd.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 2,388
  • Rhode Island Trip (12)ed.jpg
    Rhode Island Trip (12)ed.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 2,402
  • Rhode Island & Return Relics 047.jpg
    Rhode Island & Return Relics 047.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 2,354
  • Rhode Island Trip (26).jpg
    Rhode Island Trip (26).jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 2,331
  • Rhode Island Findsed2.jpg
    Rhode Island Findsed2.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 2,354
  • Rhode Island Trip (74).jpg
    Rhode Island Trip (74).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 2,323
  • Rhode Island Trip (76)ed2.jpg
    Rhode Island Trip (76)ed2.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 2,303
  • Rhode Island Trip (39a).jpg
    Rhode Island Trip (39a).jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 2,324
  • Rhode Island Trip (72)ed.jpg
    Rhode Island Trip (72)ed.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 2,285
  • Pre War Militia Belt Plate2.jpg
    Pre War Militia Belt Plate2.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 2,287
  • Rhode Island & Return Relics 039ed.jpg
    Rhode Island & Return Relics 039ed.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 2,263
  • Rhode Island & Return Relics 048.jpg
    Rhode Island & Return Relics 048.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 2,367
Upvote 0

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: RHODE ISLAND TRIP: Cellar Holes, Fishin' Poles, and a Surprise ending!

It doesn't get much better than that!!! Good deal :icon_thumright:

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000

What a Great Adventure ! Super Digs and Nice Flounder ! That's some good eating.

HH
FBB

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Now take those flounder you caught and stuff it with some crab from the backyard! Enjoy with 12 cold ones! Nice digs Josh! Super Cool Plate

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahhhhh, detecting and fishing. Does it get any better? ;D
Looks like a great time Josh. Congrats on the relics, and especially that buckle. :thumbsup:
Great post,
Dug

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

It really doesn't get any better than that Josh :thumbsup: You can't seem to get away from the CW no matter where you go.Sound's like you had a blast,especially with the "flukes".Thank's for sending those pic's to me again.See you soon buddy :icon_thumright:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Those are some great finds and it looks like you had a great time. Congrats on the buckle.
Dman

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Wow. That looks like a very nice trip Josh. I am glad you had a great time. I have seen some of Bill's videos on his cellar holes. They are awesome. And you came home to unwind. Man I wish I could unwind like that. Congrats on a great time and finds.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice post! I detected with Bill and John in Colchester England, we had a great time. HH, Mike

U

umrgolf

Nice finds + Huge flounder .. good stuff guys :icon_thumleft:

Seabiscuit

Jan 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
F-75, CZ-20, Troy Shadow

metal detecting and fishing I love it!
nice finds there Josh
Seabiscuit

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

You had a great trip Josh. Good finds, good friends, good fishing, and returned home to find a nice plate to boot. In VA, it's no place like home. You just never know what period of history will be discovered there. HH, Q.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jamesbibb said:
Now take those flounder you caught and stuff it with some crab from the backyard! Enjoy with 12 cold ones! Nice digs Josh! Super Cool Plate

Oh we had a filleting party as soon as we got back to the house that night! :o LOL :D

ModernMiner said:
Ahhhhh, detecting and fishing. Does it get any better? ;D
Looks like a great time Josh. Congrats on the relics, and especially that buckle. :thumbsup:
Great post,
Dug

Not much! :icon_thumleft: :D :wink: Thanks Doug it was a great time and nice to visit with friends also!

civilman1 said:
It really doesn't get any better than that Josh :thumbsup: You can't seem to get away from the CW no matter where you go.Sound's like you had a blast,especially with the "flukes".Thank's for sending those pic's to me again.See you soon buddy :icon_thumright:

Thanks Joe. I definitely had a great time up there in Rhode Island. They're pretty much just the Northern version of us. They love the outdoors and staying, fishing or detecting ;D

Dman said:
Those are some great finds and it looks like you had a great time. Congrats on the buckle.
Dman

Thanks Dman! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

treasurehound said:
Wow. That looks like a very nice trip Josh. I am glad you had a great time. I have seen some of Bill's videos on his cellar holes. They are awesome. And you came home to unwind. Man I wish I could unwind like that. Congrats on a great time and finds.

LOL, Randy that was a TOTAL surprise, I was thinking "You gotta be kidding". Yes Bill has some great videos. His new one is really good, we visited that same Cellar Hole when I was up there last weekend.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Perfect combination :icon_thumright:

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like ya had fun, Congrats on all the finds :icon_thumleft:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As JB mentioned , he has the same recipe :) Those doormat filets sure are tasty stuffed with crabmeat and smothered in butter and broiled and of course washed down with some cold brews :occasion14: TAPS was recently here in Cape May at an old inn ...they have recorded sounds of drunks in the bar room :o imagine that :-\ , a skeleton walked up to the bar and asked the bartender for two beers and a mop ::) not sure if it's on tape :laughing7: got to love New England hospitality and KG coppers and dunkin' donuts too . Great road trip and your finds from Rhode Island and back in VA are :thumbsup: Dawg

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bavaria Mike said:
Nice post! I detected with Bill and John in Colchester England, we had a great time. HH, Mike

Mike, Bill actually mentioned that to me while I was up there diggin' with him. He said it was really fun and that y'all had a great time!

rtde3 said:
Good stuff all the way around Josh! :headbang:
Looks like you guys had a great time.
They do love Dunkin' Donuts up there, Heck Bill even had the shirt on! :D

Thanks Rob. Did you get my email? YEAH, THEY FREAKIN LOVE DUNKIN DONUTS!!!! LMAO, you're right, Bill's a character and he DOES have a DD shirt on. I think I remember even saying something to him about it. :laughing9:

umrgolf said:
Nice finds + Huge flounder .. good stuff guys :icon_thumleft:
Hey I know you, my diggin' partner exiled in Russia! :laughing9: :P :wink: Thanks Brutha, I harken back to our days going out diggin' all day finding the good stuff and then spending the afternoon or the whole next day enjoying some time on the Water doing some Bass Fishing. :occasion14: See you soon my friend :wink:

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009

Good fishing, good digs, good eats, excellent weather and a fantastic welcome home! What more could you ask for?

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Seabiscuit said:
metal detecting and fishing I love it!
nice finds there Josh
Seabiscuit

Thanks Bud, and I'm in total agreement with you! :occasion14:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VOL1266-X said:
You had a great trip Josh. Good finds, good friends, good fishing, and returned home to find a nice plate to boot. In VA, it's no place like home. You just never know what period of history will be discovered there. HH, Q.

LOL, I thought I was Dorothy there for a minute! :laughing9: Thanks Quindy :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread