Ride em cowboy!

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
This isn't what you said. Your original post said that the hat style was a "fad." It wasn't. It was around for a very, very long time, long before LBJ came around. You said "that hat might have been a 'fad.'" But the hat was around for a long time before LBJ, so the hat was not a fad.

However, the buyer may have felt he was buying a hat similar to LBJ's, I agree that this is at least possible. Though LBJ's had a smaller brim than that one. But the truth is, that hat was a very, very popular style for men to use in a somewhat casual setting but to still denote a "city hat" as opposed to a full blown cowboy hat. For instance, if you look closely, you'll see this style in thousands of movies from the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s.

You have misinterpreted what I was saying. I guess you can nit pick all you want. I know what I meant and others did also. I don't doubt you that it was a popular hat for a long time, but I am also willing to bet that at the time of LBJ and the country was feeling lost from the loss of Kennedy, that some men who never would have otherwise bought a cowboy hat did in fact do so. Thank you again for your knowledge.

T.

Fedoracentric

Greenie
Dec 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have misinterpreted what I was saying.
It helped that you were unclear. But you are very right that there was a short time between about 1963 and 1965 when some men bought the Stetson Open Road-style hat because LBJ wore it (and a lot of hat makers made the style, it wasn't just Stetson). The trend didn't last long because LBJ quickly became a rather despised president, so much so that he smartly decided not to run for election in 1968. Of course, LBJ's brand was the Resistol not the Stetson and he wore a 2-1/4 inch brim not the 2-1/2 or 2-3/4 inch brim that was more popular on the Stetson model.

I actually own one of the hats LBJ gave away in the White House when he was president.

Here it is...

Resistol_LBJ.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I have one more question for you, Fedora. There are markings on the inner band that appear to indicate the shop that sold the hat. I can't recall the name off the top of my head but "Houston" appears under the name so I assume the shop was in Houston, Texas. I would be surprised if it did, but does it make any difference where the hat was originally purchased?

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
You have misinterpreted what I was saying. I guess you can nit pick all you want. I know what I meant and others did also. I don't doubt you that it was a popular hat for a long time, but I am also willing to bet that at the time of LBJ and the country was feeling lost from the loss of Kennedy, that some men who never would have otherwise bought a cowboy hat did in fact do so. Thank you again for your knowledge.

T.

Experts in a field are much more precise with their language than we mortals are. I collect Olympic pins, so the difference between a pin, button, and badge are quite precise. I don't expect other people to know the difference, but many experts will expect it, especially when you call their specialty a "fad" because of some important related historic event. I would say it had a surge of popularity when LBJ became president (and probably dropped as the Vietnam War became more and more unpopular).

Fedoracentric

Greenie
Dec 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one more question for you, Fedora. There are markings on the inner band that appear to indicate the shop that sold the hat. I can't recall the name off the top of my head but "Houston" appears under the name so I assume the shop was in Houston, Texas. I would be surprised if it did, but does it make any difference where the hat was originally purchased?

I have never seen a store imprint bring too much interest. Though Morris Men's shop in Chicago was one of the last original "cowboy outfitters" in the midwest. It was the end of the line for many cattle drives in the old days and some cowboys and cattle sellers would buy news hats with their wages when they got to Chicago. Still, not many collectors I've ever seen mention much about where the hat was sold.

Once in a while you will see an older (1870s to 1900) cowboy hat sold with note to the store imprint--especially if the store was once a well-known cowboy outfitter.

But, not many are interested in the store imprints. It is the model information that is of more interest. Not all hats even have a store imprint, either.

Fedoracentric

Greenie
Dec 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Experts in a field are much more precise with their language than we mortals are. I collect Olympic pins, so the difference between a pin, button, and badge are quite precise. I don't expect other people to know the difference, but many experts will expect it, especially when you call their specialty a "fad" because of some important related historic event. I would say it had a surge of popularity when LBJ became president (and probably dropped as the Vietnam War became more and more unpopular).

Exactly right. I did bristle a bit when I saw the hat style that had been made for over 100 years called "a fad."

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The car is a modern repro. I've seen too many of them for them to be real antiques, and they're always in fine condition.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are all quite welcome. I am available for any hat questions. I won't be able to answer them all (no one can, sadly) but I have been at this for a while and have a lot of resources.
Since I know virtually nothing about hats, what can you tell me about this one? It's a little dusty from being in storage for the last several years. I do have the box but it's in rough shape so I didn't take a pic. Just a light brown oval shaped box with a silver label that says London in maroon colored print, with hat sizes at the bottom and boxes to be checked for the appropriate size. Thoughts?

DSC09427.jpg DSC09428.jpg

Fedoracentric

Greenie
Dec 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is called a stingy brim (and in that case an ultra stingy) because it is under 2-1/4 inches. It's a house brand (meaning not sold by one of the big companies, but made for a local chain or store). It was likely made in the late 1960s or early 70s. Probably sold for under $20 originally. Collectors go ga ga for hats with 2-1/2 inch brims or more. Ultra stingies, not so much.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is called a stingy brim (and in that case an ultra stingy) because it is under 2-1/4 inches. It's a house brand (meaning not sold by one of the big companies, but made for a local chain or store). It was likely made in the late 1960s or early 70s. Probably sold for under $20 originally. Collectors go ga ga for hats with 2-1/2 inch brims or more. Ultra stingies, not so much.
Thanks, I wasn't sure whether I should have sold it yesterday at my garage sale. Now I know I should have. One more thing to go to the thrift store.

Fedoracentric

Greenie
Dec 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy to help.

In general any hat made after 1960 is not too tempting to a fedora collector. Brims under 2-3/8 also not so interesting (stingy brims are a dime a dozen out there). 100% wool fedoras not of interest. For foreign makers, usually only Italy's Borsolino and German Maysers and Wegeners are of interest with the Borsos being more favored than the Germans. Stetsons held in highest esteem but Knox, Disney (not the "Walt" kind) and Cavanagh, and to a lesser extent Marathon (which is also JC Pennys) Dobbs, Lee and several others are also worthy hats.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. I saw a nice new stetson fedora yesterday. It was 7 1/8. In box they wanted $50. Remembering you, I passed. Nice pass.

Fedoracentric

Greenie
Dec 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I saw a nice new stetson fedora yesterday. It was 7 1/8. In box they wanted $50. Remembering you, I passed. Nice pass.

Depends on the Stetson. Pre-1960, larger size, larger brim, could be good. Otherwise. No.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Fedoracentric:

Thank you for your posts...they are very interesting!

I've been in the buying and selling business for years, and have only had a few men's hats. You don't see them in estates in our area, at least not any more. The ones that I've seen are typically hats that were poorly stored or have some type of damage.

BTW, it seemed like, at least for a short while, that the hipsters were buying and wearing the ultra stingy fedoras. Thoughts?

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Fedora - is it true that JFK walking bare-headed down Pennsylvania Avenue at his inauguration devastated the hat industry? I grew up three blocks fro the Resistol plant and seem to remember a letter being published from the pres or veep of Resistol to the President basically stating, "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread