Right after recovering a "find"

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
Right after recovering a "find"

....what do you do? Say it's a dirty & unreadable coin, do you try & ID it on the spot, or do you put it in whatever you carry your finds in & ID it later once you get home or even back to the vehicle?

I usually just put it in my pouch & ID it at home. Most of the few tokens I've found I thought were quarters before I cleaned them up at home. Terri (Echostar61) has a good idea she brings a container of baby wipes so she can clean-off something for a better ID. They work good....I've borrowed a few from her ;D

Smitty

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Re: Right after recovering a "find"

Never had a coin find I couldn't identify, but as long as it's a keeper and small (Silver, a ring, etc), they go straight into my box of cigarettes. Everything else including junk goes into the pouch.

echostar61

Jul 22, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter,Prizim II

I have to clean anything I think is a good find right away,I never could wait ;D.
Terri

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts

i keep a tic-tac box with ripped up paper towels in it,, ;D everything good gets wrapped up and stays safe... for the bigger items i keep 2 whole paper towels to wrap stuff up in.. if i was to let something get ruined i would be very upset with myself....

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

My hunt time is precious so I hardly ever examine my finds in the field, in the pouch they go to be looked at after cleaning up at home. Some exeptions would be the really great finds ($2.50 gold coin, diamond rings, etc) that take your breath away. I usually have to sit down for a few minutes after those finds ;D

Happy holidays Smitty!!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007

One piece imparticular I recall ws the "Loyal Insurance Agency" piece I'd found. I thought it was a piece of "junk", or a "tag" for a telephone pole. I didn't know what it even said until I cleaned it up at home.

I used coins as an example, but pretty much ment anything that was recovered. I'm sure if I found something "odd" (that I couldn't ID as a coin, token, ring, etc) I'd have to take a minute to try & atleast ID it. I am human after all ;D

Happy Holidays & HH to you too BDoo, and everyone else.

Terri...lol, I know you do so you can walk over & rub it in my face :P

Smitty

999slvrfx

Nov 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/sunray probe,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I carry a water bottle and a small nylon brush to clean the real dirty stuff.
If its something good I spend a little more time hunting that area.
The rest of my finds go in my pouch to be cleaned later.
The good stuff goes in my pants pocket so I don't lose it.

Chitlin

Dec 7, 2007
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As a kid I used to hoard my christmas presents under a chair while the others tore into theirs, so I would have the anticipation of opening them later.... same with havin kids... once I knew it was in the pocket, I wanted to wait for the suprise....

All trash goes into the big compartment of an old camera bag I wear... all cool stuff goes in the front compartment... coins and buttons go in my pockets. Most buttons I'll have to google anyway so I just wait till I get home or back to the truck....my buddy has a bad habit of chucking trash back on the ground for me to find later...

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If it's a rusted relic caked with dirt, I'll try to remove as much crud as possible (cuts down on the weight of the finds you carry around) :D

If it's a coin and I can't read what it is after I pull it out of the ground, I just put it the side-pocket of my satchel with some tissue. Since I've started detecting, it's always been a downer for me to leave a good hunting site so I always try to have something of mystery that I can look forward to cleaning up when I get home ;)

Note to self: Make sure bathroom sink is SPOTLESS after cleaning finds. . . and, DO NOT use bathroom towels to dry finds. (Wife = >:()

Chitlin

Dec 7, 2007
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

...Funny you mention the towels, something we all go through I rekon..... this is from yesterday... needless to say, I won't make that mistake again ::)

Attachments

• tsktsk.JPG
    tsktsk.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 368

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I usually spit on my towel and wipe it off enough to ID what it is.
-MM-

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

I hate to say this ...but I spit on it too...wipe it on whatever hoody shirt I am wearing and spit on it again :D Then I usually call one of the girls and say " Can you read the date on here?" :D

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007

I've spit on a few myself......but that kinda limits 2nd opinions ;D

Smitty

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All my Keepers go into a Pill bottle with Dish Water.
if something catches my Eye as Unusual
Or possable 18th. Century, I'll check it closer first
before slipping it in..
I do check Centuries on every coin I dig, but not full dates,
because of eye sight.

Items that Could be Damaged Easily, like
Gold Coins, delicate Jewelry,
etc. Would
go Directly to my Truck
and put in the ash tray or other place where nothing can
scratch or break it.

Ratman

Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I use a Pill bottle also for my good finds like silver coins and jewelry etc . My finds pouch has two big pockets one for trash the other for clads and common finds ..... ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread