Ring #2 and a sliver plated charm

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a great day at a schoolyard today with my husband. It was our first visit at this location and I finally found some jewelry! First I hit the area around the playground and found a nice silver plated charm in great condition. I found lots of dimes and pennies but only one quarter by the swings. I moved over by the bleachers and benches and got nothing. Found a few dimes in the gravel lot behind the baseball field. By this time it had been 3 1/2 hours and I was getting tired, hot, and thirsty. I contemplated walking to the truck for some water. But this strip of grass along the gravel entrance was calling to me. I told myself I will just do this one strip of grass then I'm going back to the truck for some water. So I made my way, noticing that I was walking alongside a batting net I remembered reading that those were good places for people to lose jewelry. As I was thinking this I decided I better get closer to the edge of the concrete pad, where kids might put their bags down. I hadn't gone 3 feet before that detector stared going crazy around 99. I went over it again and it had a familiar jump as I went overhead. I realized it sounded like when I tested my wedding band the other day, but I wasn't sold. It was enough to get my attention but I was sure it was just another can giving false signals. I had dug several today already. Well, I dug and dug. It was 6 to 8 inches deep under thick grass that had not been mowed for some time. To make matters worse, gravel was underneath and I was about to give up digging due to the rocks naking it difficult to dig. My wrist hurt but I kept saying to myself, " what if it isn't a can?" Well I stopped digging and checked the hole with my pro pointer. Nothing. So I checked the dirt and rocks I had pulled out and got a beep. I was looking for a coin in my mind since that is all I've ever found. When it turned over in the dirt and I saw thosee letters on it I was beside myself!! I hollered at my husband to stop and get over there so I could show him. No one was around and I was jumping up and down and waving to him. Haha. It was a great feeling. Now I am so glad I decided to check that last strip of grass! After researching, we found out it is a Greater Midwest Baseball Champion Ring. I don't think it is gold because I can't find any marking on it. But the sucker is big and heavy....and it's a RING!! My first REAL ring. My first ring was a fake and probably out of a machine. I am truly addicted now !!! Thanks for reading my long post and HH everyone. Oh, I might add I think I nicked it with my lesche.....ugh.
20160703_125612.jpg 20160703_125617.jpg 20160703_125657.jpg 20160703_125757.jpg 20160703_125355.jpg 20160703_125330.jpg 20160703_125344.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 14

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your bodacious ring - coins & charm finds, one fantastic haul & a great 4th of July weekend finds. Anyway thank you for posting & I wish you many more great finds while out dirt fishin.

Texas ED

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, wow and wow!!...what a gorgeous piece! KDQ...I found MY first ring being basically done for the day, and was making a bee-line for the car, across a field I'd been working and of course swinging my ATP...DING DING....solid 85...quarter signal but no 85-87 bounce, solid 85..and popped out my first ring, a little silver beauty! That sure made the ride home much more enjoyable. Great score KDQ! Thanks for posting, keep up the great work..ddf

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the beautiful ring! :occasion14:

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Greetings from LaRue County,your ring held up very well for being that deep,I think it is most likely silver or gold as I see no rust or decay. There is somewhere north of a million great places to hunt here in Ky.,hope you find some of the good ones.

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings from LaRue County,your ring held up very well for being that deep,I think it is most likely silver or gold as I see no rust or decay. There is somewhere north of a million great places to hunt here in Ky.,hope you find some of the good ones.
Thanks Shootist. I believe it may be gold plated. Nit sure but you can see another metal underneath where I nicked it. It also has some wear on the underside from being worn and the sheen from the gold plating looks worn off. That is just my best guess anyway.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ALWAYS listen to that little inner voice you'll hear on occasion while detecting. I've found many a surprise by doing that.
Some may call it intuition. Not sure, but it usually pays off for me. :icon_thumright:

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story........don't mind reading about your adventure and excitement at all. That type of post "personalizes" the hunt and discovery (for me) and is entertaining.
Huge congratulations on your first (real?) ring and I hope many more follow........(where is that emoticon that jumps up and down?).
Looks like you and your hubby had a fireworks kind of outing.........and celebrated Independence Day weekend with some kinda pizzazz...........:occasion14:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Shootist. I believe it may be gold plated. Nit sure but you can see another metal underneath where I nicked it. It also has some wear on the underside from being worn and the sheen from the gold plating looks worn off. That is just my best guess anyway.

My initial reaction to reading the high numbers on the ring was "Silver"
It is becoming more and more common to put gold plating over silver. They usually have some kind of gold plating marking such as 14kt GP.
My experience with recovering gold rings with the
AT PRO has always been a low number reading. One 18 kt ring read 51. 51-52 is a nickel reading. 14kt came in at 63 & 65. Some fellow hunters have posted finding thin gold rings registering in the mid 40's. A silver ring has alway come in at 83 or higher for me.
You had a great hunt and I predict you will be swinging a coil for a long time.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations and way to be tenacious on your dig. It payed off very nicely. A great start to your bling collection. Sub 8-)

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My initial reaction to reading the high numbers on the ring was "Silver"
It is becoming more and more common to put gold plating over silver. They usually have some kind of gold plating marking such as 14kt GP.
My experience with recovering gold rings with the
AT PRO has always been a low number reading. One 18 kt ring read 51. 51-52 is a nickel reading. 14kt came in at 63 & 65. Some fellow hunters have posted finding thin gold rings registering in the mid 40's. A silver ring has alway come in at 83 or higher for me.
You had a great hunt and I predict you will be swinging a coil for a long time.

Yes, it was bouncing around from 99 to 83 or so. So I just decided I wanted to find out what it was due to the high reading. Thanks for the info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread