Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ring #27 - This One's A Little Better!

Hi all,

After yesterday's tornadoes/rain/wind/whatever, I went out at 7:30 this morning under mostly cloudy conditions..a bit of rain speckled the windshield as I headed out to some of the same schools I've been visiting all year long.

By the time I began hunting however, the clouds parted and it's been sunny, hot and humid ever since! I cleaned up what little there was at the first 2 schools, then headed for school #3, the same school where I clinched the $1000 mark a few weeks ago.

This school has a HUGE wood chip playground and I never get tired of checking it, even though as of late the pickings are very slim..

I was only there for a few minutes when I swept the coil over by one of the play structures. I thought I saw something shiney that was half covered up and swung my coil over it almost at the same time..it rang out and I reached down to grab ring #27, which sparkled and gleamed in the hot morning sunshine! :icon_sunny:

Of course I left my eagle eyes at home in their case, so I couldn't read the hallmark. After checking the rest of the entire area (and not finding anything) I checked another school, then swung for awhile at my old high school. While I was there I realized it was just too hot and I was getting sluggish, so I headed home. I got out my eagle eyes AND a magnifyer, hoping for the best. I can't say I was elated but I wasn't disappointed either! The ring was marked 925, and it appears to have gold overlay or plating. The stones are absolutely stunning, but I have no idea if they're the "Real McCoy".

RIG1.jpg

My other finds are in the pic below, a heart pendant with stones, a couple of zippers, a token and 2 bucks worth of clad coinage. Not a bad little morning hunt!

RIG2.jpg

If you like hunting school playgrounds, I strongly urge you to keep checking them periodically..this ring was a recent loss and wasn't there the last time I checked that area.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Nat

Upvote 0

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Re: Ring #27 - This One's A Little Better!

If you like hunting school playgrounds, I strongly urge you to keep checking them periodically..

I used to love hunting schools, Nat, but due to widespread vandalism/graffiti, all of my schools are fenced up with no trespassing signs. :'( I'm really bummed about this. Only time they're opened is during school hours, and seasonal kid's weekend sporting events(soccer/baseball). At that time, though, they are too crowded to detect. And I know some old schoolyards, that if I could only get in their fields with my machine, I know I would make a killing.

Congrats on #27. Interesting that a ring would be gold plated over beautiful silver. :icon_scratch: There will never be a shortage of jewelry in the playgrounds. They always gets replenished.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

jsu

Nov 29, 2007
NE Georgia
Detector(s) used
EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT

Gotta love that silver, and gas money. Gotta hate that humidity.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WTG NAT :thumbsup: :thumbsup: your on a roll man... Our schools here are still in session, sometime in the middle of june school is out.. so then the fields are a go ahead for me.. but man your on a killer roll very pretty ring too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's one of your prettiest rings yet Nat :thumbsup: Keep on diggin' bro :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Captn_SE said:
I used to love hunting schools, Nat, but due to widespread vandalism/graffiti, all of my schools are fenced up with no trespassing signs. :'( I'm really bummed about this. Only time they're opened is during school hours, and seasonal kid's weekend sporting events(soccer/baseball). At that time, though, they are too crowded to detect. And I know some old schoolyards, that if I could only get in their fields with my machine, I know I would make a killing.
HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

That's really too bad Dan..we don't have enough vandalism (yet) that they're fencing in schoolyards, but I have seen other districts not far from me that are. There's so many public schools here and I never see anyone else around. I've found so many public schools and sports parks in the last year and I could swear they've never had a coil sweep over them, so I'll admit I'm very lucky to have access to them. Today though a new sign at one school was nailed to a large oak tree near the playground area, stating "School Grounds Closed During And After School Is In Session" and stated those "not in authority" would be prosecuted. I took that as a warning and left. Sign of the times I guess. I've been there many times before and there's never much else but clad there anyway. All the sports parks in my area (including the one I played at in little league) are still also fair game, but I like checking them during the off-season when they're not in use. Maybe someday they'll stop people like me from MDing there, but I hope that someday is many years away.

Nat

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

That is a pretty ring! I wish I had found that token. It's good for some quality time.

You might want to approach someone from the school district & seek permission to hunt on the grounds that the sign is posted at. If they say OK, then you are there with authority & all is well. Showing them how much hazardous stuff you pull out of there might help sell them. They probably put the sign up for a reason, and people MD'ing most likely wasn't it. Probably kids hanging out & damaging things.

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

kimsdad said:
They probably put the sign up for a reason, and people MD'ing most likely wasn't it. Probably kids hanging out & damaging things.

I agree, and working for a neighboring district this past year (gone through police record check, etc.) should be a plus.

Nat

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

man thats a beautiful ring and excellent finds all around ! WTG and congrats :thumbsup:

I_Dig_NYC

Jan 25, 2008
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II

SSWWEEEEEETT ring Natman :thumbsup:
Good work as always :coffee2:

Harry

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

Sweet ring Nat, congrats. I too love those tot lots!

P

Pentico

Awesome find for ring #27!!!!!!!
You rock on Natman!

Denver Nugget

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

WTG Nattie! Been a while since I last checked in. I see that you are still hard at it. Congrats on the gorgeous ring. :thumbsup:
I'm with ya on the feeling sluggish in the heat. My silly butt went out yesterday in 100 plus temps, and almost passed out with heat exhaustion! I wasn't even sweating...not a good sign. Our schools have closed for the summer, so I think I'm done for the season unless I hunt a park in cooler temps!

Keep up the great work.....I always love reading your posts!
Moon

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro

Ahhhh your #27 and my #0. You have such better luck. Congrats on a really nice find! :thumbsup:

L

lovedigging

Way to go Nat , Great Find...:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Moonshadow said:
WTG Nattie! Been a while since I last checked in. I see that you are still hard at it. Congrats on the gorgeous ring. :thumbsup:
I'm with ya on the feeling sluggish in the heat. My silly butt went out yesterday in 100 plus temps, and almost passed out with heat exhaustion! I wasn't even sweating...not a good sign. Our schools have closed for the summer, so I think I'm done for the season unless I hunt a park in cooler temps!

Keep up the great work.....I always love reading your posts!
Moon

Hey Moon! Long time no hear from! Glad you're still around. Not good about almost passing out, it's hard to quit when you enjoy what you're doing so much, but eventually your body knows when to tell your brain enough is enough! I know what you mean about enjoying the cooler weather - the conditions were quite harsh for this time of year - it was 94 here today and it's not even officially summer yet.

Thank you evryone for your comments and be careful out there!
:wave:

HH,
Nat

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A great hunt Nat :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
That ring is sweet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread