Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hanging and swimming a bit with my son down at the river (which is more like a VERY wide stream with nice deep holes here and there) and started swinging the Tracker IV for maybe, 4 minutes just showing my son the basics of how it works. I got a solid hit and looked down to see a ring on top of the ground about 3/4 buried in the sand. My heart almost skipped a beat or two 'cause it looked like gold at first glance.

Well, it's not gold but it's real shiny fake gold and even has fake "diamonds". I'm saying it still counts even though I didn't actually have to dig it up because if not for the detector, I definitely would not have found it.

Again, I cannot yet post pictures but this one's not too much to look at anyway (once you take a closer look anyway).

So, does it still count as ring #4??

Upvote 6

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
post a pic anyways, we wont poo-poo it, cmon man show us!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it even counts if you just see it lying on top of the ground and you didnt go over it with the coil. Your looking at the ground swinging, so a find is a find.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't post photos until I get a better phone or get my camera set up. Honestly, I've been spending all of my spare time hunting and just haven't gotten around to it. I LOVE the summer and I spend as much time outdoors as I possibly can because it goes by so fast. I don't wanna' miss it.

I'll get set up and take a bunch of pictures of my finds soon. Maybe I'll get my son to do it for me. He posts pictures every day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's the way I see it as well. I was treasure hunting and found treasure.

My son was excited too and that made it all the better despite the fact it was fake. I've been talking about my new MD'ing addiction a great deal lately and he got to actually see what all the fuss is about in real time.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
a ring find is a ring find. I am looking for #13

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great_find.gif
Nice! Thanks for sharing...

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, its a find all-right! I am not organized enough to keep track of what my ring count is , maybe that is sad but I am not caring that much, that would make it too much like work !

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey a ring is a ring! There have been some real heart stopper fakes! Might as well show us yours we've all been there!
My detector even calls a pull tab a ring so if it's an actual ring it counts as ring #4!

I was told to click on the picture icon, 3rd in from the far right on the tool bar, and follow my nose.
I'm working from an iPad mini. GL. HH!

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I count everything I find when I'm out with the detector as a find. I found a little gold necklace laying on top of the grass next to a volley ball court about a month ago. I was walking past the court to get to the bleachers and was going to hunt from the bleachers to the food stand.

PS: Some of my best days are being able to detect with my son. (His life schedule doesn't allow for much dirt time.)

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My phone is so old and so lousy it requires extra software to upload photos. It also costs around 12 bucks.

I'll break out my digital camera when I get a bit of time and start posting some pictures but right now, I'm going swimming. I may even hit the tot lot near the pool and see what I can dig up (no pun intended).

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I count everything I find when I'm out with the detector as a find. I found a little gold necklace laying on top of the grass next to a volley ball court about a month ago. I was walking past the court to get to the bleachers and was going to hunt from the bleachers to the food stand.

PS: Some of my best days are being able to detect with my son. (His life schedule doesn't allow for much dirt time.)

My youngest son recently turned 18. I consider myself very fortunate that he still likes to hang out (when he's not hanging out with his girls, which is very frequent) and swim, fish and now, metal detect. I'll have to get a back up detector for him soon if he stays interested.

He even dug a beer can from the river bottom last night despite the fact I told him it was likely trash. That's determination. It was about a foot down.

BugsyDiggs

Aug 13, 2013
Nice!! My first 8 rings for the year were all fake and I like them all. Nothing like pulling one. Even a fake :)

Get the t- net app for your I pad it's great and pics work fine:)

Happy hunting:)

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice!! My first 8 rings for the year were all fake and I like them all. Nothing like pulling one. Even a fake :)

Get the t- net app for your I pad it's great and pics work fine:)

Happy hunting:)

I'm getting a little collection of costume jewelry going and I like em' too. The fact that no one even thinks that they're underfoot and then I can come along, locate and recover them is cool regardless of their value.

I also don't own an I Pad or I phone. As mentioned above, my phone is non-smart, old and cheap. It takes good pictures but I can't upload them without an upgrade. Other than that I can receive and make calls and texts, store numbers and check the time. I love my computers (especially my laptop; it's practically an appendage) but I'm just not into phones or tablets (yet).

I'll get a smart phone one day but frankly, it's not a priority. I'll probably get a better metal detector before I get a better phone.

Last edited:

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It counts for sure ! Show us a picture ! A ring is a ring , congrats !
Glen

thommo59

Mar 6, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any ring is a winner!

Top Member Reactions