Ring (gold) huntin...

FisherMan_1266X

Feb 18, 2008
Ring (gold) huntin'...

Hi folks... no, I'm not dead... just life interfering with my detecting as usual...

I did make it out last weekend on Sunday for about 6 hrs... hunted 5 sand volleyball courts, and about 1/4 of the area of 1 soccer field at my old standby park... no gold, but I did manage a lil' sterling band and about $6 in clad...

But, what I want to ask is - with my machine (Fisher 1266-X), what might be some pointers for gettin some gold..? Now, I understand that with my machine (or any machine for that matter) gold is more difficult to find and one must dig more items, but considering it's still almost a Benjamin outside, and that in just a short period of time I dug almost 200 pull-tabs and other assorted junk, what can I do to up my gold finds besides merely diggin every target?

Mind y'all, this place sees hundreds of thousands of folks every year, and I have found good jewelry there in the past, so I know it's there... it's just that I literally cannot take a step without getting at least 2-3 signals, mostly which are pull tabs.

Your insight is greatly appreciated, my friends..

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Ring (gold) huntin'...

You might as well be asking the Colonel about the 11 herbs and spices! From my questions I have posed during the time I've been on here, people dummy up faster than you can blink when you ask them how do you find it or where do you find it. You might as well read the manual for the 501st time. They are a friendly bunch until you ask them their tricks or spots and then it gets awfully quiet. I suppose it's like this: You pay your dues for years and years and nobody helps you, then you work it out and start hitting a "poster" every other beep, so you just let the cats coming along after you do it their dang self. I ain't whinning, I'm just stating facts. That's why I've pretty much quit asking anything more than "How's the weather?" on here. :wink:

HH,
Ramapirate

FutureProspect784

Sep 22, 2007
Prince Edward Island
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 'somethingorother'.

FisherMan,

The problem with rings, gold rings, is that they register virtually the same as pulltabs, which I'm sure you've realized by now. The only way you might be able to distinguish between the two is if you can achieve the 'double beep', which occurs when the detector passes over both sides of a ring. The only problem with this is that a ring could be on its side instead of lying flat, which means you won't get that double beep.

Your best bet is to just keep digging those signals. It may be frustrating, but you're bound to be rewarded at some point.

OP
OP
FisherMan_1266X

FisherMan_1266X

Feb 18, 2008

I'm not really sure I understand any of that... but, ok, I guess...? ???

Ramapirate said:
You might as well be asking the Colonel about the 11 herbs and spices! From my questions I have posed during the time I've been on here, people dummy up faster than you can blink when you ask them how do you find it or where do you find it. You might as well read the manual for the 501st time. They are a friendly bunch until you ask them their tricks or spots and then it gets awfully quiet. I suppose it's like this: You pay your dues for years and years and nobody helps you, then you work it out and start hitting a "poster" every other beep, so you just let the cats coming along after you do it their dang self. I ain't whinning, I'm just stating facts. That's why I've pretty much quit asking anything more than "How's the weather?" on here. :wink:

HH,
Ramapirate

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon

Ramapirate said:
From my questions I have posed during the time I've been on here, people dummy up faster than you can blink when you ask them how do you find it or where do you find it. They are a friendly bunch until you ask them their tricks or spots and then it gets awfully quiet.I'm just That's why I've pretty much quit asking anything more than "How's the weather?" on here. :wink:
Ramapirate

Hmmm, well I don't have any great secrets or insights to hide. I can't really think of any techniques that I use that are anything special or out of the ordinary. If time is a factor, I'm more fussy with what I decide to dig. If a site is really thick with iron junk(as old coal mining/logging sites can be around here) I may use the TR disc. mode.

As far as where to detect, old parks have been the best source of old silver coins and older jewelry and beaches for new jewelry and modern coins - no secret there.

Any old logging/mining camp sites are just found wandering around old trails, etc many of which are in parks today in this area - all public info.

I think you'll find that the amount of good finds that folks have in their collections is simply proportionate to the amount of time spent detecting.

Jay

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Trust me, there is no easy way to find gold..I hate digging pull tabs and I don't find much gold. I broke down last week and figured I would dig the pull tab range at the old high school. I picked up a small 10K ring and about 50 pull tabs. There just isn't many "tricks" other than digging the tabs...and for the double beep...the pull tab is shaped so much like a ring that you will most likely get it in both directions. Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

Listen guys I've been doing this for a very long time and I can tell you straight out there's no secrets. If you've read more than just a few threads around here you'll have by then learned nothing. The truth is that everything is so variable that there are no real secrets. Use the all metal mode and dig every repeatable signal. That's it, there is no more wisdom hidden away anywhere in the deep dark corridors of the old timers mind. What works for me today with this detector in this type of soil at this one location has absolutely no bearing on what will work for you tomorrow, in a different soil at a different location with your type of detector. Do you see my point. No one is hiding this info it's just that allot of us get tired of answering the same question. As for being helpful, you'd be hard pressed to find a larger more willing to help group of people anywhere else.

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,

Ditto to whats already been said. Lower the discrimination, when in doubt, dig it up. I'd practice with some air testing, promise the wife you'll give her her rings back and see where different size gold rings drop out as you increase the disc.. Also if your not going over gold, you won't find any either. So maybe you just didn't walk over a ring ;D The secret I hate to tell ya is digging alot of signals you wouldn't have dug before. Good Luck.

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry about that, I was in a poopy mood over something that had nothing whatsoever to do with MD'ing. And the anwers are right on the head, you have to dig pull tabs like you love them. I went on a group hunt over the weekend and was hunting close to the president of my club. He's like "If you swing closer to the ground and dig those pull tab signals you are more likely to hit something." I was going a little haphazzardly. I slowed it down got lower and dug everything and found my first large cent (an 1847 and really clean)! But I felt like a schmuck because it happened so close the time after he made the suggestion. We had a meeting last night and I didn't even put it in the best finds of the month. It would have won for single coin, I just felt weird, it was like he found it. I need to stop being hard headed and listen.

HH,
Ramapirate

T

The.Boomer

No problem Ram buddy that's what Friends are for. You guys can't give up. It's all a numbers game . MDdog knows what he's saying, there really is no secret. He taught me that if there is a secret it is to go where there should be good finds and then cross your fingers. There's no real rhyme nor reason to where you'll find stuff. Everywhere I look I find good stuff, but that's because I just keep beating on the same places till I find it. So that's my secret, every place has good finds. If yours doesn't it's because you haven't found it yet, so just keep looking.

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250

Pssst. Gold sniffing dog. (you didn't hear it from me) 8)

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
Radio Shack Discovery 2000

*insert random tip here* Sorry I have nothing to contribute.. I'm a newbie myself. :P

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Your best bet to avoid "200" aluminum targets in your quest to find gold jewelry, is to pick a better hunt spot. If you go to an inner-city blighted urban park, YES you will dig hundreds of aluminum items before you ever see a gold ring. Especially picnic area turf, where people are BBQ'ing, bringing their foil, cans, etc... Foil, tabs, can slaw, blah blah blah will be all over the place. And for the most part, turf like this is not condusive to gold jewelry losses, to begin with. Maybe some turf would be better than others, as far as condusiveness to jewelry losses. That would be soccer fields perhaps, but definately not picnic grass in blighted junky parks. The ratios in most turf is just too punishing, so people end up cranking the disc. and looking for old silver instead :)

If you want gold jewelry, go to where it's more prolific, ratio-wise, to begin with: SWIM BEACHES! Think about it: people frolicking in the water, in the horizontal position, splashing around, lathering up with slippery suntan lotion, jumping around playing volleyball, throwing frisbees. And here's my favorite: a lot of them take off their jewelry before their fun-play, for "safekeeping", and put it in their shoe, or on the edge of their beach blanket, etc... Doh! you can guess what happens next: junior comes over and knocks over the shoe, or dad comes over to shake the sand off the blanket, blah blah.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Tom_in_CA said:
Your best bet to avoid "200" aluminum targets in your quest to find gold jewelry, is to pick a better hunt spot. If you go to an inner-city blighted urban park, YES you will dig hundreds of aluminum items before you ever see a gold ring. Especially picnic area turf, where people are BBQ'ing, bringing their foil, cans, etc... Foil, tabs, can slaw, blah blah blah will be all over the place. And for the most part, turf like this is not condusive to gold jewelry losses, to begin with. Maybe some turf would be better than others, as far as condusiveness to jewelry losses. That would be soccer fields perhaps, but definately not picnic grass in blighted junky parks. The ratios in most turf is just too punishing, so people end up cranking the disc. and looking for old silver instead :)

If you want gold jewelry, go to where it's more prolific, ratio-wise, to begin with: SWIM BEACHES! Think about it: people frolicking in the water, in the horizontal position, splashing around, lathering up with slippery suntan lotion, jumping around playing volleyball, throwing frisbees. And here's my favorite: a lot of them take off their jewelry before their fun-play, for "safekeeping", and put it in their shoe, or on the edge of their beach blanket, etc... Doh! you can guess what happens next: junior comes over and knocks over the shoe, or dad comes over to shake the sand off the blanket, blah blah.
:thumbsup:
Excellent advise Tom!

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
Radio Shack Discovery 2000

What about lakes? Like fishing lakes... I wonder if i would just find lures, hooks and weights or if I'd actually find anything good. Theres 2 lakes very close to my house thats been around since the mid 1800's... I think I'll give them a shot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread