Coin Man Dan

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2013
Iowa
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,White's XLT,Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
P1270455.JPG Found this Ring today It has a hallmark of a crown-anchor-18-crown,so it should be 18 k right?But it looks to be plated,if it is plated there should be no hallmark.Anyone know where to find a hallmark database.What is a good way to clean all the crud off of it.Thanks for all your help.

Upvote 1

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like the crud you want to clean off is the base metal under the gold playing that used to be there. I've dug a few plated items and they look the same. I would say it was 18k plated.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I don't think it is solid gold. Was maybe 18k plated at some point. Some dug gold may be slightly discolored, but it never chips off.

OP
OP
C

Coin Man Dan

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2013
Iowa
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,White's XLT,Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Rob&Susan thought it was plated,but its looks like its older and the hallmarks should not be on a plated item.

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any ring is a good find.so feel good about that. Most 18K gold plate rings are stamped with the letters "HGE" which stands for "heavy gold electroplate"! I don't know that it would be hallmarked. Good job Dan!! Hang Tuff,stay with it,and good diggin' in the future!!!!!

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those sound to be pseudo German silver marks. Wouldn't be able to tell without close-up photo of the marks. While many things shouldn't be marked, "shouldn't" is not a word in many makers dictionary. While many places have strict laws against mismarking precious metals, it doesn't stop or deter many counterfeiters. I have a whole bag of marked "14K" pot metal.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen (and dug) a few things now that have been marked as something good but turned out to be plated. Seen it alot on silver. Says 925 but no mention of plating even though it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread