Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Suppose you were out hunting, and dug a 10K class ring, similar to the one in the photo, but just maybe not exactly the same ring. Also suppose, that you were able to ID the owner, without a doubt. However, during the ID process, you determined that he had a lengthy criminal record (including sex offender), and most likely has a warrant out for his arrest.

What do you do?

The guy is a scum bag, but does that mean you get to keep his ring?

Attachments

• IMG_20160507_112605_930-1.jpg
    IMG_20160507_112605_930-1.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 206
Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be honest...i would reluctantly give it back. The code i go by does not judge the original owner of the item but instead judges me.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm... I think it should be donated...

To me :P

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is a warrant out for his arrest, you do not want to meet him. Contact the police. If he is a sex offender in jail or out of jail after serving his time, then if you can locate him, please give him his ring back. No matter how bad the crime is or was, the crime, the ring is still his. If you cannot locate him, sell it, it is up to you to keep the money or give it away. I agree with # 23. We are not God. We should not judge.

Guster

Dec 8, 2015
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was probably listed on the offender registry, not a current felon.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The little guy on my left shoulder is telling me to locate the owner and punch him in the eye with his own ring......The smarter fellow on my right shoulder is saying melt it down and sell it for its weight.. he would never get it back.
Listen to your RIGHT shoulder.
Marvin

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I, personally, would send it to Coilypoo and let her choose

MikeyMinx

Apr 8, 2016
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HEY!!! Give Me Back My Ring !!!!!! j/k

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd keep that,huck it in scrap gold and never look back.If found in a park...even more reason to keep it.Karma brought it to you and you should never question karma or karma may run over your dogma

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I, personally, would send it to Coilypoo and let her choose
Jeff , you rascal. If I got ahold of him he wouldn't have anything left to commit his crimes with. In all honesty Tom, I would not return it to the scumbag but I would alert the police and see what they think you should do. Interestingly enough we have detected a place right across the street from a registered sex offender and we only found out he was by Googling the address because we were going to ask him if we could search his yard. We talked to him and he seemed like a really nice guy. Gave us the creeps when we found out. He has since moved.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand that the guy is probably a scumbag, especially if he has an active warrant out for his arrest. I will also say that probably 98 out of 100 sex offenders deserve the label. However, I will play the devil's advocate here and say that being labeled a sex offender doesn't necessarily mean someone committed an indecent sex act against another individual. There are other ways to end up with that stigma. Something as simple as getting caught urinating in public for one in certain states. For the ladies, flashing the ta-ta's can land you that title. Parents don't take photos of your toddlers in the bath tub, that could possibly get you labeled too. From Beach Sex to Public Urination: 9 Insane Things That Will Get You Labeled a Sex Offender | Alternet

As for the ring, do what your own heart tells you to do.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; As far as the God angle. I would not worry about it. This guy gave up ANY claim to God's forgiveness. I think from the Christian angle this guy has more to worry about than just his ring melting. PEACE:RONB :angry4:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While researching the owner of a found wallet, I discovered the person was in the local county jail. I decided to let the police handle that reunion. Who knows what kind of nut case you may run into. He may claim certain things are missing, and that you stole them. In the case of a ring, he might say "It's scratched" or "the stone is missing", or any number of other such nonsense. No use looking for trouble in my book. I don't want criminals to even know I'm alive, let alone my name and where to find me.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why I can't stand humanity. There is none left in the US or anywhere in this God Forsaken World. We judge on words. We don't know the story, we only know what we see in papers and news. We see his rap sheet and suddenly he is the most gruesome piece of crap out there. We all have past and with the way people judge from those past we can never have futures. Everyone on here knows or is a criminal. On paper for the world to see or something you haven't been caught for yet. I rant because I have made mistakes and it makes me mad that I have to be judged for the rest of my life for what happened 15 years ago.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why I can't stand humanity. There is none left in the US or anywhere in this God Forsaken World. We judge on words. We don't know the story, we only know what we see in papers and news. We see his rap sheet and suddenly he is the most gruesome piece of crap out there. We all have past and with the way people judge from those past we can never have futures. Everyone on here knows or is a criminal. On paper for the world to see or something you haven't been caught for yet. I rant because I have made mistakes and it makes me mad that I have to be judged for the rest of my life for what happened 15 years ago.

I know dozens of guys who were sex offenders from back in my high school days. It was quite common for 18+ year olds to date girls younger than 17. They are considered sex offenders nowadays. I usually dated older women including my 18 year old girlfriend when I was 15! She is a sex offender

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the OP stated that the ring "loser" had an extensive criminal record, why temp fate with meeting up with this guy? Forgiveness for a mistake is one thing, but, this goes a bit beyond that IMO.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've either got a Strange imagination, to dream up such a "What If"
or your stating the case as you Know it.

I would need more Info before Deciding. as is ,
I personally would not help the cops. But that's my opinion on what little info you gave. as said above "Sex offender" has such a Wide range. Including Lies for Revenge. & embarrassment of the truth.
if 2 15 year olds have sex. the last ones parents to complain is the offender :(
these days Receive a Photo on your Cell Phone & keep it.
but don't share it with the cops to ogle over & you can be charged .

and the fact, nark/snitch is not something I want on my Resume .
for me, personal knowledge of him would be needed .
if he is in jail, he probably won't be allowed to have it, so I would first need to know exact
details before contacting him with the probability of selling it and putting money in his jail account.
if that can be done.
if he's in hiding I would need particulars on obvious or suspected guilt, before trying to
find him through underground channels. or considering the ring found treasure.

Last edited:

veemaxx

Dec 22, 2015
Raymond, Ne
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, BH Tracker 4, XP Deus, (CTX 3030 sold due to elbow pain)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good karma to you if you return the ring, maybe even help change a mans soul by example. I'm as guilty as they come with a long long record and multiple felonies and misdemeanors I was convicted of and many more I got away with but was still able to change for the good. Do the right thing, it is about you and your ethics/principles.

Got to add, I just happened to find and return a ring today, it was a silver mother/daughter ring the daughter lost. It had been lost 8 months and I think the mother was more excited than her adult daughter.

Last edited:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You WERE speaking figuratively, right....?
During proper, legal id process, and find out that info,
I'd keep the ring long enough, just to sell it,
and give the money to some appropriate charity,
in your area.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread