Ring Returned to Owner - Clearwater Beach

Overkill Overkill

Feb 18, 2010
Hello all,

I was hunting on the shoreline at Clearwater Beach last Sunday, and I was talking with 2 bikini-clad women, one of whom said she lost her glasses in the water. So she gave me her phone # in case I found the glasses, but I never did.

Soon after, a lady and friends calmly walked up to me to ask if I could help their friend find her wedding ring. I obliged, and within 10 seconds of searching, I found the ring. (Of course, I had headphones on, and only I could hear the beep. So, I could have been dishonest and said, "Sorry, the ring's not here" and then come back later to get the ring (It looked like it had 4-6 little diamonds on it) for my greedy little self.) But as it turns out it was Mother's Day, so I felt good about my good deed. But in the future, I may charge $20 upfront for 30 minutes of searching.

Question: This lady's ring was in the dry sand, probably about 70 yards inland from the water. But it's still true, isn't it, that rings are usually lost and found in and around the water?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never charge anyone for an on the spot search for a missing ring that obviously meant so much to the lady. But if I was asked to come to a nonspecific site and search for an object I might ask for expenses at least and I certainly wouldn't turn down a reward. You have a conscience and that's what keeps an honest person honest. Nice work for you and good will for other detectorists. I was notified of a very expensive ring that was lost in an area with lots of foot traffic and a reward was offered. I phoned the loser to get a more specific location and the person said they hadn't found it, but was no longer offering the reward. I found out later that the lady had padded the insurance claim and had collected much more than the actual loss. She didn't want it found for obvious reasons. I figured someone else had already found it and kept it as it shouldn't have been too hard to find laying there on the ground in plain sight. Monty

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey! CONGRATS! Double "O" :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

You did Good! returning the ring .. didn't it feel great?

I think it's a bit tacky asking a fee to find something. It's a better reflection on our hobby to do it for free. Accepting a reward is OK but I know some won't even do that.

You should get a photo whenever you can.

HH Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding and returning the ring to the lady. :headbang:

If I am already there detecting and someone asks me to find something they lost I get all the details I can about the item and I'll search for free. I carry business cards with my phone number for them to call me later if I don't find it that day, but I might the next. Now if I have to travel to locate a lost item I charge $50.00 in advance to search and many times I just give the money back with the item. This keeps the trailer trash from having fun at your expense looking for something that isn't there. Its happened to me twice so I charge in advance now.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, think about the lady comming out of the water she is cold and all of the cool water shrinking the pores in her body then she reaches up to her face and wipes it off then shakes off her hands!!! opps this may be offensive to some!!

When she does this her ring flies off her hand into the dry sand or wet then someone who is walking buy steps on it !!!

now its lost Go and find it for Her!!

HH Chug

Damn im back!!

HH chug!!!!

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
Keeping something that you could return has only one advantage AND that is only short term . You will then know FOR SURE how much your soul is worth .My grandfather taught me that when I was very young and I believe he learned it from Hiram .

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well at least you found the ring. I'm not sure what your thought process about "possibly" being dishonest says about your personality... there's already another person I know in the area that's known for doing that kind of stuff, and many people think very little of him for it.

Bran <><

THingfool

Feb 7, 2009
NE Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark,1280-x,Cortes, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Returning the ring is the right thing to do. Asking for a fee is not. If offered a gratuity, you have the option of accepting or refusing. A picture is a satisfying reward for me. Just my opinion. HH all.

Ed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread