Rings and beeps

Of course it varies with what machine is being used. Small gold rings seem to give a softer signal. I have noticed that on land, bigger bands give a more spread out signal compared to a coin. Kinda like an aluminum screw cap. I have found gold rings that gave a choppy signal because the ring was split or broken. It is difficult to say anything about beaches, because I dig every non-ferrous signal regardless. I have hit gold many times after hunters left because I own one of the most sensitive machines (crank the sensitivity) and love to dig tiny, faint signals, especially in the shallow water. It's not all glory since I am picking up all the tiny pieces of foil too. At least you can fan foil, and if it floats, you know what it is.
Being a relic hunter, I will never miss a gold ring out in the field, because the signals will be similar to brass like flat buttons, badges, etc. At parks though, I think if you are digging up trash, you will most definitely hit gold.
You'll find one, hang in there! :thumbsup:
Dave.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Unfortunately, aluminum comes in all different shapes and sizes (foil globs, lawn-mower shrapnel, etc...) and gold rings come in all different shapes and sizes too. If anyone tells you they can tell the difference between gold and aluminum, based on sounds ("solid" "choppy" "smooth" "softer", etc...) then here's what to do: Quickly invite them out to the nearest inner-city-blighted-urban-ghetto park, and see how well they do. ;D

You can buck the odds by passing commonly recurring junk, in whatever zone you're in. For example, yes, some elongated shape aluminum shrapnel or foil rolled up things will give an elongated junky shape. But concisely shaped round aluminum WON'T give those tell-tale signals. So too might an elongated gold necklace or bracelet give a junky sound. So it just depends on the type place you are hunting, as to what your tolerance levels should be. For an eroded wet ocean beach, where mother nature has washed away all the light stuff, I would purposefully seek out all such low flitty conductors. But for an inner-city-blighted park, I bet 99.9999% of all such shallow stuff are going to be wriggly gum wrappers, paper clips, etc....

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Thanks Tom, I do dig junk but lately I have just been skipping it. I get tired of bending up and down so many times for can slaw and such.

Guess when I have a nice day and a nice spot, I will be digging a lot!!

Thanks everyone. I didn't know if I was missing something or not. I suppose I am at times well the opportunity to find something good anyway. :)

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Lafatlife
#1. I think One needs usally put a lot of time with a detector before ya realy understand what it is saying. ( :sign13: Kind of like being married)
#2. Head phones will make a differance. I have a set of Koss 9000 and a set of Black Widows that I use. The better head phones do help me seperate Nickles / pull tabs / rings and deside when to dig or not to dig. I found this ring today with Koss Headphones.

Attachments

• DSC02263 (Small).JPG
    DSC02263 (Small).JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 321
OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
extractor said:
Hi Lafatlife
#1. I think One needs usally put a lot of time with a detector before ya realy understand what it is saying. ( :sign13: Kind of like being married)
#2. Head phones will make a differance. I have a set of Koss 9000 and a set of Black Widows that I use. The better head phones do help me seperate Nickles / pull tabs / rings and deside when to dig or not to dig. I found this ring today with Koss Headphones.

What did it sound like?

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lafatlife said:
extractor said:
Hi Lafatlife
#1. I think One needs usally put a lot of time with a detector before ya really understand what it is saying. ( :sign13: Kind of like being married)
#2. Head phones will make a difference. I have a set of Koss 9000 and a set of Black Widows that I use. The better head phones do help me separate Nickles / pull tabs / rings and decide when to dig or not to dig. I found this ring today with Koss Headphones.

What did it sound like?

WOW , tough to explain , but I'll try. I can't describe the exact sound. Maybe it's similar to how a parrent can pick out whether there child is crying in a room full of crying kids. Or at some time in our lives most of us have played a xylophone,or seen one. All of the metal bars are made out of the same metal There isn't much difference in the size of the metal bars, but they surely make different sounds. Now lets say we could shrink the xylophone metal bars down to the size of a pull tab / nickel / and ring . But Also there is now a different types of metal in each one and different amounts of metal in each With cheap head phones all 3 targets sound the same. If you use high end headphones,(with some practice,) it is possable to hear the subtle differences between the targets a good % of the time. A nother thing to notice on Tnet ,the members who seem to consistently have great finds tend to be using better headphones. Relax the good targets will come.
HH Extractor

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
lafatlife, you ask "what did it sound like?" Well that's easy! It sounded like this: "beep -- beep --- beeeeep" etc... Just kidding - of course there's no way to describe sounds in print. It can't be done. It has to be heard. And even when you can hear an un-dug gold ring (assuming there was a way to know ahead of time that it was a gold ring), I gaurantee you that I can show you gold rings that don't sound that way, and aluminum junk targets that mimic that exact gold ring sound. If anyone tells you different, invite them out to the nearest inner city blighted park and see how well they do :)

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
This year,so far,I've dug 14 gold and probably 25 silver.Gold rings almost always appear on the lower end of the vdi scale in the range anywhere from -0 through +40.Small silver as in small charms and earrings also appear in this range.Unfortunately,so do pulltabs and can slaw and gum wrappers.Try as I may,I still can't tell with any certianty any distinguishable difference in the tones of the many varieties of pulltabs from the many varieties rings.Therefore, the only real solution is to dig all signals in this range.Most sites which are heavy in pulltabs are ignored by all but the hardest core detectorist and give newbies a clean slate to detect,especially sites which produce the older beavertail tabs.Remember, every time you remove a tab you open a new window to possible treasure!DBULL

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Pulled 4 "beaver tails" today from a park. Eventually I will find a gold ring. I have found 3 silver rings so far that is a good thing!! :)

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you keep at it, you WILL eventually find a gold ring. Schools, parks, around bleachers, beaches, soccer fields, dirt or grass parking lots.....if you detect these places enough you will, and it will be when you least expect it. :icon_sunny:

Rick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread