Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're standing here in Texas looking across the Rio Grande into Mexico. Near here on July 8th, Trooper Ben Johnson dropped 3 Apaches from their horses in a running fight. With his pistol. He was cited for bravery. Not really. All this happened in the movie 'Rio Grande', which was filmed in this area, along with a bunch of others. It's Utah on both sides of the river in real life, and the Colorado river doubles for the Rio Grande in movies.

Attachments

• riodepeliculas.JPG
    riodepeliculas.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 255

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool, RGINN! Here's a picture of the cowboy bunkhouse where "Uncle Ben" lived before becoming an actor. It was the Chapman-Barnard ranch.
Ben's dad was the foreman on the ranch, one of the biggest in Osage county, consisting of over 100,000 acres at one time.
Thanks for posting that picture!!
kind regards,
sandcreek

Attachments

• IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0620.JPG
    IMG_0620.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 213
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, sandcreek. A little more high tone bunkhouse than what he had to stay in in the movies! Ben Johnson was in a lot of movies filmed around Moab, Utah. I always liked him as an actor because since he was from Oklahoma he just seemed more believable to me I guess. We watched him and John Wayne again the other night in 'Rio Grande'. The movie background is good, but it doesn't begin to compare with being down in the canyonlands in real life.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Rginn what a pretty place, they never shot those movies where they were supposed to be. In "true Grit" wasn't that supposed to be in Indian Territory? Have you ever seen aspens in IT?

Sandcreek, wouldn't a movie shot up on the Barnard be something? Are there old cowboy ghosts around the ranch house? :wink:

ng

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
Rginn what a pretty place, they never shot those movies where they were supposed to be. In "true Grit" wasn't that supposed to be in Indian Territory? Have you ever seen aspens in IT?

Sandcreek, wouldn't a movie shot up on the Barnard be something? Are there old cowboy ghosts around the ranch house? :wink:
ng
Yes, naturegirl, I wish someone wood make a movie up here. Last year, Christian Bale was up here scouting for a movie :o, maybe he'll make a western or something!
No "old cowboy ghosts" at the bunkhouse that I know of! Just lots of good memories and history. If that old house could talk, the stories it would tell....
regards,
sandcreek

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread