Rip Current Detecting?

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All!

I have never detected & do not own a detector but I live in a condo with a view of the beach. (Wildwood, NJ)

I see people detecting & finding all year. I never see anyone in the water detecting. Last winter I saw multiple people dig in the same spot on the beach every day. Literally hundreds throughout the winter. One day it all ended someone found whatever it was.

This is a party town with many of the people coming from Philadelphia area and New York. All ages with a lot of party weekends and events throughout the season. Lots of drinking and clowning in the water. When the ocean is rough all the gold laden youngsters are body surfing with hangovers! There has to be a small fortune out there.

Back to my questions...

I can see rip currents when the ocean is rough. They suck out large volumes of sand. Treasures? The rips are usually in the same places.

Below are some pics of rip currents. Do you think there could be caches behind the sandbar? In the sandbar? The head? The neck?

If you could detect where there were rip currents where would you detect?

Worth Diving if required to get to the head when the ocean calms down?

Attachments

• riptide.gif
    riptide.gif
    12.7 KB · Views: 415
  • rip-currents.jpg
    rip-currents.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 756
  • rip-current.jpg
    rip-current.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 517
  • rip.jpg
    rip.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 3,234
Last edited:
Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Rip currents are out of the question, no matter where you are. It's like having a rope around your waist and being pulled by a car going 30 MPH...Best bet is to mark the location and get out there once the water has calmed (60 minutes before LT), advice, wear a manual inflate PFD also to be safe. One thing I have found, treasure can be any where out there...Best spot, my guess, the low spots........

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickmarch

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN - Yes of course when the ocean calms and the rips are gone. It wouldn't be possible while the rips are active. Those things are brutal!

I see that you have an infinium. It is the detector that I am looking at. Happy with it? Do you dive?

I prospect for gold when I can. Its a lot of work money & time! I'm getting older and lazy. The ocean looks like a gold mine to me! It's close, fun and it must be easier than prospecting. I have to give it a try!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Jersey, you want a excalibur first choice, sovereign second..PI's are out there, too much history of tearing stuff down and pushing it out... I would Highly recommend surfdiggers facebook page...Good Guy, Great hunter and info...if you have a front seat to all, and you have been watching..half of your battle is done, you know where these guys are digging, Just a few hunt the water there, Not sure why, but I know of one that hunts in the water and does very well. AC has so much history, I've always said, Great place to hunt, and a front row...you should kill the gold.......

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Joe and nick

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this post showing rip tides may save some life's and good info for others not familiar with them
good post.........

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted these rips "when they were safe to get at...always at low tides. The problem with hunting them is that as the tide/currents diminish the retreating water starts depositing a lot of sand in the feeders, neck, and head areas. It usually takes a few days for retreating weather to allow the tides/current to settle down enough to allow access to these areas, and a lot of the time the low tides aren't low enough for several days or more, by which time a lot of sand has been re-deposited. However, when the tides are low enough and you can safely get at it....the area surrounding the head is a good place to start.....I call those areas the "spillouts". A lot of stuff can get deposited and scattered about here.

And to add, most of the targets will be buried pretty deep.

Last edited:

Florida Sand Digger

Jun 16, 2009
Boca Raton, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX w/Bigfoot coil, BHID, SMPI
Last edited:

Carole Ann

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you "Florida Sand Digger" I ordered the book. I too live in Florida, I live on the Treasure Coast. I am trying to decide upon a metal detector (Beach & Water) to purchase. Have you any suggestions?

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be very careful in these rips, even when they appear mild and safe. A) a lot of times you'll encounter deep/steep holes in the bottom, the sides of which can be so soft you can't get any footing to back away from them due to the sand collapsing under your feet, and B) a mild rip can become instantly ferocious with just a single surge or two as the retreating water from these surges rushes back out. Hunt them only when they are mild and exposed and you can maintain solid footing and at the first sign of the incoming tide change get out. I spend a lot of time in these type areas so trust in what I'm telling you. In fact, if the offshore beyond the bar is rough with a strong wind behind it is probably a good idea just to avoid these areas all together. Same can be said when there is a strong long current condition. Rip tide and long current conditions, surf conditions, etc., are usually monitored daily and forecast several days ahead. Find those sources for your area. :thumbsup: And as Joe says, a PFD is worth the investment.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread