J

J hoss

Nov 1, 2014
Western Ky
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess that's information I need to have included (duh) yes the rivers in my area the Cumberland, Tennessee and the Ohio are navigable, and have tow boat traffic

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Then if it were me, I'd do it. But like everywhere (even innocuous parks, forests, etc...), if you ask enough people "can I?", you will eventually always find someone to tell you "no". So I don't tend to ask many silly questions of bored desk-bound pencil pushers.

Bobby Bridge

Jun 17, 2010
Center Line M I
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in Michigan the state owns all land under the water. We can walk anywere as long as we stay off the banks

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In Kentucky and most of the eastern states the State controls navigable waters for the benefit of the public. In none of those states does the public have a right to use the banks of the waterways for anything not related to navigation. It's not the actual soil that the state controls for the benefit of the public but the use of the water itself. That water is subject to private riparian rights of use but the navigation of the waters is open to the public.

I see you are in Kentucky? Here is a short explanation by the Circuit Court Judge. That's who you will be answering to ultimately so you might as well know what the one who will be hearing your story thinks.

In summary:
You have the right to navigate the public waters.
You have no right to detect or dig the banks or soils of the public waterways.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Laws are different everywhere. In Michigan it is the property owner. However if you are wading the river and come to an unpassable point you are allowed to use the land to get around that point. Not allowed to linger. Part of fishermans rights laws. Very difficult to get solid info on metal detecting here. Often if you ask they do not Know but shortly thereafter the area you asked about will be closed. Invest in a plat book for your area. you might be suprised at how much is actually public property.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread