River Hunting

Silver Ring

Jul 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys this is my first post. I have been searching a river near my house for coins,rings, and other treasure. I am trying to figure the best spots to look. My question is:

Will rings and coins migrate over time with the current or stay put on the river bottom?

The river near me is generally between 2-4ft deep with some middle areas between 5-15ft. It has some small rapid areas and the current is stronger in the middle. The river is about 75 yards wide. When it rains hard the level rises an a lot of sediment and debris flows.

I know an area where several people have given me first person accounts of losing gold rings and jewelry. Engagement rings in some cases. Any search insight?

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins and rings won't go far, especially in calm water. Go where the swimmers go.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are in a region that freezes hard in the winter then the ice build-up and release (and snow-malt flooding) in the spring can move the river all over the place. Even fairly deep.

One of the deepest coins I have found was a (dratted) 1996 Roosevelt dime that had been 10" deep in the sediment beside a river. Near the same spot (within 50 ft) I found a Indian Head cent that was on the surface of a shale ledge - the obverse worn smooth.

Where I work we are having to have a channel dredged that moved 100 ft away from our outflow pipes in the course of two flooding events (2006 & 2011). One spot was 12 ft deep but is now a gravel bar 2 ft above normal river level.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best of luck and welcome from Northern Virginia :hello:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Inside bends of the river are where small, heavy gold rings will migrate to during heavy flooding and fast water times. As already suggested, look for spots that are natural swimming, or fording areas. Welcome from New York!:headbang:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum!

IMHO: It depends on a few factors; some are: places people may enjoy swimming, look for rope swings on trees and places that the water turns direction.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet, the AT PRO and most of all, be careful. I would suggest an observer on shore. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

Silver Ring

Jul 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I'm in NE Pennsylvania and the river does freeze over. So it makes sense to check a river bend just downstream from the swimming location in case of movement due to ice and or flooding. Correct?

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Silver Ring, A Big Welcome to you to the Tnet forum from Georgia. Good advice given here. If you haven't already seen them, Acquachigger has some good videos on Utube concerning river hunting. He uses a lot of detectors, but it seems he mainly uses the Garrett AT Pro and the AT Gold for river hunting. He has a lot of good info out there concerning river hunting. Just a thought. Best of Luck to you.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys this is my first post...
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard Silver Ring from another resident of the great state of PA! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Pennsylvania for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to PA.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Where the swings are, where mothers sit with babies or to watch the younger kids, that's usually 2 feet deep or less. And my favorite besides swing area's is about breast deep. Where guys can stand on their hands and walk around for the ladies and have stuff fall out of their pockets. Rings and coins very seldom travel very far once they come off. People stepping on them while swimming and wading will push them down and sediment will collect over them but it also washes sediment away when the river is up. Greatest places in the world to detect is old swimming holes. Here in south Arkansas they were all crossings during the civil war and usually guarded, we find civil war bullets and stuff in them along with jewelry and silver coins from modern times. I use a detector pro pirate...d2

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time out river hunting the first thing I found was,.. another guy detecting in the swimming hole! I suspect our rivers are pretty similar. I hunt in Md close to the Pa line. I check the swimming hole first but we keep the spots pretty clean. Then I check in the riffles of any bedrock that partially or completely spans the river and in behind big boulders. I am no pro tho. Right now the river is too flooded to detect here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions